A question

Is this a serious question or a joke thread? I can never tell.

I'd have to say high breeding rates, best intellect on the planet, and the concept of morality, which keep most of us from killing ourselves in a nuclear armeggedeon.

Because we've become able to circumvent evolution and survival of the fittest by invention

The future will be an eerie combination of the movies Idiocracy and Wall-E

Because we've become able to circumvent evolution and survival of the fittest by invention

The future will be an eerie combination of the movies Idiocracy and Wall-E

Wall-E is a sequel to Idiocracy.

I'd have to say high breeding rates, best intellect on the planet, and the concept of morality, which keep most of us from killing ourselves in a nuclear armeggedeon.

I think the bolded is the issue in question.

I think calling that "morality" is somewhat dubious. I think our success comes innately from self-preservation rather than some inherent sense of right and wrong. It's a combination of intellect and social conditioning. We recognize the value of society because we realize that the fruits of society are better than the subsistence of being a hermit. Nuclear armageddon isn't beneficial for anyone, and even the most vile of criminals recognize the value of society, even if they consciously subvert it for their own means. It's a social contract, not moral realism, that keeps us in check.

I just find the idea kind of unnerving (and unfounded!) that we've somehow succeeded because we are superior to other species on some sort of spiritual level.

Gemini said:

I think the fact that we've been able to survive obviously makes us "the fittest", at least until we cease to survive. It's just a new definition of fitness.

Last edited:
I think calling that "morality" is somewhat dubious. I think our success comes innately from self-preservation rather than some inherent sense of right and wrong. It's a combination of intellect and social conditioning. We recognize the value of society because we realize that the fruits of society are better than the subsistence of being a hermit. Nuclear armageddon isn't beneficial for anyone, and even the most vile of criminals recognize the value of society, even if they consciously subvert it for their own means. It's a social contract, not moral realism, that keeps us in check.

I just find the idea kind of unnerving (and unfounded!) that we've somehow succeeded because we are superior to other species on some sort of spiritual level.

I think the fact that we've been able to survive obviously makes us "the fittest", at least until we cease to survive. It's just a new definition of fitness.

Yeah, sorry. That's what I get for trying to intellectuall without sleep.

Morality is neat little feature of humanity, but it doesn't really have a place in our continued survival.

No morality is an empty concept that people convince themselves that they have so they can walk around thinking they're doing the *right* thing

like the soul, destiny, rights, etc.

it's all just poetic musings

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry. That's what I get for trying to intellectuall without sleep.

Morality is neat little feature of humanity, but it doesn't really have a place in our continued survival.

I think morality is just a survival mechanism, a social structure intended to put societal expectations into absolute terms as a means to insure species preservation.

;) Oh ZP! You cynic you!

I'd also say high breeding rates are probably more symptom than cause. We have high breeding rates because we're such a prosperous species, not the other way around.

Last edited:
I asked because several things I've seen happen today remind me that stupid people exist.

They need to die.

This is true. Today I saw 2 of the dumbest things I've seen in my military career.........

I had a Colonel come to me and ask me to turn the heat in one guy's room by 1 degree. One...****ing...degree. ONE! It's not like it was that one degree that could really make a difference too! You know...where the room is set to 69 but raising it that one degree to 70 is just enough to put the room at "perfect". Nope. He wanted it raised from 72 to 73. Pointless. One. Degree.

The next incident involved a girl making a new pot of coffee with a different blend than what they normally use. The pot is for everyone but mostly for the General. So instead of just tapping on the door and asking the General to taste the coffee......she asks another Sergeant to taste it to see if the Gen will like it. She then gets mad when the Sgt adds cream and sugar to his coffee because the Gen likes it black. But it's how the Sgt takes it!!!! Why is she mad?!?!? Then this Major asks to taste the coffee to see if the Gen will like it. Why would these 2 different people assume they know what the General's tastebuds will like?!?!?! So the General comes out....pours a cup and goes right back into his office. That's right....just as quick as he came out, he went right back in. He doesn't care what blend the coffee is so long as it's black.

Yeah. These might not seem like a big deal, but trust me....the absurdity is stifling here.

Honestly, I've been thinking about this for years. And I see it as nothing short of Divine itervention. Seeing how people treat each other, rushing to judgements, taking delight in the misery of others. And the stupid, stupid things people do that leaves you with the question of, how are they still alive? Not to mention how easy it is to offend others, since everyone seems to be offended by everything now a days...

Well, I think the only situations that could've actually wiped out the ENTIRE species were things like nuclear war, that were specifically controlled by people, and during an era when the concept of glorious death and an afterlife were being taken as less of a sure thing than usual.

I think it's important to remember that part of the inherent point of God could obviously be to give no evidence at all and leave us to believe in what we've got. What leads me to believe there isn't one is simply how unbelievably bad things are for the vast majority of.... things. Could be an elaborate illusion, but I mostly go with what I've got.

It doesn't seem like there's a God. But there better be.

Planet-Man said:
Well, I think the only situations that could've actually wiped out the ENTIRE species were things like nuclear war, that were specifically controlled by people, and during an era when the concept of glorious death and an afterlife were being taken as less of a sure thing than usual.

It's true. There was a LONG time when the idea of human extinction was just incredibly improbable. There have been vast catastrophes, sure. The fall of Rome, various plagues and great wars. But the thing is, we've been around so long and are so widely spread across the face of the Earth that nothing short of a vast, global calamity could wipe out the human race. And the premise of a weapon that could entirely destroy the species has only existed about 65 years now. Sure, humans do a lot of "bad" things, but good and bad are human concepts, completely independent (and sometimes contradictory to) the idea of survival.

There's always the gnostic idea that God is well-intentioned but imperfect.

I've never understood the modern perception that God needs be perfect.

Last edited:
For me, the point of God is the end-all be-all perfection. One conscious thing that created, controls, and is, everything, the point of which being "good". If we somehow found an imperfect or limited "God", no matter how much sense it made at the time, I would still be just as fixed on whether or not what I consider God exists.

So me and Project are wondering.

How is the Human Race still alive?

Because we made tools using our thumbs before those dirty stinkin' apes could! Then we clawed our way to the top of the food chain and made extinct any other animal who tried to challenge us!

Because we made tools using our thumbs before those dirty stinkin' apes could! Then we clawed our way to the top of the food chain and made extinct any other animal who tried to challenge us!

or tasted delicious, or had body parts that could be eaten or ground into a powder that will make our dicks hard.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back