Ares: God of War series discussion (spoilers)

Fuzzy Birds

Anyone else looking forward to this one? Foremans a great talent, who I can see becoming pretty big, and although I haven't read anything by Oeming, I hear good things. Comicscontinuum has some preview pages up, and they look gorgeous, very fantastical and mythic....

Ares preview

Ares Series Discussion **Spoilers**

Mike Oeming is genius!!!! Naysayers bite your spiteful tongue. :p

"Ares" had to be the #1 new series I was looking forward to the most. And I am filled with school girl glee that it didn't disappoint. Here's a brief synopsis:

Hades (brother of Zeus) has long stood outside the walls of Olympus and desired to either rule or ruin the home of the Gods. Finally, his time has come and has mounted an attack on Olympus.

Zeus calls upon the other Gods of Olympus to protect the kingdom. The epic battle rages on and even with the addition of Hercules...the battle continues to hold at a stalemate. At the disapproving warning of the other Gods, Zeus seeing no other option calls upon Ares, God of War, to fight for him and save Olympus. Ares does so, hoping to be looked upon as a savior and hero in the eyes of the Gods. Things don't work out as he had hoped. Dejected...Ares lays down his sword vowing to never again become the God of War. He leaves Olympus to live his life amongst the mortals.

Years later, by selling a few ancient Greek treasures, Ares has managed to live a comfortable life as a carpenter. He now has a son...but refuses to be with a women for fear that a woman will make his son soft and weak.

Olympus is in trouble again and they send Hermes to find Ares and beckon him to fight for Olympus once more. Ares, declaring that Olympus turned their backs and shunned him long ago, decides to do the same. This news does not sit well with Zeus, so he kidnaps Ares's son.

Filled with an unquenchable rage...Ares decides to retrieve his son himslef and seek revenge upon those who had their hand in his son's abduction.

The writing......the art......the pacing. Beautiful..............although the battle in front of Olympus is a little compressed. But you get the jist of what is happening. I also enjoyed Oeming's twist on how the Gods view Ares. Rather than see him as a mighty warrior....they view him as a wild dog foaming at the mouth for violence. And they have a point too.....just wait til you find out how Ares punishes the Army of Hades for daring to battle Ares. That's just mean.........

5/5.............and I can't wait for more!!!!!

Re: Ares Series Discussion **Spoilers**

I really wanted to get this, but I had a feeling it would be too slow burning for a mini, so I'm gonna wait until trade. Travel Foreman is good though, he was the best thing about that Doc Spectrum mini. And Oeming's always worth a look.

I got this, and am looking forward to reading it. :D

My post from MW, because I'm too lazy to rewrite it (though I did throw a little more snark in, only for "all ya'll"):

I'm still snickering about the fact that ARES, God of War, drives a Hum-Vee. Bet it's got a W sticker on the back. Of course, he is like 8' tall (literally) so maybe it's all he fits in. I enjoyed the issue from a set-up point. There are a few clankers in the narrative, where Ares get a bit overwrought and mistakes his tenses and particples ("trod" is past tense and past particple for "tread" but it's being used in present tense), but I forgive him because he's Greek yet kind enough to think in English so I can understand him. Or maybe Oeming was just a bit confused in his translation of the original text... :wink:

There are a few concepts that I'm interested to see play out - I don't believe that Ares' main problem in life is that his Daddy doesn't love him and I don't really thing that was what Oeming was implying anything quite that simple in the scene in which Ares turns away from Olympus. Ares is the God of War, created and given that task for a purpose, so whether the task shaped him to be the way he is or whether he'd have been this way regardless is kinda a moot point. He is this way, and the rest of the pantheon looks down on him for his skills at "war without honor" yet they (frequently) require those skills to survive.

It remains to be seen what Oeming is going to do with this - he could be stepping up for a very complicated look at the nature of war, at the fact that you can't really be "civilized" if you are flat-out at war and the civilization conducting the war has to understand, if not embrace, that facet. Interesting parallel with the conditions some of the US soldiers sent to Viet Nam faced when they returned home, after the stories of napalm carpet bombing and My Lai hit the presses.

