Batman - Arkham Knight

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Looks like the next Arkham game by Rocksteady will be hitting later this year, called Batman - Arkham Knight. The official announcement is tomorrow. Not sure if we'll get a trailer or not, though it's likely, and I'm sure we'll get some story details.

I'd love it if they expanded the playable cast a bit in the story/campaign aspect of the game, as opposed to just the Challenge maps and DLC. Would be nice to play as Robin, Nightwing, and maybe even Batgirl.

I'm also really hoping Man-Bat makes an appearance and offers an aerial boss battle requiring use of the grapple hook and a few other of Batman's tools. Would offer a welcome new approach/style to the boss battles in the previous games, and would be a lot of fun.

Anyway, the announcement will be made on DC's All Access web show.

batman-arkham-sequel1-600x797.jpg

I still want a Rocksteady Superman game.

Leaked image/info:

arkham-knight.png

In the explosive finale to the Arkham series, Batman faces the ultimate threat against the city he is sworn to protect. The Scarecrow returns to unite an impressive roster of super villains, including Penguin, Two-Face and Harley Quinn, to destroy The Dark Knight forever.

Batman: Arkham Knight introduces Rocksteady's uniquely designed version of the Batmobile, which is drivable for the first time in the franchise. The addition of this legendary vehicle, combined with the acclaimed gameplay of the Batman Arkham series, offers gamers the ultimate and complete Batman experience as they tear through the streets and soar across the skyline of the entirety of Gotham City.

Be The Batman.

EDIT:

Game Informer covers.

tumblr_n1x6z0Ejw81qasnlao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n1x6z0Ejw81qasnlao2_1280.jpg

EDIT 2:

The announcement trailer:

[video=youtube;NkuD0Inb9Gs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NkuD0Inb9Gs[/video]

Right now it will only be on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Last edited:
Love everything except Harley's face its too different to me compared to previous but I will buy this on my PS4

I hope it's for Wii U or PS3

Unfortunately it looks like it's next gen exclusive (Xbox One or PS4). Which means I better start saving up for an Xbox One. :(

The trailer was pretty great. Loved the voice over narration of Thomas Wayne's will. The line "please don't waste the money on fast cars and ridiculous clothes" while showing the Batmobile and him putting on the Batsuit was great.

Also loving that we get to drive the Batmobile along Gotham's streets in this one. Been hoping for that since the first game's announcement. Interesting that it seems influenced by the Batmobile from Nolan's films.

It is unfortunate that it's exclusive to next gen consoles/PC, so I'll have to buy an Xbox One to play it. But that honestly doesn't surprise me as 2014 and 2015 will see the phasing out of new titles for the older systems (Xbox 360 and PS3).

It's also nice that this will serve as a definitive conclusion for Rocksteady's trilogy, though I have no doubts that WB Montreal will continue releasing new Batman - Arkham games ever other year or so, and Rocksteady will move onto new IPs.

Also liking that it's following up on the clues left in Arkham City, focusing on Scarecrow's plot. I'm thinking we'll also see Hush, Azrael, and other dangling plot threads from AC resolved here. And it looks like Penguin, Two Face, and Harley are all in cahoots with Scarecrow.

My interest is beyond piqued (though it was anyway long before this announcement).

Eh, I dunno. The setup just feels so familiar at this point - just another contrived reason for all the rogues to gather. I thought it was done best in Asylum, done perfectly fine in City, but Origins has kind of gotten me thinking that you can only do that sort of thing so many times before it starts to feel stale. I know Rocksteady didn't do Origins, but I can't help but feel that this premise is pretty similar, when you get down to it.

I guess it'll all depend on how it's executed.

Omehgawwwww it looks so good! And it sounds like they're incorporating some of the worries I've addressed over how the old games need to involve. Plus, the Batmobile bit in the trailer and a comment made in the GI intro makes it sound like they're really trying to make the Batmobile navigation fit seamlessly into the navigation methods of the old games. It's nice to see Harvey getting some love too.

DIrishB said:
It is unfortunate that it's exclusive to next gen consoles/PC, so I'll have to buy an Xbox One to play it. But that honestly doesn't surprise me as 2014 and 2015 will see the phasing out of new titles for the older systems (Xbox 360 and PS3).

It's a double edged sword. It means buying a new system, but it also means they can do so much more with the game. If they build it cross-platform, that means they're limited to the specifications of the old systems and the next gen versions will just look better. Building it exclusively for next gen means they have a lot more power to pack in as much as possible. That means a bigger city and more features.

But why in god's name would you get an XBox One instead of a PS4?

Hopefully the story flows better then the last three but still looking forward to this regardless.

I thought the stories weren't all that, but Origins was a definite improvement over the first two.

Last edited:
It's a double edged sword. It means buying a new system, but it also means they can do so much more with the game. If they build it cross-platform, that means they're limited to the specifications of the old systems and the next gen versions will just look better. Building it exclusively for next gen means they have a lot more power to pack in as much as possible. That means a bigger city and more features. But why in god's name would you get an XBox One instead of a PS4?

