20TH Century Boys

Ultimate_Bigby

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
100
Location
Santiago de Chile
Last night, a friend of mine who is always saying that the japanese comics are so much better than the americans, sent me a copy of 20TH Century Boys trying to convert me to the manga side... and i think he just did it.

Seriously, i'm enjoying this even more than the ultimates.

Here you can know what is it about

EDIT: I just realised that the article on the wikipedia has to many spoilers so I changed the link to another review.
 
Last edited:

ourchair

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
13,105
Location
Philippines
thee great one said:
Looks interesting. As it been made into Anime?
Looks genuinely intriguing. And TGO, you should seriously consider diving into the manga market if you like anime as much as you seem to suggest. Besides, even if they adapted this into an anime, I think pursuing it in graphic novel form is something to consider.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
I picked up a manga book one time, but I didn't buy it because it had a major manufacturer's defect - the entire book was printed and bound backward! I thought Japan was supposed be like a technological leader or something...how does something like that get past quality control? :roll: :roll: :roll: OMG LOLZ!!!!!!11111oneone
 

Friday

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Messages
8,903
Location
Washington, PA
Wanna know why Manga is ahead of Western (Not really american with all the european talent in the pool anymore) comics? They've been taking it seriously longer. Thats the entire reason. Its been taken seriously longer ,and because of that more telented people have seen it as a viable carrer path. Theres probably countless people in the western pool that would be doing just as good a job but they jsut go "Meh, it's just a comic book."

Manga is good though.
 

ourchair

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
13,105
Location
Philippines
GMaster said:
Meh, GTO is cooler.
GTO rocks. While the anime is slavishly faithful, I deeply recommend it being read in the manga format. Heartily recommended. Without mercy.
 

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
17,832
Location
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
I've been a big fan of Kentaro Miura's Berserk series for awhile now. I first heard about it when I saw the anime's a few years ago, and immediately started researching the manga. Dark Horse just started releasing translated volumes here in the US a few years ago, so I was finally able to read the originals. They've released up to Volume 8 so far, releasing a new one every three months (4 per year). I think so far there are 28 volumes that have been released in Japan, so at the rate theyre releasing them its going to take awhile to catch up, but its still good to see them.

Its a ultra-violent manga, but I like Miura's style compared to a lot of other manga I've read. While he still has the Japanese manga look to his characters, theyre substantially more realisitic looking than most manga art. I guess he's sort of like the Brian Hitch of the manga world in that sense. The story is very interesting, jumping around a lot through the life of the main character Guts. He's a tough SOB, nearly been killed a hundred times over but he keeps coming back for more. And he weilds this huge, 12 foot long sword (phallic reference anyone?). The book deals with everything from demons, monsters, and warfare to fate and destiny, idolotry, and love. Either way, its a very cool book, would recommend checking it out.
 

Friday

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Messages
8,903
Location
Washington, PA
DIrishB said:
I've been a big fan of Kentaro Miura's Berserk series for awhile now. I first heard about it when I saw the anime's a few years ago, and immediately started researching the manga. Dark Horse just started releasing translated volumes here in the US a few years ago, so I was finally able to read the originals. They've released up to Volume 8 so far, releasing a new one every three months (4 per year). I think so far there are 28 volumes that have been released in Japan, so at the rate theyre releasing them its going to take awhile to catch up, but its still good to see them.

Its a ultra-violent manga, but I like Miura's style compared to a lot of other manga I've read. While he still has the Japanese manga look to his characters, theyre substantially more realisitic looking than most manga art. I guess he's sort of like the Brian Hitch of the manga world in that sense. The story is very interesting, jumping around a lot through the life of the main character Guts. He's a tough SOB, nearly been killed a hundred times over but he keeps coming back for more. And he weilds this huge, 12 foot long sword (phallic reference anyone?). The book deals with everything from demons, monsters, and warfare to fate and destiny, idolotry, and love. Either way, its a very cool book, would recommend checking it out.
I've read some Berserk, its very cool. So was the anime.

