Any word on how far Loeb and Mad are with their run?

It's absolutely insane that Ultimates 3 is not finished yet. Written, pencilled, inked, colored, whatever. They should be able to release this thing weekly. It should come out next week as an original graphic novel. When was it announced they were going to do this? 16 months ago? More? Was it at SDCC or Chicago? And surely they were working on it before the announcement.

This is disgusting.

I am disgusted.

Last edited:
It's absolutely insane that Ultimates 3 is not finished yet. Written, pencilled, inked, colored, whatever. They should be able to release this thing weekly. It should come out next week as an original graphic novel. When was it announced they were going to do this? 16 months ago? More? Was it at SDCC or Chicago? And surely they were working on it before the announcement.

This is disgusting.

I am disgusted.

Well, I thought it was only announced early this year, so probably around 8-10 months. Surely enough to have completed a six issue series in its entirety. But when you factor in Mad's average rate of issue release at about two per year...I'd say it makes sense for the first issue to still be running late. We'll see #2 maybe by the middle of 2008, if we're lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it).

I know I got a Joe Mad poster (not of Ultimates) at a panel Jeph Loeb was on announcing the Ultimates 3 project at Wizard World Chicago in 2005.

And this year they showed the Venom cover.

So it's been a long, long time.

I know I got a Joe Mad poster (not of Ultimates) at a panel Jeph Loeb was on announcing the Ultimates 3 project at Wizard World Chicago in 2005.

And this year they showed the Venom cover.

So it's been a long, long time.
Mind you Jeph Loeb was still finishing up with DC at that time. Did they announce Mad at that time, too? I don't remember.

At the recent con, it was mentioned Mad was finishing up #2.

By finishing up, Queseda meant he had drawn a couple of panels and had gone back to play Wii.

By finishing up, Queseda meant he had drawn a couple of panels and had gone back to play Wii.

How can a guy be happy being known as That Guy That Would Rather Play Video Games Than Draw Comics?

Wouldn't that just grate on you until you actually did the work you were supposed to do in a timely fashion?

I mean, you have over a year to draw 132 comic book pages. Maybe a few more if the issues are bigger and you're doing the covers. I could attend and graduate from the Joe Kubert school, get hired by Marvel, and draw 132 pages of comics before this gets done.

. . .#2?

NUMBER ******* 2!?

Somebody fire him. No, better, somebody fire Queseda.

Last edited:
I like Quesada most of the time. Really, other than his bizarre stance that it's okay to take a job with his company and then not do it because you'd rather do something else instead.

But I see no reason why McGuiness can't take over with issue 3.

Last edited:
I like Quesada most of the time. Really, other than his bizarre stance that it's okay to take a job with his company and then not do it because you'd rather do something else instead.

I'm just really tired of the way he's handling Marvel. What you said combined with the ridiculous amount of crossovers lately. I mean. . .the Marvel Universe has been in a crossover since at least the beginning of 2005, if not earlier, with Disassembled, then House of M, then Decimation, then Civil War and now World War Hulk. It's ridiculous. I just want comics to go back to being self-contained with the occasional crossover book that's separate from the monthlies.

And don't get me started on him not making his writers and artists hold a deadline. . .

Well, the crossovers are different these days. It's not like when I started reading comics and you had an Operation: Galactic Storm which was 19 parts long over, like, seven different comics, and completely disrupted teh ongoing book.

Now you get the main story book, and the regular series reflects the events of it, but neither is essential reading for the other. You could read Civil War 1-7 without any other books, you could read NA 21-25 without any other books.

Either way, it's better than when Quesada first took over and didn't do a crossover for about two years. When all the super-heroes revealed their identities to the public (um. . . ) and stopped wearing costumes. Those were trying times to a guy like me who likes the big events and costumes and continuity.

Joey Q is never going to get fired simply because since he's been in the driver's seat, comic's have become more and more popular.

Face the facts, Marvel and DC are in buisness, and they are going to continue to put out comics based on money, not story.

I want to give props to DC, but it's hard considering they are putting out another weekly after this current weekly, and jacking the price up more.

Latest posts

Back