Batman: The Brave and the Bold (series discussion)

This episode was horrible, and not in a good way.

The story is cliche, which is fine, if you can bring something new to the table, which this doesn't. Its the same old story, and not interesting at all.

And we didn't even get a cool beginning to it. It was just another Green Arrow/Batman rivalry thing, which we got a whole episode on last season.

This week's episode made me cry.

Poor Tornado. Both of them.

I got a bit choked up.

What a wonderful episode. While I agree with Houde, it was cliche, I really think it worked.

And what made it was that Red Tornado killed his son twice in the course of the episode. TWICE.

That's drama.

OK I had only seen the Adam Strange and Bronze Tiger episodes so I thought I'd give this a try and after watching every episode I can exclaim that this is the funniest/greatest show ever. I think the Joker in the Owlman episode was the best with his extremely good sense of humor and ability to pull a freaking bazooka out of hammerspace. The entire show on the whole is fantastic despite my initial misgivings.

I got a bit choked up.

What a wonderful episode. While I agree with Houde, it was cliche, I really think it worked.

And what made it was that Red Tornado killed his son twice in the course of the episode. TWICE.

That's drama.

Agreed.

And while I also agree it was cliche, in particular those speechs Red Tornado gives to his son about the nature of humanity...and then it's revealed while he may be more human then he realizes, he still can't understand them, so he just parroted what he'd heard about humanity from movies. Then it just became brilliant.

Agreed.

And while I also agree it was cliche, in particular those speechs Red Tornado gives to his son about the nature of humanity...and then it's revealed while he may be more human then he realizes, he still can't understand them, so he just parroted what he'd heard about humanity from movies. Then it just became brilliant.

That's exactly what I thought. Superb bit of character.

The Bat-Mite episode was so fantastically wonderful. The BTAS refs were terrific. But my favourite reference was a call to THE GREAT PIGGY BANK ROBBERY! How obscure and bizarre is THAT?!?!?!

If you don't know what I'm talking about...

[youtube]9Dwvw_wMUC4[/youtube]

I'm so glad someone else caught up on it!

Man... That cartoon is easily one of the greatest in the Warner Bros. stable, and that's saying a lot considering.... y'know.... It's Warner Bros.

:D This show gets better every time.

But, yeah. I agree with Houde about the Red Tornado episode.

While I confess I wasn't too impressed by the last two episodes, I still miss this show.

Stupid Cartoon Network and their CN Real block.

I barely knew of OMAC before this. Now I love him.

Equinox should prove to be a fairly interesting recurring villain.

This iteriation of Hawk and Dove is just hilarious.

The new episode "Inside the Outsiders" was pretty good, I liked Black Lightning's nightmare, and I didn't really know that much about Psycho Pirate before this, so there's that. Also, the beginning clip of Bats and Green Arrow vs. Catwoman made me :lol:.

Carried over from the other thread:
His "purpose"? And here I thought the purpose of characters was to tell stories.

Obviously, but I think characters can have their own purposes inside of that. Somebody like Batman, who is so intrisically dark and sad and serious, by design.... why give him an off the wall, bright, fun show? Why not use a different character for that and do a good dark show about Batman? Trying to do a soul-wrenching crime show starring the Animainiacs would be just as ridiculous to me.

I guess my main gripe is that as a Batman fan, I just feel like I've been cheated out of a series of great new traditional Batman stories during a time when it was like a given one would happen, because they wanted to use his character for this show, when it seems like it would be WAY more suited to somebody else.

I would like to point out that Batman:tB&tB is a serious show presented as a silly one.

It's played entirely with a straight face it's not like Batman's going for slap-stick jokes left and right

Hell the art style is the only thing that makes it silly and the occasional banter with a silly team-up (Plastic Man, Joker), the series just takes it's premise's from outlandish silver-age stories

I'm surprised to hear this, because basically all I've heard is about how zany it is and it's seemed that way the few times I've tried it. But to be fair I probably haven't seen enough of it to tell if it's something deeper that it seems, and maybe I've underestimated it. But it just seems so wrong for Batman's current image.

But like as it was said in the Bat-Mite episode, there's hundreds of of interpretations on batman and all are valid.

If you don't like it that's fine, but don't go hating on those that do.

I would like to point out that Batman:tB&tB is a serious show presented as a silly one.

It's played entirely with a straight face it's not like Batman's going for slap-stick jokes left and right

Hell the art style is the only thing that makes it silly and the occasional banter with a silly team-up (Plastic Man, Joker), the series just takes it's premise's from outlandish silver-age stories

I can sort of see what you mean, but I would still maintain that it is a very silly show. Most of the characters other than Batman are more comedic and over-the-top than they ever were, even in the most sugary, ultra-cornball Silver Age stories. Aquaman might as well be King Neptune from Spongebob. He was never like that in any story I've ever read.

For the record, I still can't get what all the fuss is about with this show. I get all the jokes and references (Earth 2 Robin suit, utility belt dialogue, Crazy Quilt) they mean nothing to me. Why is everyone so excited about references to the comics? Did the DCAU never make references to the comics?!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back