A ? for people who recently got back into comics...

I never really collected comics as a kid, I just read the occasional comic here and there, and it wasn't until I saw the first two trades of Ultimate X-men in the bookstore that I started reading the Ultimate line. Soon I was hooked, unfourtunately I have to kind of buget myself keep my list short.
Currently I'm reading Ultimate X-Men, Ultimates, Runaways, Fables, and I just started on Young Avengers today.

The only difference from now and then is that I have the $ now to buy whatever I want! If anything I'll be buying more comics!

I certainly fit into the template you described, Ice. I collected comix from junior high school until about a year into college, and stopped because of expense and lack of convenience; there wasn't an easy way to keep up with it where my university was. Always missed it. So I graduated college in 91, and ever since, whenever i passed a comic store i felt a little pang of longing. A few years back I started reading Preacher in trades, and loved it. During another trip to a comics store last year in which i was fooling myself into thinking i'd never buy another one again, i started browsing USM, figured i'd pick it up in trades. Well, that was the gateway to the rest of the UU, and I realized that since I am now gainfully employed, and an adult, and if I budget myself, i could easily get back in it all again. And yeah, the expense makes it easier to be far more discriminate about continuing a title that isn't doing it for me. But for the time being, i LOVE being a collector again. The big two, indies, wherever there's a great story being told. Who's to say my financial situation won't change again, but it seems my passion has been constant, even if it was dormant for a while. Will I still care in my 40's? 50's? Do senior citizens read comics? Who knows? For now i'll just say never say never.

Hey, this is an excellent topic...

I read ALOT of comics when I was young. In fact, back around 4th grade (mind you, im 21 now) I first got big into Spider-Man on a trip to florida, i had bought a bunch of comics. The storyline.... the clone saga :) Maybe it was a bad story, but to me I loved it, still do, and would buy it if they put it in trade. So I loved comics, and somewhere along 8th-9th grade, i stopped. I cant tell you why, because I myself dont know.

Skip to November of 04. I had some problems, and moved in with a friend and his family. His little brother, Anthony, was 13 and playing CoH. One day I noticed that he had this book called "Ultimate Spider-Man". I EVEN teased him about reading it. He handed me vol. 1 and was like "just read this book"... and i LOVED it, i couldnt get enough, I would go over the g/f's house and sit there and read them (she would be pissed :) )

I honestly dont buy the COMICS alot, because I really love collecting trades, and I mainly only get Ultimates.

Im up to 465 tpb now, and i use www.INSTOCKTRADES.com for 35% off + free shipping or ebay (if you play the cards right, you can get anywhere from 50-90% off)

Also, when I was young, i HATED DC (dont know why) but as of now I read ALOT of them, both Marvel and DC have TONS of good stories, and there has NEVER been a time when I couldnt find tons of books to get, so if anyone would like a recommendation, im here :)

Ultimates said:
Also, when I was young, i HATED DC (dont know why)

A lot of kids say that exact same thing. Like me.

I still don't read DC, but it's not cause I hate it; I just don't have the money to buy both Marvel and DC, plus DC's not exactly new-reader friendly to some. It's too much for me.

Now, Nurhachi just refuses to admit the above paragraph. :)

Ultimates said:
The storyline.... the clone saga :) Maybe it was a bad story, but to me I loved it, still do, and would buy it if they put it in trade.

My background is similar, but I was a couple years ahead of you (Carnage).

Why I Left Comics

I've read through many of the newbie intros and many including myself stopped collecting long ago and just recently started again. Why, what went wrong. Me personally I think I just got bored at first, but then a couple of months later I went to check out what was happening in the wonderful world of marvel, just as the Hereos Reborn crap was happening. Then finally my local comic shop closed and I had no way of collecting. So I thought it would be cool to share why everyone stopped and why you all restarted.

Last edited:
Re: Why I Left Comics

fcpunfan said:
I've read through many of the newbie intros and many including myself stopped collecting long ago and just recently started again. Why, what went wrong. Me personally I think I just got bored at first, but then a couple of months later I went to check out what was happening in the wonderful world of marvel, just as the Hereos Reborn crap was happening. Then finally my local comic shop closed and I had no way of collecting. So I thought it would be cool to share why everyone stopped and why you all restarted.

For me I dont know... I mean, i just stop. I got older and just stop buying them. The last one I remember buying was Wolverine 100 with the hologram wolverine on the front .And the was like what, 96? So here I am 10 years later and like Emeril says, "BAM" it hit me big. All thanks to a little interested I had from the Civil War ads and a good buddy of mine who was still collecting. Now we talk about it everyday in the office. I would would some stuff on wikipedia about my favorite characters but i just couldnt resist. I think from May this year to now I spent about 300-500 bucks on comics. Ouch. Catching up is the makes your pockets lighter.

Latest posts

Back