A 5 issue miniseries makes that seem unlikely, though, especially since we're looking at probably an issue for Ares to go to Olympus and demand Alex back and be refused and for Zeus to come up with some suitable threat such that Ares doesn't just take Neptune's trident and clock Zeus with it.

I remain in hope, though, because I like some depth with my four color funnies, and I think this is a promising start.

Man.....I got so caught up with reading other comics trying to catch up to current issues that I almost forgot I has #2 in my "read pile".

This issue is still packed with sheer awesomeness. A brief recap...

The war for Olympus still rages on. Zeus stands before his vast army giving his inspirational speech (very similar to Morpheus's speech addressin Zion in "Reloaded"). He calls forth another great warrior to rise and fight for Olympus......Achilles. Achilles joins the battle and instantly starts to clean house......but it is still not enough.

We are then shown Alex (Ares' son). He lies on a bed passed out but dreaming heavily. He cries out for his father.

Back on Earth---Ares is confronted by the authorities. Not wise for them to stand in the way of The God of War. Ares goes on a warpath of destruction...but is stopped in his attacks by a horribly disfigured Achilles. Achilles beseeches Ares' help on behalf of Zeus. He is told that Alex is safe and that they will take Ares to him. A lightning bolt from Zeus transports them to Olympus.

Upon their arrival, Ares and Achilles are ambushed by the new creatures attacking Olympus. They seem to be demon samurai. They dispatch the demons quickly but in the midst of battle---they are teleported again. This time to the throne of Olympus. It is there that Ares is confronted and chastized by his half-brother Hercules for not helping when he was called upon. The arguement quickly turns violent.

Zeus interrupts the battle and humbles himself before Ares. Begging Ares for forgivness. This act of humility shocks Ares.

Meanwhile, we cut to a traditional Japanese house. It appears that Alex has been kidnapped again....but this time by the demon samurai. A mysterious person appears before Alex and tries to soothe his fears. Alex is then given a strange potion to drink.......he does and his mind is invaded by the truth. His father is not normal. Alex is the son of Ares. He is then confronted by the truth---the truthfulness of the monster Ares is deep down. Alex faints and is transformed into the evil samurai's version of the God of War.

I can't begin to explain how awesome this title is. Oeming delivers another "MUST READ" title. My only complaint is that the way Foreman presents the action is kinda saddening. The action is broken down into small windows and compacted. Instead of getting an amazing 2 page splash of something...you are give 20 little boxes. It feels as if you're looking a storyboard for some kinda action movie.

Otherwise it's pretty amazing to see this transformation of Ares. You can feel the reluctantcy of his actions. He doesn't want to be the God of War....but the world is not giving him much choice. So he finally gives in and embraces the violence. It leaves you wondering if he'll continue with the violence once he gets his son back or will he retreat back to a mortal life?

I so cannot wait for #3!!!! If you're not reading this......you really are missing out on one of the better minis.

Anyone else enjoying this wonderful beast of a comic????

So I was just checking Marvel's website for the next release date for this awesome mini (it's next week :D )...and then I decided to check out the next dates.

The mini-series ends in May, but they say Ares will join a major superhero team this year!!!! Who do you guys think it'll be?

I seriously doubt the New Avengers...but what about Excalibur? Any thoughts? :?

this sounds like a pretty good read, i'll have to put this on my "to read list"

Seriously...you have to. Most people won't read this until it hits trade....but man are they missing out.

Plus when he shows up as a new member of a group people will be all "WTF??? Who is this guy?" Then they'll have to go back and read his origin mini.....kinda like The Sentry.

Victor Von Doom said:
Seriously...you have to. Most people won't read this until it hits trade....but man are they missing out.

