4 Ultimate books get delayed

ultimate x-men 73 is the 300th ultimate marvel comic

let's have a party :crazy:

UWv.H is really starting to push it tho' and i don't care about lost and i've never watched it maybe they should just pass this off to another writer so they can finish it

Straight from Bendis:

"Leniel's already an issue deep into his run. I can't comment on Ultimate Wolverine versus Hulk, other than to say the delay wasn't Leniel and his ability to put out a book. He's as fast as Bagley, and they're beautiful pages."

From http://www.newsarama.com/WW_Chicago_06/Marvel/NA_26.html

There you go, even though I think most of us assumed as much.

Ultxon said:
Straight from Bendis:

"Leniel's already an issue deep into his run. I can't comment on Ultimate Wolverine versus Hulk, other than to say the delay wasn't Leniel and his ability to put out a book. He's as fast as Bagley, and they're beautiful pages."

From http://www.newsarama.com/WW_Chicago_06/Marvel/NA_26.html

There you go, even though I think most of us assumed as much.

Yeah, no big surprise.

I'm honestly wondering how Marvel and Lindelof are going to work around his busy schedule. With Season 3 of Lost gearing up and keeping him tied up through next May (2007), as well as his work on the next Star Trek film, I'm not seeing how he's going to find time to finish this series in the next couple of years.

Maybe after Lost finishes up in another 2 or 3 years?

From today's Ultimate panel:

The question and answer period then began again with a fan asking on the progress of "Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine." Quesada said they were waiting on the final scripts and that writer Damon Lindelof would be writing them all in one sitting.

"No one works harder than Damon," Loeb said of the co-creator of "Lost" for which also writer for. "He can write an episode of 'Lost' in a weekend but he's so meticulous when it comes to comics. He's constantly writing and rewriting. He doesn't want it to be a great story that turns into crap."

Last edited:
Ice said:
From today's Ultimate panel:
The question and answer period then began again with a fan asking on the progress of "Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine." Quesada said they were waiting on the final scripts and that writer Damon Lindelof would be writing them all in one sitting.

"No one works harder than Damon," Loeb said of the co-creator of "Lost" for which also writer for. "He can write an episode of 'Lost' in a weekend but he's so meticulous when it comes to comics. He's constantly writing and rewriting. He doesn't want it to be a great story that turns into crap."

Hmmmm...

It seems to suggest that the reason for the delay isn't because he's got all sorts of (better paying, higher-profile, time consuming, very unforgiving in terms of deadline) TV work to do, but because he's really, really fussing over that issue three script. If that is REALLY the case, I am nonplussed both by Lindelhof's skewed sense of priority and the fact that Marvel whole-heartedly accepts "writer's snit" as a valid excuse. (That said, it would explain the dip in creative energy in the later episodes of LOST. And here I thought the concept had simply lost a bit of its novelty.)
Far more likey, the truth is more along the lines of "We jumped at a shot to work with a guy who has a lot of better things to do, and now we're more-or-less reduced to taking what we can get, when we can get it."
I don't begrudge Lindelhof in all of this. I can relate to being too busy to get everything done. Hulk vs. Wolverine one was pretty good, two was o.k., and I have no overwhelming need for issue three to show up any time soon.
I don't even mind Marvel's apparent policy of accepting huge delays — in almost all cases, I'd rather that than switch writers/artists — but Quesada's comments seem a bit disingenuous.

plungingforward said:
It seems to suggest that the reason for the delay isn't because he's got all sorts of (better paying, higher-profile, time consuming, very unforgiving in terms of deadline) TV work to do, but because he's really, really fussing over that issue three script. If that is REALLY the case, I am nonplussed both by Lindelhof's skewed sense of priority and the fact that Marvel whole-heartedly accepts "writer's snit" as a valid excuse. (That said, it would explain the dip in creative energy in the later episodes of LOST. And here I thought the concept had simply lost a bit of its novelty.)
Far more likey, the truth is more along the lines of "We jumped at a shot to work with a guy who has a lot of better things to do, and now we're more-or-less reduced to taking what we can get, when we can get it."
I don't begrudge Lindelhof in all of this. I can relate to being too busy to get everything done. Hulk vs. Wolverine one was pretty good, two was o.k., and I have no overwhelming need for issue three to show up any time soon.
I don't even mind Marvel's apparent policy of accepting huge delays — in almost all cases, I'd rather that than switch writers/artists — but Quesada's comments seem a bit disingenuous.
It wasn't said why #3 has been said, but it's assumed that it has been re-written.