Now what I want to read are Hellsing and Trigun.
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
Baxter said:
I've read some Berserk, its very cool. So was the anime.

Now what I want to read are Hellsing and Trigun.

My friend supposedly has some big hardcover collection of Trigun that I want to see...
 

Ultimate_Bigby

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
100
Location
Santiago de Chile
thee great one said:
Looks interesting. As it been made into Anime?
Not yet, as far as i know.

GMaster said:
Meh, GTO is cooler.
Ha!, you have no idea...

Anyway, i already read 18 volumes of it and all i can say that is probably the most touching, smart, and thrilling (all convined) thing i've ever read.
Although in the first half of the first volume doesn't happen too much action and it seems kinda slow, in the next half comes some plot twists, and in the next volumes all gets connected (even the characthers who appear very little). And thats something really good, cause almost every character is so real that makes you want more of them.
This easly kicks the *** of the 90% of comics i've ever read (and i have good taste).
Maybe is going to be hard to find it, so anyone who is interested can pm and i will help...
 

Ultimate_Bigby

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
100
Location
Santiago de Chile
Ok, I've already read the new volume and all I can say is just... whoa!

This is probably the only stuff that has got me crying while reading it. You all should be reading it. I know you will love it, specially the fans of Lost...
 

compound

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
2,772
Location
Metro Manila, Philippines
I'm intrigued now, after reading the Wikipedia entry. Sounds a bit like Donnie Darko crossed with Reunion, only Japanese.

Okay, that sounded a lot more dismissive and stupid than I meant it to be.
 

naughtyninja

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2005
Messages
82
Location
Philippines
the otaku emerges

your recommendation on this title has got me intrigued...i actually love manga and anime, but have developed irritating standards. i guess i'm just not willing to shell out the cash for a title that ends up settling lukewarm in my belly. case in point: damn fangirls were raving about Saiyuki, and it was one of the worst reads i've ever bought. can't exactly get a refund for that.

at any rate, 20th Century Boys sounds good good GOOD.

has anyone here read GYO? still one of the most disturbing things i've ever read. i'm currently collecting clamp's xxxholic (out of all their current titles, this one tones down the useless cute boy shots and concentrates on both story and good art).

Wanna know why Manga is ahead of Western (Not really american with all the european talent in the pool anymore) comics? They've been taking it seriously longer. Thats the entire reason. Its been taken seriously longer ,and because of that more telented people have seen it as a viable carrer path. Theres probably countless people in the western pool that would be doing just as good a job but they jsut go "Meh, it's just a comic book."

Manga is good though.

this is so true. that, and almost anyone can make manga. most get away with being a one-man (or one-woman) show, shelling out fantastic titles. even with the multitude of mediocre titles, you're bound to find more gems, due to the immense amount of manga!
 

Bass

Nexus of the World
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
14,167
Location
Folkestone, UK
UltimateE said:
I picked up a manga book one time, but I didn't buy it because it had a major manufacturer's defect - the entire book was printed and bound backward! I thought Japan was supposed be like a technological leader or something...how does something like that get past quality control? :roll: :roll: :roll: OMG LOLZ!!!!!!11111oneone

:lol:

I'll try to pick up 20th Century Boys. I've been meaning to actually bother trying to get into manga for ages.
 

Ultimate_Bigby

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
100
Location
Santiago de Chile
Ok, I was doing some research and now I know that this is not going to be published on America until 2007 or something, because they are going to wait until the previous work (Monster) of the autor (Naoki Urasawa) is totaly published. I believe that only the first to volumes of Monster are alredy on the stores so is going to take a while.

Still, you can download the scanlations of 20th Century Boys which are up to the volume 19 in perfect english.

First time I'm happy of not being on the States and being able to speak spanish 8)

EDIT: I've hear that Monster is really good too, and Naoiki Urasawa is a real master so you actually could try to get it.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top