Batman - Arkham 3

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
So it appears Arkham 3 may be called "Batman - Arkham Knight", which is a title I like and follows a certain progression.

http://imgmr.com/xbox-one/news/4552-new-batman-game-in-development

This isn't confirmed but does seem like one of the better title options I've heard, and with the other basic info given does seem likely.

On that note, I think it'd be cool if the developers of Origins, WB Montreal, did a spin off of the Arkham series that focused on Terry McGinnis, and call it Batman - Beyond Arkham. It would follow the same basic formula of the Arkham games, but be set in the future, and offer a sort of Blade Runner/Gothic design combo, as well as allowing for noticeable differentiations to the gadgets based on more advanced tech.

It would also allow for more variation in terms of enemies, who are also able to use more advanced tech, giving them the ability to shield themselves from attacks, detect Batman lurking in shadows or even his heartbeat/electromagnetic emissions from the tech in Batman's suit, etc, which would offer a nice challenge and variation of the standard thugs in the previous games. Plus if I recall correctly the Beyond suit allowed Terry to become invisible, which would offer a more expanded approach to the stealth aspect of the current games, but be useless against certain enemies with those electromagnetic and/or heartbeat detectors. The tech upgrades could also offer interesting and new approaches to detective skills, etc. Just an idea.

Last edited:
So it appears Arkham 3 may be called "Batman - Arkham Knight", which is a title I like and follows a certain progression.

This isn't confirmed but does seem like one of the better title options I've heard, and with the other basic info given does seem likely.

On that note, I think it'd be cool if the developers of Origins, WB Montreal, did a spin off of the Arkham series that focused on Terry McGinnis, and call it Batman - Beyond Arkham. It would follow the same basic formula of the Arkham games, but be set in the future, and offer a sort of Blade Runner/Gothic design combo, as well as allowing for noticeable differentiations to the gadgets based on more advanced tech. It would also allow for more variation in terms of enemies, who are also able to use more advanced tech, giving them the ability to shield themselves from attacks, detect Batman lurking in shadows or even his heartbeat/electromagnetic emissions from the tech in Batman's suit, etc, which would offer a nice challenge and variation of the standard thugs in the previous games. The tech upgrades could also offer interesting and new approaches to detective skills, etc. Just an idea.

That's a pretty sweet idea.

That's a pretty sweet idea.

Thanks. I've never been a big fan or that knowledgeable about the Batman Beyond mythos, but think it'd be a cool way of expanding the Arkham series into a new, sci-fi-esque and hi-tech area as well as offering practical ways of expanding/altering certain gameplay mechanics to fit the storyline/setting. The future storyline could also be a cool way of offering hints at the ultimate outcome of the fates of certain heroes and villains already introduced in the previous games.

It's not a bad idea, but I'd rather get a bright and colorful Superman game.

On that note, I think it'd be cool if the developers of Origins, WB Montreal, did a spin off of the Arkham series that focused on Terry McGinnis, and call it Batman - Beyond Arkham. It would follow the same basic formula of the Arkham games, but be set in the future, and offer a sort of Blade Runner/Gothic design combo, as well as allowing for noticeable differentiations to the gadgets based on more advanced tech.

It would also allow for more variation in terms of enemies, who are also able to use more advanced tech, giving them the ability to shield themselves from attacks, detect Batman lurking in shadows or even his heartbeat/electromagnetic emissions from the tech in Batman's suit, etc, which would offer a nice challenge and variation of the standard thugs in the previous games. Plus if I recall correctly the Beyond suit allowed Terry to become invisible, which would offer a more expanded approach to the stealth aspect of the current games, but be useless against certain enemies with those electromagnetic and/or heartbeat detectors. The tech upgrades could also offer interesting and new approaches to detective skills, etc. Just an idea.

That could be a lot of fun. Or a Dark Knight Returns influenced game... Or Batman 666...

Incidentally, shouldn't this be Arkham 4?

And I'm totally going to post up my Batman: Terror City/Batman: Prison City/Batman: Broken City sequel trilogy outline tomorrow.

