Anyone remember the Space Quest games from the late 80s and early 90s?

Yes.

Although it was a rather uneven series --- with II and III being the weakest of the bunch --- I still have some nostalgic affection for it.

IV was genius. Time travel, but instead of dates, Roger travels through sequels!

Wait, you want me to talk about the villains don't you?

With the Space Marines and Genestealers? I do! It was Hero Quest... but in SPACE! :D

That was Space Hulk if I remember correctly, I knew of it peripherally as I was getting into Warhammer 40K with my guy friends.

As to OP, yeah, I remember Space Quest, I found my copies of SQ 3 and 4 and my old Hitchhiker's Game discs a while back when I was going through my old art boxes mom had.

Yes.

Although it was a rather uneven series --- with II and III being the weakest of the bunch --- I still have some nostalgic affection for it.

IV was genius. Time travel, but instead of dates, Roger travels through sequels!

Wait, you want me to talk about the villains don't you?

Well no, because we all know Vohaul is the best one. :wink::D

Well no, because we all know Vohaul is the best one. :wink::D
I dunno, I liked Admiral Quirk a lot.

Vohaul was essentially a riff on Darth Vader, Khan and other sci-fi villains --- which I guess was the point --- but he wasn't a very good or interesting one until he became a mad supercomputer from the future in Space Quest IV.

Sharpei sucked because she was a Deus Ex Villaina.

I dunno, I liked Admiral Quirk a lot.

Vohaul was essentially a riff on Darth Vader, Khan and other sci-fi villains --- which I guess was the point --- but he wasn't a very good or interesting one until he became a mad supercomputer from the future in Space Quest IV.

Sharpei sucked because she was a Deus Ex Villaina.

Perhaps but he was very good in SQ4 and I think Quirk was too much of obvious spoof. The only villain of note after that was Elmo Pug and he made a better supporting character in SQ6 as a drunk. Besides Vohaul is fun word to say.

I assume SQ4 is your favorite, which is your least favorite?

Perhaps but he was very good in SQ4
Thassexactly what I was saying.

The Overlord said:
I think Quirk was too much of obvious spoof.
I totally understand why you'd think that as well.

Still, I think that Quirk was plain uninteresting at first, when he's just a blatant Kirk-ian buffoon, but becomes interesting when he gets corrupted by power and delusions of superiority exacerbated by the mutagenic disease.

Granted, he, like Vohaul, should only be taken lightly, but still I found that his Kirk-ian qualities pale once he becomes less a moron and more an actual villain.

In fact, I didn't really see him as a Kirk parody until other SQ fansites brought it up, simply because I've always thought the egomaniacal high-ranking over-achieving space fleet commander is such a broad stereotype not specific to Trek.

The Overlord said:
Besides Vohaul is fun word to say.
It is, actually.

Thassexactly what I was saying.

I totally understand why you'd think that as well.

Still, I think that Quirk was plain uninteresting at first, when he's just a blatant Kirk-ian buffoon, but becomes interesting when he gets corrupted by power and delusions of superiority exacerbated by the mutagenic disease.

Granted, he, like Vohaul, should only be taken lightly, but still I found that his Kirk-ian qualities pale once he becomes less a moron and more an actual villain.

In fact, I didn't really see him as a Kirk parody until other SQ fansites brought it up, simply because I've always thought the egomaniacal high-ranking over-achieving space fleet commander is such a broad stereotype not specific to Trek.

It is, actually.

You didn't Quirk=Kirk? Come on they sound the same. the toupee was a give away too. Though i will admit Quirk was my second favorite villain of the series.

I kinda like Vohaul's plan in SQ2, plus he is Wilco's arch nemesis, he is vastly more intelligent then Roger, but loses because he follows the cliches of villainy to a T.

Though i think I liked Pug better as a drunk then a villain. SQ3 was just odd in general it seemed like a bunch of random stuff happened, there wasn't much in the way of central story.

So how would rank the games, best to worst?

You know what SQ5 was missing, voice acting. That game could have used Gary Owens.

Plus Quirk being corrupt wasn't that much of surprise, it seemed like almost everyone in star Con was a petty, mean spirited, corrupt, stupid jerk. Roger was stupid but nice, it seemed like he spent more time having to fight with Star Con, more then anything else.

Last edited:
I must be lame, because I have just now heard of these games, and they mean absolutely NOTHING to me.

Latest posts

Back