Plus when he shows up as a new member of a group people will be all "WTF??? Who is this guy?" Then they'll have to go back and read his origin mini.....kinda like The Sentry.

i'd laugh if he somehow found his way into the runaways :twisted:

you have a witch, a time travlers dino, a mutant, a cyborg, "street smart" kid, they had an alein, and now all they need is a 1/2 god child

nigma said:
i'd laugh if he somehow found his way into the runaways :twisted:

you have a witch, a time travlers dino, a mutant, a cyborg, "street smart" kid, they had an alein, and now all they need is a 1/2 god child

Well Ares isn't a demi-god....he is the FULL ON God of War. Now his son Alex is a demi-god.

But yeah....that would be funny if he just happened to be on the Runaways. Just to see Molly annoy him would be worth the price of the comic.

Last edited:

Victor Von Doom said:
Well Ares isn't a demi-god....he is the FULL ON God of War. Now his son Alex is a demi-god.

But yeah....that would be funny if he just happened to be on the Runaways. Just to see Molly annoy him would be worth the price of the comic.

i thought they were going to put his son on a team, i mis-read it.

I caught up on this today, reading the first 4 issues.

It's good. I was never really able to get into Thor (just didn't interest me, and it was too "out there") but this is very readable and the story is good.

So...are we expecting Alex to kill Ares and take is place? Or maybe Ares will be forced to kill Alex?

E said:
I was never really able to get into Thor (just didn't interest me, and it was too "out there") but this is very readable and the story is good.

I was never really into Thor either....but my love of "warriors" got the best of me.

e said:
So...are we expecting Alex to kill Ares and take is place? Or maybe Ares will be forced to kill Alex?

Marvel is pretty vague about who will actually join the team. So it's anyone's guess.

I'm guessing that maybe Ares will have to kill his son. But that might be a bit too much for Marvel to put out there and then have him on a team like the Avengers.

But this is all speculation of course...

So the mini is done and coming to trade soon.

They still don't give any clue as to which team Ares will join. Here's a brief summary of the last couple of issues:

Zeus grovels for Ares' help but Ares is having none of it. Betrayed for too often and too long Ares rejects this offer and says he cares not for the fate of Olympus.....only his son. Zeus explains to Ares that they had his son originally, but the Mikaboshi (demon Japanese monsters) have Alex now. Ares agrees to defend Olympus and fight off the Mikaboshi for Alex's sake.

As Hercules bring Ares up to speed on what is going on, the walls of Olympus are breached and the Mikaboshi attack the main house of Olympus. Hercules scoffs at Ares's tactics and jumps off into battle. Ares is amused at Hercules's gusto and joins him in battle.

Meanwhile, we see Alex dreaming about his dad in the form of an essay he wrote. Soon his dream turns into a nightmare. He awakens scared and is greeted by one of the Mikaboshi Gods. She calms Alex with a mind controlling potion. She then tells Alex of his father....and of Alex's destiny. His purpose is to kill his father and become the new God of War. Alex of course is shocked and wants no part of this. He begins to freak out and is then put back into a coma by the Japanese God. More brainwashing to come.

Back at the battle, Hercules and Ares fight fiercly. Neither side gaining the upperhand until Ares douses himself in flames and is flung by Hercules into the middle of the Mikaboshi's ranks. Ares opens cases--not cans--of whup ***.

But as Ares and other battle, we cut to Zeus and see that he is dying by the hands of a Mikboshi god.

Apparently it is harder to kill a god than one would suspect. Zeus floats on a cloud above the battle field leading the charge. Suddenly he sees Alexander in the distance. He charges forward and destroys any would stand in the way of Zeus and his blood. Zeus takes Alexander and tells him that he is his grandfather and will lead him to safety. All of a sudden Zeus is stabbed thru his body. Its a trap. It's not Alex but instead a changling. Zeus falls.

Alex and the Mikaboshi overlook the battle at hand. The brainwashing of Alex continues. Soon we see that Alex hates his family. He cannot wait to destroy them all.

As the battle continues below, the 2 sides fight, until one of the greek warriors notices Zeus's wounded body on the ground. But their attention quickly shifts when Alexander begins to slaughter several of the greek warriors. He screams how he is ready for Ares and the rest of the gods....but the manipulator quickly calms him.