Last edited:
It's not a bad idea, but I'd rather get a bright and colorful Superman game.

Good luck with that. Superman for N64 pretty much killed off the idea of there ever being a decent Superman game. Also, the character himself doesn't lend well to translation into a video game. He's essentially immortal, super strong, etc. That means a health bar wouldn't make sense, unless they set up the story ahead of time he'd been affected by Kryptonite somehow and weakened. But then you're just stripping the character's gravitas and making him a lamer version, essentially, not being able to play as Superman, but a weakened version. If you want to make it a challenge, you have to sacrifice the character's full potential.

Of course they could have him facing only other Kryptonians, I suppose, but given there are a few handfuls in the comic mythology and a handful in the current movie mythology (and all banished to the Phantom Zone), that doesn't leave a huge amount of enemies.

I suppose a game could introduce more powerful enemies on scale with Superman, like Brainiac, Doomsday, etc, but that would require approaching the game "levels" as big, one on one battles against those enemies, which wouldn't be a bad idea, actually.

That could be a lot of fun. Or a Dark Knight Returns influenced game... Or Batman 666... Incidentally, shouldn't this be Arkham 4?

No. Technically Origins as a prequel game not made by Rocksteady essentially makes it a "spin off", game. In terms of the original trilogy, the next game chronologically after Arkham City is Arkham 3.

And I'm totally going to post up my Batman: Terror City/Batman: Prison City/Batman: Broken City sequel trilogy outline tomorrow.

Promises, promises.

Good luck with that. Superman for N64 pretty much killed off the idea of there ever being a decent Superman game. Also, the character himself doesn't lend well to translation into a video game. He's essentially immortal, super strong, etc. That means a health bar wouldn't make sense, unless they set up the story ahead of time he'd been affected by Kryptonite somehow and weakened. But then you're just stripping the character's gravitas and making him a lamer version, essentially, not being able to play as Superman, but a weakened version. If you want to make it a challenge, you have to sacrifice the character's full potential.

I think it's entirely workable. Set it in a Metropolis that's really the future of tomorrow. The Kent's got Kal, but the government got the rocket ship and in the time since Clark grew up, Lex, the scientific prodigy who helped reverse engineer the ship for the military has gone private sector and used the ship holy grail to turn the failing Metropolis into a city on the cutting edge of 21st century technology. The structure of the ship and the planet Krypton itself is a crystalline latticework that self-replicates in sunlight. This kryptonite isn't inherently dangerous to Superman, but if used as a weapon, it can certainly injure him. Kryptonite and Krypton technology powers the rocket-packed science police who patrol the city, the black market superweapons in the hands of Intergang thugs, and the failed experiments of Cadmus labs.

Start off as an Action Comics #1 Superman, the kind of guy who can jump really far and still get hurt by a tank shell. As he grows in power, the threats move from "conventional" weaponry to high science superguns and as he progresses to the level of a god, these threats evolve into juggling multiple threats, protecting both his own health and the integrity of the city and civilians.

DIrishB said:
No. Technically Origins as a prequel game not made by Rocksteady essentially makes it a "spin off", game. In terms of the original trilogy, the next game chronologically after Arkham City is Arkham 3.

That's silly.

I'd love a Spin off like say "Nightwing Arkham origins" where we seen Dick become nightwing for the first time and try to establish himself without the help of batman. It would use less gadgets but would be a story i really want to see play out.

I think it's entirely workable. Set it in a Metropolis that's really the future of tomorrow. The Kent's got Kal, but the government got the rocket ship and in the time since Clark grew up, Lex, the scientific prodigy who helped reverse engineer the ship for the military has gone private sector and used the ship holy grail to turn the failing Metropolis into a city on the cutting edge of 21st century technology. The structure of the ship and the planet Krypton itself is a crystalline latticework that self-replicates in sunlight. This kryptonite isn't inherently dangerous to Superman, but if used as a weapon, it can certainly injure him. Kryptonite and Krypton technology powers the rocket-packed science police who patrol the city, the black market superweapons in the hands of Intergang thugs, and the failed experiments of Cadmus labs. Start off as an Action Comics #1 Superman, the kind of guy who can jump really far and still get hurt by a tank shell. As he grows in power, the threats move from "conventional" weaponry to high science superguns and as he progresses to the level of a god, these threats evolve into juggling multiple threats, protecting both his own health and the integrity of the city and civilians.

