An open letter from Michael Richards (Kramer)

Gemini

well i received this chain e-mail today and thought it would be post worthy

Michael Richards sent this e-mail out as a way to clear the "Nigger-Guy" air around him

Michael Richards said:
Proud To Be White

Someone finally said it.
How many are actually paying attention to this?

There are African Americans, Mexican Americans,
Asian Americans, Arab Americans, etc.
And then there are just Americans.

You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction.
You Call me 'White boy,' 'Cracker,' 'Honkey,'
'Whitey,' 'Caveman' ... and that's OK.

But when I call you, Nigger, Kike, Towel head,
Sand-nigger, Camel Jockey, Beaner, Gook, or Chink ..
You call me a racist.

You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you,
so why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live?

You have the United Negro College Fund.
You have Martin Luther King Day.
You have Black History Month.
You have Cesar Chavez Day.
You have Yom Hashoah.
You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi.
You have the NAACP.
You have BET.
If we had WET (White Entertainment Television) we'd be racists.
If we had a White Pride Day, you would call us racists.
If we had White History Month , we'd be racists.
If we had any organization for only whites to 'advance'
OUR lives we'd be racists.

We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber
of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce.
Wonder who pays for that?

A white woman could not be in the Miss Black American
pageant, but any color can be in the Miss America pageant.

If we had a college fund that only gave white students
scholarships you know we'd be racists.
There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges
in the US. Yet if there were 'White colleges' THAT
would be a racist college.

In the Million Man March, you believed that you were
marching for your race and rights. If we marched for
our race and rights, you would call us racists.

You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and
you're not afraid to announce it. But when we announce
our white pride, you call us racists.

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a
white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats
up a black drug-dealer running from the law and posing a
threat to society, you call him a racist.

I am proud.
But you call me a racist.

Why is it that only whites can be racists?

There is nothing improper about this e-mail.
Let's see which of you are proud enough to send it on.

a peculiar way to clear the air, but he does have a point, much like the girl who tried to start a "Caucasian Club" a year ago in the Michigan area

Last edited:
My opinion is just that - an opinion.

But IN my opinion, there is nothing valuable in this statement. The privileged group of a society doesn't need clubs because the world is their club. This isn't a level playing field by virtue of occupying space in the same country as each other. Power/wealth in North America is disroportionately distributed. I don't think that last sentence is a big surprise.

This is something we could write pages about (and I don't doubt that there would be passionate, articulate, and eloquent arguments on both sides), but ultimately, an internet message board likely won't sway any/many from how they already feel - just reinforce their current stance.

PS - I like comics

See, here's my feeling on this (now terribly untopical) discussion.

There is no white culture. White culture is mainstream culture, and it's (hypothetically) inclusive to everyone. Black culture is black culture because it's forged in decades of shared struggle. The same is true with any immigrant. Immigrant culture exists as the preservation of a lifestyle that runs contrary to vanilla culture. It's the conscious resistance of homogenization into mainstream "white" culture.

White is just a color. And saying you're proud to be white is just saying you're proud of a superficial and ultimately meaningless distinction. OTOH, if you want to say you're proud to be Scottish, or Scandinavian, or French, or British, more power to you. If you say you're proud to be German, that makes you a nazi. That is all.

Oh, and the guy who wrote that letter is totally racist.

Last edited:
i just dont like how minorities get preferential treatment for college scholarships. it sucks.

well i received this chain e-mail today and thought it would be post worthy

Michael Richards sent this e-mail out as a way to clear the "Nigger-Guy" air around him

a peculiar way to clear the air, but he does have a point, much like the girl who tried to start a "Caucasian Club" a year ago in the Michigan area

a couple things for those on the ignorant side of the fence along with whoever wrote this chain letter. White people coined all the terms like Mexican American and African American as part of the census but a tthe time, there wasn't anglo american, just American. I'm a ******* American too and I'm proud of that. I, like everyone else in this country, have a background from another culture. It's the same as being from China or Scotland. You're born here American of other descent.

And no, a white woman couldn't be in the Black Miss America pageant because white women already dominate the Miss AMerica Pageant. AS far as I know, I think Vanessa Williams was the only black person to ever win the Miss America Pageant. Also, the benefits package that comes with being Black Miss AMerica is nothing compared to benefits you get when becoming Miss America.

Terms like Cracker were coined by Africans, yes. Do you know why??? It's short for whip cracker because that's what the white owners did to their slaves like they some ****ing horse. And terms like the N word (I have black friends and I don't feel comfortable using that word) or greaser were also created by the white man's disgust for persons of different color. You can thank yourselves for that one. Why the **** would I want to call myself a greaser.

Ghetto's themselves were created by white people. In fact I could go so far as to say they were created exactly for colored people to keep them all condensed in one place in a place where no one would feel bothered by them. The Nazi's did it to the Jews. The Anglo's did it to the Blacks and Mexicans too. White people created the ghetto's, projects and barrio's.

