ALMOST broke down and bought them today...

sax_russell_the_green

Well, I made my first visit to a local comic book store in the area today. Looked around a bit, found it to be a rather small place, but had a nice selection of new comics regardless of their lacking in the back issue department. Saw they had the latest issue of Ultimates 2 and was a little tempted to purchase it.

Now, in case you didn't know, I've been reading the Ultimates exclusively in the TPB form. I'm hesitant to buy the individual issues because A: I enjoyed reading the story straight through without delay or interruption and B: I'm trying to forgoe the huge issue collection and build a library of TPBs and HCs.

So, I left the comic store, went to the mall and Barnes & Noble and browsed around a bit. Read the Magnetic North TPB, and was finally tempted into purchasing Ultimates 7-10 to get more of the story that I had been missing since the last TPB. I just couldn't wait any longer for the second TPB to be published. So, I head back to the comic store and they don't have any of the issues I need except #10. So, I finally cracked, and would have bought them, but they weren't in stock. The next nearest store wasn't open on Sunday, so that wasn't an option. Maybe I'll look around on Ebay...

I used to be like that......but then I found that you can't really participate in many of the conversations about the comic here.

If you only have the money to collect TPBs...then do that. I found it easier to collect the TPBs and go to the bookstore every week to read the single issue.

But that plan quickly faded due to the fact that the bookstore was always selling out of the current issue. So instead now I buy the single issues when they're released weekly....then once an arc is done I put them in a "finished" pile.....then once the TPB is released...I take them back to the local comic store and get maybe 25-50 cents per issue. That might not seem like a lot but when you average a turn in credit of $10-20....that pays for a TPB about once they're released. As a matter of fact---I can't remember the last TPB I actually came outta pocket for.

Yeah I'm only going to get Ultimates in trade, but I rarely go to the store, and I dont mind being spoiler of the plot until it comes out, I'll still really enjoy it, sometimes things I've known for a while still surprizes me... which is odd.

Spoilers and discussion was what was stopping me from doing trades. But I love trades. They read better, no ads, and they are cooler. But then I discovered downloading comics. So now I download my weekly comics and then get the trades.

thee great one said:
Spoilers and discussion was what was stopping me from doing trades. But I love trades. They read better, no ads, and they are cooler. But then I discovered downloading comics. So now I download my weekly comics and then get the trades.

Same here.

I wish I could figure out that stuff. I can never get my downloads to work properly.

I really need to get that fixed. I'm spending upwards of $50-60 a week on comics.

Victor Von Doom said:
I wish I could figure out that stuff. I can never get my downloads to work properly.

I really need to get that fixed. I'm spending upwards of $50-60 a week on comics.

damn, you're making one shop owner VERY happy.

The on-going delays on Ultimates2 have caused me to go back to trade-waiting. I figure the trade on this will come out just in time for me to buy it for myself for Christmas.... :?

Sax_Russell, which issues do you need? I still have #8 and #9, which I would be willing to send you. If you're interested, PM me next weekend (I'm on vacation at the moment and can't get to them), and we'll work something out.

nigma said:
damn, you're making one shop owner VERY happy.

I know. And that's just on Wednesdays. Don't let me here a suggestion on a comic. I'll go check out maybe the first 3 issues (or TPB if available) and if I like it---I'll go but every issue until I catch up. Normally that happens on either Fri, Sat, Sun.

It's possible for me to sepnd $55 on Wenesday....and another $35 on the weekend.

My LCS owner loves me and my dispensable military income. :mrgreen:

It's either comics or strippers......we all know who wins that pick.

Last edited:
I'm needing all issues after what was printed in the last TPB, which was #6 I think. But, my car has died on me so priorities first. Thanks for the offer though Katne.

I'm getting Vol. 1 in HC along with the HC Supreme Power in the mail in the next week or so, so that'll keep me tided over for a little bit. Still haven't finished re-reading the Earth X HC. Maybe I'll wait until the next TPB comes out after all. It was more of an impulse buy while I was out shopping yesterday. My urge to buy is fading now.

Latest posts

Back