A new Blade movie?

A Blade reboot would be stupid. The first Blade was already a "revamp" of sorts, of the Blade comics. Actually, I think it's almost impossible to reboot the Blade movie franchise. If they do any more movies/TV shows about Blade, they need to do Nightstalkers or Midnight Sons, or something along those lines. I had an idea for Morbius, it was like a movie Blade-style Morbius, with spikey hair and a goatee, and all-black clothing. He looked like Warp Savant from Uncanny X-Men (Warp Savant is a one-time character who appeared in one issue of Uncanny X-Men, the first issue written by Joe Casey).

Doesn't mean it's the only network/schedule block that can do it.

Seriously, I don't even know why the network is so important? Is this from the same school of discussion as "It's GOTTA be on HBO!"?

It just sounds like a good fit from what I know of Nextwave

A Blade reboot would be stupid. The first Blade was already a "revamp" of sorts, of the Blade comics. Actually, I think it's almost impossible to reboot the Blade movie franchise. If they do any more movies/TV shows about Blade, they need to do Nightstalkers or Midnight Sons, or something along those lines. I had an idea for Morbius, it was like a movie Blade-style Morbius, with spikey hair and a goatee, and all-black clothing. He looked like Warp Savant from Uncanny X-Men (Warp Savant is a one-time character who appeared in one issue of Uncanny X-Men, the first issue written by Joe Casey).
Depending on the rating, I would be willing to watch something like this.

While I am a big fan of the Midnight Sons comics (a fact to which I probably should not admit in public :wink: ), I think it would be difficult to adapt that to a screenplay, given the fairly large number of characters involved. It's difficult to give nine characters, plus supporting cast, fair treatment in a two-hour movie. Doing a Nightstalkers film would be easier, I think. (And I'm talking about the actual comic book series Nightstalkers, not a break-out movie about the group from Blade 3. At WizardWorld Philly, I happened to catch most of author Marv Wolfman's presentation. Wolfman originally created the character of Hannibal King, and when he commented that "Hannibal King made it to the big screen... [pause] or at least the name did", I almost cheered. Someone else thought the adaptation of the character was poorly done.)

I have a difficult time working up a lot of interest in Blade as a solo character. He seems rather one-and-a-half dimensional – the surly guy who kills vampires and snarls menacingly at everyone else. Obviously, given his background and occupation, he's not going to be all sweetness and light, but he's just too dark and brooding for my tastes. I really think he needs other characters to balance him.

What's the general consensus on the Blade film trilogy? The impression I'm getting is that the first film was good and the rest got mixed reactions. I've only seen the third, and was thoroughly underwelmed, so I was wondering what everyone else's opinion was.

What's the general consensus on the Blade film trilogy? The impression I'm getting is that the first film was good and the rest got mixed reactions. I've only seen the third, and was thoroughly underwelmed, so I was wondering what everyone else's opinion was.

I loved the first one , The second was good but IMO not as good as 1 , trinity sucked. But that is just my opinion

I have a difficult time working up a lot of interest in Blade as a solo character. He seems rather one-and-a-half dimensional – the surly guy who kills vampires and snarls menacingly at everyone else. Obviously, given his background and occupation, he's not going to be all sweetness and light, but he's just too dark and brooding for my tastes. I really think he needs other characters to balance him.
I agree with this.

I really liked the first two Blade movies, but that is only to the extent that I enjoy them for what they are --- hot-blooded macho carnage --- and my problem wiht him is that he needs those balancing characters you suggest simply because there isn't much of a character arc you can work with him.

They toy around with his 'conflicted feelings' about being like the very creatures he hunts, but they never actually do anything with it. The first film had him accept it, by the mid point of the second film he embraces it, and after that the film makers just don't seem really interested in trying to do anything with him after that point.

Seldes Katne said:
While I am a big fan of the Midnight Sons comics (a fact to which I probably should not admit in public ), I think it would be difficult to adapt that to a screenplay, given the fairly large number of characters involved. It's difficult to give nine characters, plus supporting cast, fair treatment in a two-hour movie. Doing a Nightstalkers film would be easier, I think.
I tend to think very liberally about things like this, so I wouldn't mind any film that is 'Nightstalkers' or 'Midnight Sons' but plays fast and loose with the line up of characters they choose to use here.

I imagine with the right writing and character juggling one could write a Nightstalkers films that has various Midnight Sons and other horror-esque themed marvel characters walk on for single-scene supporting roles or as cameos they encounter during their investiations. Imagine it like the scenes from the first two trades of Powers in which Deena and Walker interrogate superhumans, with loads of cameos.

I loved the first one , The second was good but IMO not as good as 1 , trinity sucked. But that is just my opinion
While I would have phrased it a little differently, I agree with your assessment of the third film.

I really liked the first two Blade movies, but that is only to the extent that I enjoy them for what they are --- hot-blooded macho carnage --- and my problem wiht him is that he needs those balancing characters you suggest simply because there isn't much of a character arc you can work with him.
Well, I'm sure it will come as no surprise that I don't care much for carnage --macho or otherwise -- so I'm not too unhappy about having missed the first two films. (And most of the television series of the same name.)

I tend to think very liberally about things like this, so I wouldn't mind any film that is 'Nightstalkers' or 'Midnight Sons' but plays fast and loose with the line up of characters they choose to use here.
I can be liberal with this up to a point (if that makes any sense), if only to get rid of the sexist element of the original series. The Midnight Sons titles were like the Star Wars films; I liked them, but they were very heavy on the testosterone, and I think Buffy has proven that vampire-fighting is not just "a man's job" anymore. (At some point I should stop by the "Women in Comics" thread and post some of the plot summaries and cast listings as an example of sexism in comics; out of all the on-going characters, exactly two were women, and one of them was killed a few issues into the series and, unlike most of the men, was not resurrected. Which is too bad, because she was one of the more interesting characters.)

I think the Nightstalkers in Blade 3 were an attempt to correct this problem, but for me it really didn't work very well. (I mean, really -- taking on half a dozen vampires while wearing earphones connected to loud music? Does that seem really counter-productive to anyone else? Was she supposed to be using the Force, or what?)

I imagine with the right writing and character juggling one could write a Nightstalkers films that has various Midnight Sons and other horror-esque themed marvel characters walk on for single-scene supporting roles or as cameos they encounter during their investiations.
Sure, which is why I think it would be easier to do a Nightstalkers movie than a Midnight Sons film, unless you substantially altered the idea behind there having to be nine members of the Sons (plus, you know, support staff). Working with three or four main characters, plus one or two main villains, should be easier than juggling the fourteen or so major players in the Midnight Sons titles. Of course, as you mentioned, it would depend a lot on the writers.

but sucked is perfect as it shows it was bad and makes a Vampire Pun :D

Love the corny pun, love the new avatar.

+2 Langsta points (Langsta points, unlike Ourchair points or POTDs, are relatively worthless, obviously, however they are guaranteed to bring you great pleasure in your abdominal area, roughly equivalent to one back rub from William Shatner).

Last edited:
+2 Langsta points (Langsta points, unlike Ourchair points or POTDs, are relatively worthless, obviously, however they are guaranteed to bring you great pleasure in your abdominal area, roughly equivalent to one back rub from William Shatner).
Uh... ew?

but sucked is perfect as it shows it was bad and makes a Vampire Pun :D
Okay, point taken.

Love the corny pun, love the new avatar.

I'm not getting the reference, but I think I'd really prefer that you not enlighten me on this. Perhaps we could save this sort of thing for UC Lounge discussions and get back on topic here.

Latest posts

Back