The battle continues and Ares along with Hercules begin to face off against one of the Japanese gods. All of a sudden the Japanese god retreats and the battle is paused for a while. Ares and the rest of the gods retreat to Olympus and tend to Zeus. They realize that if they are to win the battel they must stop quarreling within. Hermes appears out of nowhere with a message for Ares.

Atop a mountain of dead bodies sits an old man who refuses to speak within anyone except Zeus. Ares informs him that Zeus is unavailable at the moment. The messenger informs that his name is Inari and he represents some of the remaining gods who wish to help stop the Mikaboshi. But before they can help....the greek gods must ask for help. Ares refuses and sends Inari on his way. Ares leaves the gods to take some time to think.

5 Years Later....

The battle continues. For years the battle has raged on and neither side gaining the upperhand. We see the Mikaboshi God give Alexander the "Grasscutter" sword. It holds great power and Alexander is to use it to kill his father, Ares. Alexander quickly dipatches of several test monsters with the new sword. He claims that he is now ready to kill his father...

For years the battle has continued and it has finally led to the walls of Japan's Hell. Behind the walls lies the Mikaboshi and Alex. Ares and the gods breach the walls and all hell breaks loose.

Meanwhile, Inari finally returns to his home with the other gods. He presents the gods a gift offering from the greeks and tells them they request help (even though they declined).

Back at the battle, Ares lays waste to the troops of the Japanese devils. Mikaboshi god appears and exclaims that if Ares is so anxious for his son that he will be more than obliged to deliver him. Alex appears before Ares, ready to fight.

Ares refuses to fight his own son and tries to reason with him. Alex will have none of it. Alex attacks his father. The rest of the gods have their hands full with a giant centipede.

Back at the Ares/Alex fight...Alex continues his assault on Ares. Ares still refuses to fight back. Alex yells that he hates his father. Realizing how serious his son is, Ares reminds Alex that his lineage is filled with not only sons slaying their fathers......but of fathers slaying their sons. Ares then proceeds to kick the crap out of Alex.

Alex soon regains the upperhand and prepares to finish Ares. Meanwhile Zeus releases a huge attack on the demons but is fatally attacked. In his last act---he sends out an act of magic that releases the spells on Alex's mind. Alex with his mind now free, drops to his knees to help his father.

Meanwhile at the other battle, the other gods arrive to help the greek gods. Waves of demons are wiped out in massive attacks. Alex turns his attention on Mikaboshi and kills the evil God with the help of his Grasscutter sword.

The gods wipe out all the other demons and retreat as the demon fort falls under a massive wave, wiping out the remnants.

Later in the plains of Africa, we see Ares standing over a recouperating Alex. Alex awakens and he and Ares "make up". Ares tells him that he is tired of being the God of War and that Alex should take up the mantle. Alex says he just wants to be a kid. Ares is pleased to hear it and Alex interupts by saying he was only kidding. Alex then challenges Ares to a race and the 2 rush of into the plains of Africa.

Aweome finish to an awesome mini. Well worth my money and time. I will definitely be getting this in TPB when it comes out.

What's going on with the collection of this series? I have the TPB which came out this week, but Amazon lists a hardcover which they will have on 11/8. Amazon usually gets books a couple weeks after comic shops, so that would put the initial release of said hardcover around this week or so.

Are they releasing the TPB and hardcover at the same time? Was the hardcover cancelled?

I think they might've messed up on the details. I asked my LCS and he said it only came in TPB format. No word on hardcover details.

read this yesterday, its not a bad title, i wish that it had been moved over to the Max line. that way we could have seen a little bit more blood and the like.

overall it was a good read, but the only thing that sort of gets me is the Five years at war...how is that going to effect Ares in the New Mighty Avengers and Hercules in Civil War?

read this yesterday, its not a bad title, i wish that it had been moved over to the Max line. that way we could have seen a little bit more blood and the like.

overall it was a good read, but the only thing that sort of gets me is the Five years at war...how is that going to effect Ares in the New Mighty Avengers and Hercules in Civil War?

I assume that all the events from this mini take place prior to Civil War.

Latest posts

Back