That's actually a great approach.

That's silly.

No it's not.

I WIN!

Of course they could have him facing only other Kryptonians, I suppose, but given there are a few handfuls in the comic mythology and a handful in the current movie mythology (and all banished to the Phantom Zone), that doesn't leave a huge amount of enemies.

I suppose a game could introduce more powerful enemies on scale with Superman, like Brainiac, Doomsday, etc, but that would require approaching the game "levels" as big, one on one battles against those enemies, which wouldn't be a bad idea, actually.

The Arkham games had levels already anyway.

I think it's entirely workable. Set it in a Metropolis that's really the future of tomorrow. The Kent's got Kal, but the government got the rocket ship and in the time since Clark grew up, Lex, the scientific prodigy who helped reverse engineer the ship for the military has gone private sector and used the ship holy grail to turn the failing Metropolis into a city on the cutting edge of 21st century technology. The structure of the ship and the planet Krypton itself is a crystalline latticework that self-replicates in sunlight. This kryptonite isn't inherently dangerous to Superman, but if used as a weapon, it can certainly injure him. Kryptonite and Krypton technology powers the rocket-packed science police who patrol the city, the black market superweapons in the hands of Intergang thugs, and the failed experiments of Cadmus labs.

Start off as an Action Comics #1 Superman, the kind of guy who can jump really far and still get hurt by a tank shell. As he grows in power, the threats move from "conventional" weaponry to high science superguns and as he progresses to the level of a god, these threats evolve into juggling multiple threats, protecting both his own health and the integrity of the city and civilians.

That's silly.

It's like you responded to your own post but with my feelings. I don't want a stripped character. I want Superman.

Last edited:
The Arkham games had levels already anyway.

Not really. They were more open world, though I suppose there's a case for classifying certain sections of AA or the city as levels, as well as the indoor levels, as levels.

It's like you responded to your own post but with my feelings. I don't want a stripped character. I want Superman.

Yes, I agree, that would be a cool approach. I'm admittedly ignorant of Superman's villains so was having trouble imagining an approach that would work and respect the character's mythology.

Zombi did it for us, though. I'd be down to play that game!

Also, I didn't come up with the idea for a Batman Beyond game all on my own. Was chatting with a friend of mine who suggested a BB game, and I mentioned it would be a cool spin off of the already established Arkham series. And we came up with a few ideas, nothing that detailed though.

I just thought it would be an interesting bridge game, a footstep towards developing other DC heroes/villains in video games related to the Arkham universe, but with their own tones and storylines, obviously. We've already gotten a hint at a Suicide Squad game in Origins and Origins - Blackgate. Eventually I'd love to see characters like Flash, Superman, Green Lantern, etc. Even a full on Justice League game would be cool. That was also the inspiration for the Beyond game, right down to its title. Batman - Beyond Arkham, certainly echoes a decision to move beyond the Batman/Arkham setting, and the Batman Beyond character offers a lot of cool possibilities.

Zombi's ideas for a Superman game would be perfect.

Green Lantern could feature a blend of Earth based and cosmic battles, maybe utilizing a combo system to create a huge variety of projections, which would be a cool melding of a third person action game with the classic 2D fighting games which utilized the combo approach.

Flash could adapt a sort of Sonic the Hedgehog in 3D/racing game aspects combined with fisticuffs/combat. Would be very cool to have to chase Professor Zoom/Reverse Flash throughout the city, relying in quick and precise maneuvering to avoid crashing into building walls, cars, etc.

A Wonder Woman game would be cool, too, and would be interesting if it drew inspiration from the God of War series, utilizing weapons combat (including the lasso), and much more of an up front, in your face level of combat and not relying on stealth...at all, since that doesn't fit into Diana's approach.

