Akira - Katsuhiro Otomo

Dr.Strangefate

He Sees You When You're Sleeping. He Knows When Yo
I have all six volumes with me this semester which I'm re-reading through. I forgot the depth and complexity of the Manga, particularly in comparison with the oversimplified movie that drastically changed the plot of the series...

This has been called the greatest Manga series of all time, and I would have a hard time arguing that point. Thoughts?

I need to read this, because I didn't care for the mess the movie was (though the animation was astounding).

However, a blogger known as MightyGodKing, discussing the recent Wizard list of top 100 comic characters had this to say about Kaneda:
MightyGodKing said:
Kaneda. Everybody seems to be talking about the movie in referencing whether they like him or not, which is besides the point; the enormous Akira manga is better on so many levels than the movie. (And the movie was pretty great.) Kaneda is a character who, upon learning that the girl he loves is about to sacrifice herself to defeat a horrific evil in a battle of unspeakable psychic power, goes and grabs a laser and a motorbike to go pick a fight with God. How that does not make the list is beyond me.

Last edited:
Everyone should read this. Can't wait to hear what you think, if you pick up the volumes.

I've read some of the manga before but can't remember too much about it. I'll probably pick it up again after I watch the movie.

I like both the manga and the anime.

The manga is clearly "better," but I don't think the anime does anything more than condense things at the expense of subplots.

In that regard it doesn't make the anime "not as good" as the manga, so much as certain things that happened in the manga now happen 'off-screen'.

I am downloading the first volume as I type. I'll express my thoughts later.

I like both the manga and the anime.

The manga is clearly "better," but I don't think the anime does anything more than condense things at the expense of subplots.

In that regard it doesn't make the anime "not as good" as the manga, so much as certain things that happened in the manga now happen 'off-screen'.

The Movie jumps from the end of the second volume to the end of the sixth volume... i think that constitutes more than leaving things off-screen.

Okay, so I just finished it today.

It was so... good!

:rockon:

Latest posts

Back