Art Discussion

Captain Morgan

We spend a lot of time talking about the writing in these comics, but I think we should spend some time on art. First off, as many of us know, there was a big change in the coloring at the start of Cats and Kings. Now I personally prefer the more distingished colors of the early art. I thought that Spidey looked better (more defined) and that people looked more realistic. I am quite fond of Bagley's art, but I think it has gone down hill since Hobgoblin. I must admit I was very fond of how the fight scene there was drawn though, and I loved Harry's new look.

Many of us have noticed that Soidey has been doing the mask squinty thing. I hate this. I liked how before they changed colorists, you could see reflections in the lenses on the mask. In fact, we seem to have lost a lot of the definition found in the costume pre-Cats.

One thing we have also seen less of is one of my favorite aspects of Spider-Man comics in general. When Spidey is flipping over rooftops and such, we will see what I call after images; less defined drawings of Spidey in the same panel as him in his final pose. It is a great way to capture him in motion, giving the eye a sense of his acrobatics. I think it was used very well early on, but the only time I can think of seeing it recently was in the fight scene between Silver Sable's gang and Spidey (a great scene, by the way.)

I think that we need to start seeing this more often. The fights with the Enfocers early on were all fantastic. The fights with Doc Ock have been good to. Hollywood wasn't bad, and I liked Hobgoblin, but I don't think they were as good as early drawings.

Then there are the characters. Peter has also been done pretty well through out the series, but I don't like some of the expressions that we sometimes see these days. Kong has been consistent. Flash looks more normal with the new hair cut. Harry and Norman, were good. Supporting characters have also been strong. Nick Fury looked cool. In fact, Fury is I think the most consistently drawn character in the Ultimate universe. While many chacters look different under different artists, Nick always looks like Nick.

Villains have looked pretty good. I didn't like the Lizard very much, but other than that, I liked most of the designs. Doc Ock rules, and has been drawn well noth pre and post Cats. Hobgoblin looked great. Green Goblin and Norman were cool, although I think Ultimate Six had the best looking Green Goblin. Deadpool had a cool look. Venom and Carnage both looked pretty twisted.

Then there is the babe factor. I think Bagley has always drawn a good MJ. She looks pretty distinctive, and attractive. She may be one of the few aspects that I think improved post Cats. Liz Allen has been drawn to look a lot of different ways, including sometimes having freckles, and sometimes not. I liked Gwen's look, but I never thought of her as looking attractive. Aunt May has strangely been looking younger as compared to how she looked in the first arc, but Aunt May rocks.

Then we have Black Cat. Wow. Major hotty. Elektra looked hot, but could have been better. Kitty Pryde has been drawn in three different ways by Bagley. We have her Geodolf arc appearence, where she looked good, but not great. All of the female X-Men kind of lacked attractiveness.

Then we had her brief appearence in Super Stars, where she talks to Peter/Wolverine on the phone. This is I think Bagley's best version, and the only one that has the freccles she had early on in UXM. I don't know why this version was not used later. There seemed to be no work put into details on her in Silver Sable. And I thoughted she looked bad in all of Deadpool except maybe the last issue.

Anyway, there is my story. Any one else got something art related to say?

I agree...

I think that they are rushing to surpass the record set by kirby and lee and don't give a damn about quality. This book needs to go back down to 12 comics a year.

Yeah... Or Bagley should take a break after they do break the record, so when he's back he's at the top of his game.

He HAS to be bored of these characters by now.

Dr.Strangefate said:
I agree...

I think that they are rushing to surpass the record set by kirby and lee and don't give a damn about quality. This book needs to go back down to 12 comics a year.

Yeah... Or Bagley should take a break after they do break the record, so when he's back he's at the top of his game.

He HAS to be bored of these characters by now.

Agreed. Once they get past the record, slap a new team on this book, stat.

Too bad that won't happen. :(

Latest posts

Back