Each game could be its own story but feature an overarching thread leading into a collective Justice League game (basically a video game version of the Marvel movies approach). I think the success of the Arkham series is a great springboard to explore the other big DC characters in their own games. It's just important they take advantage of what each character has to offer and how that translates into interesting and fun gameplay.

I think Superman would be well suited to a variation on the Arkham combat engine, tinkered for a greater emphasis on a wrestling/brawling style that puts the focus on juggling. Having a system already built would allow them more resources to devote to the flight mechanics. So you have a grapple, punch, kick, and dash, with strength varied by holding down the face buttons. Holding one trigger would shift the faces to powers like heat vision and freezing breath and the other trigger shifting the attacks to launches and drops (punch becomes upper cut or elbow drop depending on the situation, for instance). Have the first game focused on developing from a leaping strongman to a flying demigod. Rather than spending the second game reacquiring your skills, focus on epic battles. Day to day combat crescendos into big city-wide boss battles (for example, the krypton-engineered tech of Metropolis is coopted by Brainiac and you have to quickly scatter between varioius battle fronts throughout the city, minimizing your own damage while also watching the damage of integrity to the city).

For Flash, I'd get a solid racing developer behind the game. Build the Central City districts as basically a series of interconnected racing circuits split up amongst the various rogues. Blend together the high speed octane of a street racing game with elements of parcour and brawler. Elements of Megaman in terms of level design.

I picture Wonder Woman as somewhere between God of War and Dynasty Warriors. Big epic battlefields where you can choose between violence and compassion. You can build up your powers and arsenal by just carving your way through your opponents or you can take the tougher route, incapacitating and dodging mooks until you can get close enough to lasso and pacify their generals. The former offers you a wider range of weapons and brutal combos. The latter offers you more in the way of buffs and AI allies.

For Aquaman, maybe a big honkin' undersea based action RPG?

For Martian Manhunter, a paranoid stealth game with an emphasis on shapeshifting and possession?

Don't get me started on the awesome potential of a Resurrection Man game. I think it could knock all the big name characters out of the water in terms of quality.

Last edited:
Take the Superman Returns and Superman from LEGO Batman 2 game and just make it better in every way. I loved flying around Metorpolis and Gotham but there wasn't really anything to do.

Last edited:
I think Superman would be well suited to a variation on the Arkham combat engine, tinkered for a greater emphasis on a wrestling/brawling style that puts the focus on juggling. Having a system already built would allow them more resources to devote to the flight mechanics. So you have a grapple, punch, kick, and dash, with strength varied by holding down the face buttons. Holding one trigger would shift the faces to powers like heat vision and freezing breath and the other trigger shifting the attacks to launches and drops (punch becomes upper cut or elbow drop depending on the situation, for instance). Have the first game focused on developing from a leaping strongman to a flying demigod. Rather than spending the second game reacquiring your skills, focus on epic battles. Day to day combat crescendos into big city-wide boss battles (for example, the krypton-engineered tech of Metropolis is coopted by Brainiac and you have to quickly scatter between varioius battle fronts throughout the city, minimizing your own damage while also watching the damage of integrity to the city).

For Flash, I'd get a solid racing developer behind the game. Build the Central City districts as basically a series of interconnected racing circuits split up amongst the various rogues. Blend together the high speed octane of a street racing game with elements of parcour and brawler. Elements of Megaman in terms of level design.

I picture Wonder Woman as somewhere between God of War and Dynasty Warriors. Big epic battlefields where you can choose between violence and compassion. You can build up your powers and arsenal by just carving your way through your opponents or you can take the tougher route, incapacitating and dodging mooks until you can get close enough to lasso and pacify their generals. The former offers you a wider range of weapons and brutal combos. The latter offers you more in the way of buffs and AI allies.

For Aquaman, maybe a big honkin' undersea based action RPG?

For Martian Manhunter, a paranoid stealth game with an emphasis on shapeshifting and possession?

Don't get me started on the awesome potential of a Resurrection Man game. I think it could knock all the big name characters out of the water in terms of quality.

All fantastic idea. Seriously what are you doing for a day job that's preventing you from overseeing development of these games?

Latest posts

Back