Bad words on the radio

E

Excelsior Club
My wife and I were talking about swearing on the radio for some reason and I was trying to think of songs that had swearing in them that were never censored for the radio. I came up with:

"Who Are You" - The Who
"Heaven Beside You" - Alice In Chains
"Loser" - Beck

All 3 have the f-word in them but were never edited. I thought I remembered some Pearl Jam songs but can't think of which off the top of my head...maybe "Go" but that never really got a lot of radio play.

Any others?

My wife and I were talking about swearing on the radio for some reason and I was trying to think of songs that had swearing in them that were never censored for the radio. I came up with:

"Who Are You" - The Who
"Heaven Beside You" - Alice In Chains
"Loser" - Beck

All 3 have the f-word in them but were never edited. I thought I remembered some Pearl Jam songs but can't think of which off the top of my head...maybe "Go" but that never really got a lot of radio play.

Any others?

I've noticed this once on tv and it happens every time. When Zoolander comes on TBS. Owen Wilson towards the end says, "That's Bull****!" and it goes uncensored every time. on tv. sorry for the off topic.

in the mid-90's we had a metal station in Columbus (99.7 The Blitz) they used to run everything unedited, the head of the channel openly said it was "one profanity or a thousand, it still only costs us $10,000 a month in fines, we think it's worth it.". Since then, they're made the fines bigger, but i know some stuff gets through, especially in stuff made in 90's.

in the mid-90's we had a metal station in Columbus (99.7 The Blitz) they used to run everything unedited, the head of the channel openly said it was "one profanity or a thousand, it still only costs us $10,000 a month in fines, we think it's worth it.". Since then, they're made the fines bigger, but i know some stuff gets through, especially in stuff made in 90's.

Right...that's not exactly what I mean though. I'm talking more about songs that have profanity in them but are never edited (usually a single version or a version of a song sent to radio stations will be bleeped or otherwise edited. The ones I listed were never edited, and *most* stations play them without knowledge (or regard)...the same stations I heard those songs on always played the edited version of "Everything Zen" for example.

Dan has the right idea although I'm not sure if it's correct either.

Over here when it was on the radio "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" By Green Day wasn't censored at least every time I heard it. Even today when they play it. Despite the line "Read between the lines, What's ****ed up and every thing's alright" been clear as day

Last edited:
When one of fallout boy's new songs at the time came out (this ain't a scene it's an arms race?) they would edit what was in the parenthesis. The song goes, "This ain't a scene, it's a ******* arms race." The local pop station would bleep the ******* part but the rock station wouldn't. I don't know if that's what you mean though. I just though it was funny how some people respond to it. But I think the station that did bleep it was owned by Clearwater whereas the rock station is owned by some independant company in Indiana.

Right...that's not exactly what I mean though. I'm talking more about songs that have profanity in them but are never edited (usually a single version or a version of a song sent to radio stations will be bleeped or otherwise edited. The ones I listed were never edited, and *most* stations play them without knowledge (or regard)...the same stations I heard those songs on always played the edited version of "Everything Zen" for example.

Dan has the right idea although I'm not sure if it's correct either.

That's what I was trying to get across. I just wasn't clear about it. It's like anime edited for US television. It's not edited by Fox, WB or Cartoon Network. It's edited by the US distributors. It's just like the the music industry, they cut singles and edit them for radio consumption. In the 90's FCC rules had been laxed by the Clinton administration, as well as many performers like Green Day, Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, etc, explicitly said their work would not be edited. So the singles sent to the radio stations were edit free.

I have friends who work in TV and radio, and this is the explanation I got. The reason why you still hear unedited stuff is because they're either working off old single carts or the single has never had an edited replacement. They dodge FCC penalties because the carts were from before the rule changes, and are hence grandfathered with the older more lax rules.

That's what I was trying to get across. I just wasn't clear about it. It's like anime edited for US television. It's not edited by Fox, WB or Cartoon Network. It's edited by the US distributors. It's just like the the music industry, they cut singles and edit them for radio consumption. In the 90's FCC rules had been laxed by the Clinton administration, as well as many performers like Green Day, Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, etc, explicitly said their work would not be edited. So the singles sent to the radio stations were edit free.

I have friends who work in TV and radio, and this is the explanation I got. The reason why you still hear unedited stuff is because they're either working off old single carts or the single has never had an edited replacement. They dodge FCC penalties because the carts were from before the rule changes, and are hence grandfathered with the older more lax rules.
Very interesting.

I have nothing meaningful to say, but I want to see an online article discussing this bit of legal wonkery so I can tag it and put it into my del.icio.us for future reference.

I've never heard an edited version of "Playin' With the Boys" by Kenny Loggins, from the Top Gun soundtrack. It was pretty risque, especially set to the backdrop of a manly volleyball game played by Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer, Rick Rossovich and Anthony Edwards. Every now and then I hear this song on the radio, and it makes me feel dirty.

Is this off topic?

Really, though, this is probably something I should discuss with a therapist.

Oh god, what a breakthrough.

The ****ing *** ****ers, "***** ****in' and ****in' *** All the Mother****in' Time".

It's too much of a classic for them to edit.
I've never heard an edited version of "Playin' With the Boys" by Kenny Loggins, from the Top Gun soundtrack. It was pretty risque, especially set to the backdrop of a manly volleyball game played by Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer, Rick Rossovich and Anthony Edwards. Every now and then I hear this song on the radio, and it makes me feel dirty.

Is this off topic?

Really, though, this is probably something I should discuss with a therapist.

Oh god, what a breakthrough.
*looks up lyrics*

"I'm movin in slow motion
Feels so good
It's a strange anticipation
Knock, knock, knockin on wood
Bodies workin overtime
Man against man
And all that ever matters is baby who's ahead in the game
Funny but it's always the same

(Chorus)
Playin, playin with the boys
Stayin, playin with the boys
After chasin sunsets
One of life's simple joys
Is playin with the boys"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I think I just caught teh ghey.

The ****ing *** ****ers, "***** ****in' and ****in' *** All the Mother****in' Time".

It's too much of a classic for them to edit.

*looks up lyrics*

"I'm movin in slow motion
Feels so good
It's a strange anticipation
Knock, knock, knockin on wood
Bodies workin overtime
Man against man
And all that ever matters is baby who's ahead in the game
Funny but it's always the same

(Chorus)
Playin, playin with the boys
Stayin, playin with the boys
After chasin sunsets
One of life's simple joys
Is playin with the boys"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I think I just caught teh ghey.

Kenny Loggins'll do that to ya.

AC DC - Highway to Hell

The official liner notes say

Living easy, livin' free
Season ticket, on a one - way ride

but he clearly drops the N word instead of ticket.
:lol:

I don't know. I think he says "niggard".

Or he just says "ticket" and you're racist enough to hear the n word.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back