Then one has the nerve to throw around all these days that commemorate days like MLK day or Cesar Chavez. Do you know why???? Do you really even know? It's to celebrate those who fought so hard for rights we didn't originally have because the white man wouldn't give it to us. But you have President's day. That day is all about white people one could argue. MLk wasn't some ordinary guy. He fought for, not just blacks, but equal rights for EVERYONE. He believed that we were all created equal and that minorities deserved the same rights as the whites were enamored to for decades upon decades. You complain because you don't have days like we do. But you don't understand why. THat is what is most upsetting. These people said no to the racist white person and that is why we celebrate them. Because I can sit here with my laptop and converse with people from all over the world and not feel threatened and actualy share my opinions on the public forum without someone telling me to "move along greaser, this ain't for you." and you're stupid for wanting to have white history month. Because if you learned ANYTHING in school, it's that we learn NOTHING BUT white history. We learn about ancient Rome. Italians are considered white as are spaniard and french, etc. We learn about the war of roses and the war of 1812 and the revolutionary war and world war 2, vietnam korean war, etc. and blacks were segregated throughout all these wars, forced by the racist white. Heard of the Tuskegee experiments? Ask them if they chose that route. Blacks that wanted to be in the air force during world war 2 were segregated from all the rest of the "lighter" pilots. Then they proved that they could fly with the best of them and still they are hardly remembered. Buffalo soldiers were allowed to fight for their country but were still segregated from the civil to the korean war. I doubt that's how they wanted it.

Again how ignorant can a person be about the Million Man March? It was started as a march for minority rights that the racist white person didn't think they were entitled to. Now it's done out of culture and respect for those who came before us to fight for the same rights we now all share. Why would you have a march for white people when you have never had to fight for rights you weren't already entitled to?

It's fine if you want to be proud. We all are. I have pride and love for my people, my family, my friends. You just have to know what concept it is that you're grasping. Are you proud that your ancestors gripped that whip nice and tight? Are you proud that your ancestors segregated everyone else from the local cafe and that they created separate restrooms for no actual reason other than they didn't want some N-word sitting on their toilet? Are you proud that you already have priviledges set forth on you whether you know it or not. Can you say you were ever a victim of racial profiling because I can. Do you understand what it is you're actually proud of? These are questions you should ask yourself before you run your mouth.

Still waters run deep, baby.

*templerubs* this is the **** that makes me hate being American. I know racism exists everywhere, but I really wish we were better than this.

I recently had a huge argument and was called a racist then I expressed that not even blacks should use the n-word. It's degrading, period. I don't go to group meetings and go "Yo dyke, whassup". As an oppressed minority, it kinda irritates me when I see people go on about how unfair it is that there's no "White History Month" or white this, or white that, guess what kids, mainstream american society is white. So every month is white people month.

I live in a state that's predominantly WASP, I hear the bull**** that the e-mail spouted, all the time. My dad is just as guilty, I hear him ***** about BET, MLK Day, etc, and it just makes me shake my head. He's never been denied anything in his life. He's had an easy life. I'm fighting to get the right to ****ing get married for ****'s sake and he's like "Oh, why rock the boat? Getting married isn't a big deal, it's how society is."

Bleh, I'm too angry to make a coherent thought.

i just dont like how minorities get preferential treatment for college scholarships. it sucks.

Really, I'd love to see this in reality. As a minority, I've had to bust my *** to get financial aid (thank the gods my uncle is a Mason).

I like how this is actually relevant to the discussion.

sarcasm? i think it's relevant, what with the race issue. golly.

and skotti- i just find that almost all of the african-american, hispanic, and asian kids at my school are on scholarship, and some of them are more well off than my own family. this is what i have found in my own experience as far as racial minorities go.

as an honest question- have you been discriminated against in applications for this or that because of your sexuality? i can't even imagine it... most applications dont ask about that... but if you have, then i'm sorry- that's crazy!- and i feel bad for you.

but i do NOT think it is right that perfectly deserving and better-qualified white kids will not get accepted to a top-tier school or will not win an scholarship because there are "racial" quotas that have to be filled. that has frustrated me in the past. not saying that they don't deserve equal treatment, but if they didn't work to get as good of grades at a school with a lower academic standard, then yeah- it can be frustrating if they are accepted to a school and say, one of my straight A friends did not. :/

As a homosexual? Or as something else?

Good old Masons.

As a homosexual.

People also don't realize, at least in the US, most scholarships aren't funded by the gov't or school. Most scholarships are privately funded, hence some of the odd requirements (in Ohio there is a scholarship for handicapped women of Hungarian decent on a Bachelor of Arts path).

I agree with Agamemnon and Zombipanda.

What does that have to do with it? There's no grand conspiracy of minorities to give themselves the most scholarship benefits. Most of the policymakers in America are white. Even if a political leader is, say, black, they're still not the Voice of the African-American Hive Mind.

Maybe scholarships are unfair to white students. Maybe they aren't. Whether they're good or bad, it's not the fault of the minority students who take advantage of the free money (like white kids are some saints who wouldn't take every scholarship they can get). It's the fault of the people who decide who gets scholarship money.

Personally, I think there are too many different situations to make a blanket "Scholarships for minorities are good/bad" statement. It really depends on the region we're talking about (and how racist that region is or isn't).

Latest posts

Back