And NOW it's because he's re-writing why #4-6 are not solicited. It WAS because of the show before. It has nothing to do with "he had better things to do". Marvel knew Lost was his first and foremost commitment. Like E pointed out, you can be late with comics, but with the show, you can't. Unless, of course, you want to be fired. He has his priorities. Marvel knew this since Day 1. So the actual blame doesn't fall upon Lindelof as much as it really falls upon Marvel for not waiting for a better time.

Last edited:
Ice said:
It has nothing to do with "he had better things to do". Marvel knew Lost was his first and foremost commitment. Like E pointed out, you can be late with comics, but with the show, you can't. Unless, of course, you want to be fired. He has his priorities.

We're not really disagreeing here. You call them priorities. I call them "better things to do." My tone is snippier, but we both agree with E and we're both saying (A) Lost takes priority and (B) Marvel knows it. So I said it was "better" - which, on the face of it, a huge hit TV gig surely is. It's a bear and a millstone, but one anybody would gladly take up. How does having "priorities" (things to do, essentially) have nothing to do with having "better things to do" (higher priorities, eseentially)? A different tone, same tune.

My point about Quesada is seperate. Do you REALLY think Lindelof is taking so long solely because he's being six-odd-months worth of picky? Because that's what Joe seems to be trying to sell us. Why couldn't he just say "Lindelof is a busy guy. Real busy. He'll get to it, and he'll make sure it is good. But he's got other stuff on his plate and needs time and leeway." I could live with that. In fact, (as above) I understand and appreciate it. Instead, JQ says "Lost? He writes that in his spare time! It's this Hulk/Wolverine thing that's the real priority! He's going word-by-word on this, over the course of half a year, to make sure it's GREAT!" I believe this demonstrates a lack of candor. If you don't, I guess we just don't see eye-to-eye on this issue.

Last edited:
plungingforward said:
We're not really disagreeing here. You call them priorities. I call them "better things to do." My tone is snippier, but we both agree with E and we're both saying (A) Lost takes priority and (B) Marvel knows it. So I said it was "better" - which, on the face of it, a huge hit TV gig surely is. It's a bear and a millstone, but one anybody would gladly take up. How does having "priorities" (things to do, essentially) have nothing to do with having "better things to do" (higher priorities, eseentially)? A different tone, same tune.
It's nothing with a "better thing to do". It's something that he HAS to do, being contracted to write the series and all.

plungingforward said:
My point about Quesada is seperate. Do you REALLY think Lindelof is taking so long solely because he's being picky and really, really wants a quality book?
Why not? Because you'd rather think it's just a lie? Want to think that everything is just a lie or something? Why can't he take his time with this, knowing he can?

plungingforward said:
Because that's what Joe seems to be trying to sell us. Why couldn't he just say "Lindelof is a busy guy. Real busy. He'll get to it, and he'll make sure it is good. But he's got other stuff on his plate and needs time and leeway." I could live with that. In fact, (as above) I understand and appreciate it.
The hell? That sounds like the exact same thing, just that you want it to sound "prettier" to you or something.

plungingforward said:
Instead, JQ says "Lost? He writes that in his spare time! It's this Hulk/Wolverine thing that's the real priority! He's going word-by-word on this, over the course of half a year, to make sure it's GREAT!" I believe this demonstrates a lack of candor. If you don't, I guess we just don't see eye-to-eye on this issue.
What the hell are you saying there? Lindelof isn't doing that and Quesada is not saying that either. :?

Last edited:
*head explodes from reading Ice's post*

none of which changes the fact that Ultimates 2 #12 is slipping away, like a beautiful girl in a crowd, never to be seen again :(

Hey, I'm just moping. Flick peanuts at me until I cheer up, OK?

<dutifully flips peanuts all around, then stuffs down his own fistfull. It doesn't help enough.>
The root of our scuffle is, then, that we take different tacks on what JQ is saying. When I read his statement, I don't get the same read out of it you do. I don't think EVERYTHING'S a lie (that sounded like an odd statement on your part, btw), just this bit - and perhaps closer to "gross overstatement" than outright lie.
The rest of the seperations you're trying to make ("better things to do," et al) seem to stem from a similar tonal dissonance between the two of us that the internet makes so easily possible.
I think joe's overstating things to put a "positive spin" on the situation that I don't think it needs. You don't think he's doing that at all.
It's simple loggerheads, and keeping on about it is folly.

Latest posts

Back