I know, and I'm looking forward to that, but I'm not looking forward to having to plunk down $400-500 on a new system.

As for why I'd buy an Xbox One over a PS4, I've just never really been a fan of the PS exclusive game series. I've owned an Xbox and Xbox 360 and just prefer the Xbox exclusive titles more, I suppose. Plus I don't like the PS controller. Not really sure how to explain it, but it just doesn't feel right in my hands. It's too small, maybe. Guess it's the American stereotype of "bigger is better"?

I know, and I'm looking forward to that, but I'm not looking forward to having to plunk down $400-500 on a new system.

As for why I'd buy an Xbox One over a PS4, I've just never really been a fan of the PS exclusive game series. I've owned an Xbox and Xbox 360 and just prefer the Xbox exclusive titles more, I suppose. Plus I don't like the PS controller. Not really sure how to explain it, but it just doesn't feel right in my hands. It's too small, maybe. Guess it's the American stereotype of "bigger is better"?

I don't know, but I think you're making a terrible mistake. :D

I had a 360 too, but Sony has such a huge advantage this generation.

And apart from Halo and Gears of War, I can't even think of any exclusives MS has anymore!

Last edited:
I don't know, but I think you're making a terrible mistake. :D I had a 360 too, but Sony has such a huge advantage this generation. And apart from Halo and Gears of War, I can't even think of any exclusives MS has anymore!

Titanfall, which looks like fun.

Eh, I'm just not into PS exclusives. Metal Gear Solid is about the only PS exclusive that interested me, and it's not even exclusive to PS anymore.

As for the graphics thing, I could honestly care less about PS4's games looking better. That's tertiary and certainly doesn't affect the gameplay or story, which is what really matters.

Don't get me wrong, MS handled the announcement of Xbox One's features terribly, and while I'm glad they did a 180 on most if those, I've certainly become extremely wary of the company. I also think it was moronic to include a Kinect with all Xbox One's... many games don't even use them, and it should have been an optional accessory to buy, not required. That would've allowed MS to price the Xbox One better versus the PS4.

Very poor business decision on their part regarding the Xbox One from the start, and short sighted of them to think the 24 hour check in and other initial requirements when it was first announced wouldn't turn off a lot of potential buyers.

But, they did reverse most of those decisions, and I just prefer the Xbox hardware (well mainly the controllers), so it won't be a mistake, least for me. Maybe for people who prefer to have the absolute best graphics, but like I said, that's not important.

Last edited:
Titanfall, which looks like fun.

Eh, I'm just not into PS exclusives. Metal Gear Solid is about the only PS exclusive that interested me, and it's not even exclusive to PS anymore.

As for the graphics thing, I could honestly care less about PS4's games looking better. That's tertiary and certainly doesn't affect the gameplay or story, which is what really matters.

Don't get me wrong, MS handled the announcement of Xbox One's features terribly, and while I'm glad they did a 180 on most if those, I've certainly become extremely wary of the company. I also think it was moronic to include a Kinect with all Xbox One's... many games don't even use them, and it should have been an optional accessory to buy, not required. That would've allowed MS to price the Xbox One better versus the PS4.

Very poor business decision on their part regarding the Xbox One from the start, and short sighted of them to think the 24 hour check in and other initial requirements when it was first announced wouldn't turn off a lot of potential buyers.

But, they did reverse most of those decisions, and I just prefer the Xbox hardware (well mainly the controllers), so it won't be a mistake, least for me. Maybe for people who prefer to have the absolute best graphics, but like I said, that's not important.

I'm not talking about graphics. As I understand it, the difference isn't that great. I'm more talking about the PS4 being a hundred bucks cheaper, their online service coming with free monthly high quality games (many of which are triple A titles that are only a few months old), an aggressive push to court and actively support indie publishers, and the promise in the near future to be able to stream any game from the past three generations of Sony systems.

Microsoft is in the same position Sony was when the last generation launched. They've proven themselves to be pretty short sighted and uninterested in pursuing the sort of strategies that interest their consumer base. And while they might eventually play catch-up, I don't see it happening any time soon. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4's popularity scores them more new exclusives and encourages them to incorporate more features to keep their lead on MS.

Last edited:
So Game Informer put a story interview up on their site. There's a few things revealed, some of them a mixed bag. It turns out they did dump the pregnant Harley subplot, and her motivation is killing Batman for Joker's death. That doesn't give me a lot of hope that they'll be moving away from the co-dependent dumb bimbo version of the character. The premise is that the city has been evacuated after Scarecrow threatens a terror attack, so we won't be having the big open city with citizens and all that. It's going to be a bigger environment filled solely with thugs again. And it takes place over one night again. Finally, Arkham Knight refers to the name of a new character that appears to be an evil Batman who carries a gun and wears a BatRobocop suit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back