80s Cartoon Villains

But I'm telling you now Joe....if you remember anything substantial about Gaiking Force Five and it's Space Dragon......you're gonna have my chubby mulatto babies.

Well, you're safe there. I don't have any substantial memories fo that from my childhood except for having, like, a Dangard Ace toy for soem reason. But I did just read the first nine issues of Marvel's Shogun Warriors series.

I still have a copy Flight of Dragons my mom made probably twenty years ago now that I break out and watch and every few years. It truly is the finest animated film ever created. I've heard hints of a possible DVD release in the not-too-distant future as well. Oh, and somebody's got the entire thing up on Youtube. http://youtube.com/watch?v=LudfQsviuw4

Also, I've just rediscovered the joys of Monster Squad for the first time in over a decade. My mom taped EVERYTHING and I still have it all.

If I hadn't already voted for you in Greatest Member this would've sealed it, my brother in FoD love!

Last edited:
Also, I've just rediscovered the joys of Monster Squad for the first time in over a decade. My mom taped EVERYTHING and I still have it all.

If I hadn't already voted for you in Greatest Member this would've sealed it, my brother in FoD love!

MONSTER SQUAD!

No mentions of the great Oroku Nagi, otherwise known as The Shredder...

TMNT1987_Shredder.png

You know what I miss in cartoons? Blatant cultural and ethnic stereotypes.

I remember that in any given cartoon like G.I. Joe or whatever, if a Japanese guy or a Mexican dude or some Indian fella got into trouble, he would take great pains to remind people that he was Japanese, Mexican or Indian. The best ones are when the stereotypes are absolutely wrong.

For example, if the Indian guy fell into a vegetable market, he'd say "I fell down and now I'm a falafel!" Or if a Japanese dude narrowly averted death by speargun, he'd say, "I was almost shish kebabed!" and if the Mexican got covered in a tarpaulin and couldn't get out, he'd be guaranteed to say "I feel like I'm a burrito!"

I miss those moments.

So I almost geeked out at work today.

For a brief second it seemed as if a co-worker got this reference to an old anime/live action cartoon from when I was a kid. But then he let me down as most people usually do.

Anyone else remember a show/movie called "Attack of the Super Monsters"?

Some Random DVD Website said:
If ever there was proof that everything and anything is getting released to DVD these days, the announcement that Attack of the Super Monsters will soon be permanently enshrined on digital media is surefire proof of it. If you've never even heard of Attack of the Super Monsters, then this DVD is a must-see for you, especially if you like Japanese monster movies and Inframan-level insanity.

Attack of the Super Monsters, originally released in 1982, is actually a badly English dubbed movie compilation of the first four episodes of a low budget Japanese TV show from 1977 called "Dinosaur Wars Aizenborg" that was produced by Tsuburaya, the folks responsible for "Ultraman". This was not one of their prouder productions.

Thought the dinosaurs were extinct? Wrong! They just burrowed deep into the earth where they've been living undetected all this time, evolving into talking super monsters. Now they've decided to reclaim the surface world for their own and that's bad news for us humans, in particular those living in Japan. Under the leadership of Emperor Tyrannus, a talking T-Rex that bark commands like "Attack! Kill! Destroy!", the super monsters surface and declare war on mankind. The only thing standing in their way is Gemini Command, a Thunderbirds-ish quartet that includes a brother-sister tandem who can combine to form a single super-powered being, great for vanquishing giant talking rubber monsters.

As if the premise alone weren't wacky enough, the whole thing is brought to life through a combination of animation, suitmation, miniatures, and puppetry - all rather crude even for its time. The sight of man-in-suit monsters laying waste to model cities while cartoon civilians flee for their lives or animated characters ride around inside a model attack vehicle waging war with puppet monsters is a sight to behold.

The chintzy production values, combined with the simply atrocious English dubbing and the virtually incoherent narrative that just keeps throwing stuff at you with little rhyme or reason, results in a positively surreal experience that will either amuse the schlock lover in you or give you a massive headache.

The MVD Entertainment Group will be releasing Attack of the Super Monsters (previously only available in the form of a hard-to-find VHS version that wasn't of the best quality due to having been released in EP format) on June 5th with a SRP of $14.95.

Now one big complaint: Is that really the best cover art they could come up with? As bad a five-minute Photoshop job as I've ever seen. Heck, I've seen street corner movie vendors with better cover art on their bootlegs

Latest posts

Back