Anyone Computer Savvy?

Anyone got any cool Deadpool pic I can use for an avator. I tried some out that I found on the web, but I can't seem to get the right size.

image.php

Also you should post questions like these in the avatar/sig thread

I realize that when that was posted it wasn't realized what it was, but in the future please edit posts that list URLs to sites like that. The forum parses the link automatically and it's a surefire way to get us blacklisted from every piece of big brother web monitoring software out there (as well as other link sites).

I edited the link out of all of the posts I saw it in but please be conscious of this in the future. It's very important.

I realize that when that was posted it wasn't realized what it was, but in the future please edit posts that list URLs to sites like that. The forum parses the link automatically and it's a surefire way to get us blacklisted from every piece of big brother web monitoring software out there (as well as other link sites).

I edited the link out of all of the posts I saw it in but please be conscious of this in the future. It's very important.
Whoops! I actually never thought about that.

I've got a Windows Movie Maker video saved..... how do I turn it into an animated GIF?
I would suggest that you save it as a mpeg or avi file first and THEN convert it to gif since there are many, free, programs that supports a mpeg/avi to gif conversion but only Windows Movie Maker supports their special format (if it is a .MSWMM file that is).

I've got a Windows Movie Maker video saved..... how do I turn it into an animated GIF?
Y'know, I wasted a half an hour trying to figure out how to make an animated .gif the other night. (I wanted to post a .gif of Bobb'e J. Thompson dancing on Human Giant instead of just a link to the video.)

I ran the video through a site that I can't seem to remember at the moment but the results were less than impressive.

Lately my computer has been very slow - I think I've identified the problem. In the Task Manager, under the running Processes tab, there's numerous services.exe and cmd.exe. I've read that these can be disguised Trojans. I researched a bit and downloaded some trial versions of programs to see if they would identify them. I then spent $58NZ on RegCure and scanned and removed like 1068 errors. This seemed to fix the problem because all of the .exe's were no longer listed. However, it seems this problem was temporary as they keep returning at random times and the computer continues to be quite slow.

I've asked the RegCure support people about the situation and am awaiting a result. I've found a message board which suggests alternate suggestions to removing these things and will probably do this shortly.

Just typing this to see if Fredrick is familiar with the situation (it seems quite common) and whether he knows how to fix it permanently. Cheers.

Here's the Hijack log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:50:15 p.m., on 4/12/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\services.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\WiFiConnector\NintendoWFCReg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\usnsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\McQuinn\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://nz.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Skype add-on (mastermind) - {22BF413B-C6D2-4d91-82A9-A0F997BA588C} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: TextAloud - {F053C368-5458-45B2-9B4D-D8914BDDDBFF} - C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTAL~1\TAForIE.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [services] C:\WINDOWS\services.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Run Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector Registration Tool.lnk = C:\Program Files\WiFiConnector\NintendoWFCReg.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Skype - {77BF5300-1474-4EC7-9980-D32B190E9B07} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {20A60F0D-9AFA-4515-A0FD-83BD84642501} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/msgrchkr.cab56986.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://gfx1.hotmail.com/mail/w2/resources/MSNPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {5C051655-FCD5-4969-9182-770EA5AA5565} (Solitaire Showdown Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/SolitaireShowdown.cab56986.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D6F45B3-9043-443D-A792-115447494D24} (UnoCtrl Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/EN-NZ/a-UNO1/GAME_UNO1.cab
O16 - DPF: {C3F79A2B-B9B4-4A66-B012-3EE46475B072} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsPAClient.cab56907.cab
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NOD32 Kernel Service (NOD32krn) - Eset - C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe

--
End of file - 6837 bytes

Last edited:
Sweet, I think I have actually beaten it this time. I downloaded Security Task Manager and it found all of the services.exe and said they were harmless. I put them into quarantine (meaning they couldn't open when Windows starts) and haven't popped back up since.

Anybody know where I can get(for free) a bunch of voices for PC text-to-speech? I'm specifically looking for a cool robot voice. Or several.

I think you can actually find one in the Control Panel which lets you paste text into a window and then reads it out.

Anyone still using IE you may want to switch now.
The major press outlets are abuzz this morning with news of a major new security flaw that affects all versions of Internet Explorer from IE5 to the latest beta of IE8. The attack has serious and far-reaching ramifications -- and they're not just theoretical attacks. In fact, the flaw is already in wide use as a tool to steal online game passwords, with some 10,000 websites infected with the code needed to take advantage of the hole in IE.

Virtually all security experts (as well as myself) are counseling users to switch to any other web browser -- none of the others are affected, including Firefox, Chrome, and Opera -- at least for the time being, though Microsoft has stubbornly said it "cannot recommend people switch due to this one flaw." Microsoft adds that it is working on a fix but has offered no ETA on when that might happen. Meanwhile it offers some suggestions for a temporary patch, including setting your Internet security zone settings to "high" and offering some complicated workarounds. (Some reports state, however, that the fixes do not actually work.)

More here http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/111811

After working for MS for 3 years, and the complete disregard for the consumer, I find it amusing when things like this come out.

Ah, I thought you were laughing at me for warning. :lol: My bad.

Ah, I thought you were laughing at me for warning. :lol: My bad.

Nope, laughing at the Titanic sized hole in IE.

Personally, I got tired patching holes and jumped to OSX.

Even though some apps require Windows, I refuse to use IE. (viva la FireFox and Safari)

I prefer Firefox and Safari to Internet Explorer though at this moment I only have access to two laptops, both of which only have Internet Explorer. Uh oh. Time to download some new browsers.

Latest posts

Back