Avengers Avengers Academy discussion (Spoilers)

robje

Avengers academy sucked. Alot. Which is a pitty because I loved the initiative.

Avengers academy? More like Young Thunderbolts.

Last edited:
Re: The All About Comics Thread 5: Comic Books Ate My Paycheck

Avengers academy sucked. Alot. Which is a petty because I loved the initiative.

You're a petty!

Avengers academy sucked. Alot. Which is a pitty because I loved the initiative.

I disagree sir! Former Avengers teaching kids to be heroes when they have every reason to be villains is a solid premise!

Yeah, I really liked it. This surprised me because it was the Avengers title I had least interest in and I never read The Initiative. The kids and the adults were genuinely intriguing, the art was great and the twist has a lot of potential. I'll keep reading.

I disagree sir! Former Avengers teaching kids to be heroes when they have every reason to be villains is a solid premise!

Then we might have to agree to disagree, kind sir! But perhaps we might find a middleground in disliking the art?

Also, Mettle? I thought his name was fortress?

I personally loved the twist. Reminds me of Sayid's inner conflict in Season 6 of LOST. "Am I a good person or am I a bad person?" Could make for a great title. Mike McKone's art is great, but I'm biased as he and I are Facebook friends and he always gets back to me when I write to him. (He also signed my Amazing Spider-Man #600 at Comic-Con.) I don't think it'll ever be as good as Avengers The Initiative but that's OK.

The twist at the end was good and sets up a good underlying plot. But I just couldn't make myself care about the characters. Their personalities are dry. Maddy is an exception I guess.

I've never liked Mike McKone's art either.

Another thing - when a comic picks up plot points and events from separate books, especially lesser-read books, there should be editor's notes explaining things. I read the first arc maybe of the Initiative and even then I don't even remember what happened. So...

- When did Speedball go back to being Speedball?
- When did Quicksilver go back to being good? Last I saw of him was in Mighty Avengers and he was really evil. How is that just swept under the rug?
- When did Magneto get his powers back? I haven't seen or heard anything about him since House of M.

Another thing - when a comic picks up plot points and events from separate books, especially lesser-read books, there should be editor's notes explaining things. I read the first arc maybe of the Initiative and even then I don't even remember what happened. So...

In the last few issues of The Initiative, when the New Warriors were taking Camp Hammond back from The Hood.

- When did Quicksilver go back to being good? Last I saw of him was in Mighty Avengers and he was really evil. How is that just swept under the rug?

He started being a good guy after his daughter told him off in Mighty Avengers, and at the end he basically saved most of the team from the Thunderbolts during Siege (though US Agent still lost an arm and a leg).

- When did Magneto get his powers back? I haven't seen or heard anything about him since House of M.

He made some kind of deal with the High Evolutionary over in Uncanny X-Men, and got them back. He is now on Utopia with the X-Men.

The twist at the end was good and sets up a good underlying plot. But I just couldn't make myself care about the characters. Their personalities are dry. Maddy is an exception I guess.

I agree that the characters aren't very compelling, but I don't find the twist all that intriguing either.

Another thing - when a comic picks up plot points and events from separate books, especially lesser-read books, there should be editor's notes explaining things.

Disagree. Editors notes are ugly and break up the flow of the story.

I agree that the characters aren't very compelling, but I don't find the twist all that intriguing either.

Disagree. Editors notes are ugly and break up the flow of the story.

Agree on that. If someone wants to find out what happened they can look it up themselves. Or they should just explain it in the story better.

Agree on that. If someone wants to find out what happened they can look it up themselves. Or they should just explain it in the story better.

your second point is much easier said than done with the sheer number of titles and continuity floating around i think it would be difficult to fit those items into the story organically

Didn't you read his New Avengers arc? Also Magneto has been in Uncanny for sometime.

My order so far: Secret Avengers > New Avengers > Avengers Academy > Avengers > Avengers Prime.

This book felt really empty

I was really surprised to learn that the announced students were the ONLY students, this being the spiritual succesor of ATI that it is (a book that had an immense cast) I expected more students

Issue 2 is out. I liked how Finesse is blackmailing Quicksilver now.

EDIT: Also, at the end of the issue there was a crossword with the name of a member of the Avengers in it, I found Iceman. Coupled with a joke he makes in the last issue of X-Men Second Coming about joining the Avengers, I really hope I'm right about this.

Last edited:
Issue 2 is out. I liked how Finesse is blackmailing Quicksilver now.

EDIT: Also, at the end of the issue there was a crossword with the name of a member of the Avengers in it, I found Iceman. Coupled with a joke he makes in the last issue of X-Men Second Coming about joining the Avengers, I really hope I'm right about this.

Deadpool is literally the first 8 letters. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of names hidden in there?

Deadpool is literally the first 8 letters. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of names hidden in there?

But Deadpool's already on the latest X-Force incarnation! Quit throwing reality in my face!

EDIT: JJ Smooth on the Bleeding Cool forums made a handy list of names found on the crossword:
-Deadpool
-Quake
-Hellstrom
-Red Hulk
-Iceman (makes mention of joining the team in "Second Coming" #2)
-Goblin (Norman? Harry? American Son?)
-Taskmaster
-Molly (of the Runaways, also featured on the X-men: Heroic Age cover w/ Cap and Iron Man)
-Hood
-Venom
-Bendis
-Kimota

Last edited:

Adorable Dyklings are adorable.

Tho the metaphor of the two girls who're are flying rainbows isn't lost on me

tumblr_m24r93qsCc1qf65bro1_1280.jpg

Latest posts

Back