Battlestar Galactica (re-imagined)

leather_w0lf

I was shocked to see that the best TV show (EVER, IMO) didn't have a thread here. Why should it? Because it's essentially the Ultimates of cheesey sci-fi TV, that's why! In fact Ron Moore should be contacted by Marvel to develope an Ultimate Universe storyline sometime. The man is a frakkin' genius.

With the first half of season two ending last night, I am eagerly awaiting the return in January.

So, if there is enough interest out there, lets start a discussion here on what's transpired so far - opinions, reviews, etc.

Who's with me?

I'd watch it if I had Sci-Fi (Sci-Fi, right?).

:sure: Best show on television?

Lost
Smallville
House M.D.
Rome
Entourage
Family Guy
Robot Chicken
Prison Break

What the hell, Desperate Housewives even...

BattleStar Galactica? Ah... I'll give you Stargate even but the best shows on Sci-Fi are repeats of Quantam Leap and Sliders.

I love Battlestar Galactica. Its a very well done show, and have been hooked since the mini-series launching the show first aired in 2003. By the way Leather, what happened on last night's episode? I missed it since I went out drinking. I know Admiral Cain showed up, but any earth-shattering surprises?

OK - The show is on Fridays at 10:00 p.m. on the Sci-Fi Channell. If you don't have the Sci Fi channel, the Mini Series as well as Season 1 are now available to rent on DVD. No excuses. lol. Go to http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/ for the official page or http://www.sciencefictionbuzz.com/battlestar-galactica-news.html for fluff. The epsiode "33" - the first of season 1, won a Hugo for best short film sci-fi. Yeah. It was that good. It beat Lost.

Let me first set up the show: Take all prejudgement from Glenn Larson's 70's show and toss it away. BSG is now a metaphor for 9/11. Ron Moore, the creater and producer of the "re-imagining" has started by re-telling the origianal series in a very Ultimates-esque fashion. Yes, they are searching for Earth - but that is something that starts out as a lie to give people something to believe in and turns into something much more spiritual and very real in the second season. Big differences:

1.) Apollo, Starbuck, Boomer, etc. They are only pilot code names. The characters have real names now. Apollo is Lee Adama, son of Commander Adama, which has remained constant. Starbuck is Kara Thrace, a tough cigar chompin, hard drinking, ahrder fighting - woman! Dirk Bennedict, eat your shorts. Starbuck is cooler now than ever before. And she's hot.

2.) The Cylons can create humanoid cyborgs that are virtually undectable. There are many copies of model. Boomer, the black dude from the original series, is now an Asian chick named Sharon. Oh, and she is also revealed to be a Cylon. Each of these Cylon models have a different purpose. Sharon's, for example, is to procreate.

3.) Commander Will Adama is now just a military officer on an old Battlestar that is about to be decomissioned. The Galactica escapes the Cylon attack because it does not have a wireless computer network. The XO, Col. Tigh is no longer a salty haired black guy. Now he's a drunk bald white guy. And is he EVER an arsehole. The role of Serina has been changed into that of Presdient Laura Roslind. She was the Secretary of Education for the colonies. But, well, everyone else died. And she's dying. "And a dying leader shall show them the way to Earth" or something like that. And she's a religious prophet it turns out.

4.) Baltar, the traitor from the first series, is now a respected Doctor and Scientist in the Fleet (as oppossed to a sulking mystery dude on a Cylon Basestar). He is still the traitor, however in this series he is an unwitting accomplice. He had been having an affair with a humanoid Cylon, whom we know as "Number 6," and leaked the passwords for the Colonial Defense System to her - he thought she was making improvements to the network. Now she haunts him, his own personal devil (ie: Lucifer, the little robot that was Baltar's buddy in the original series), that only he can see. She's hot. In one Episode he thinks he is banging Number Six - then a crew member walks in to see him wanking.

5.) There is no little kid with a robot dog. Yet.

6.) Instead of the Cylons being a reptillian race that took on complete cybernetic appearance, now they were created by the humans and rebelled.

7.) The writing makes Lost look lost. It makes Desperate Houswives look desperate. The special effects are A #1 Duke of New York.

8.) They don't have laser guns. They don't wear silly clothes. The Galactica has a lived in look. The story lines are taken right out of our headlines.

9.) The Cylons are religious zealots. There can be only 1 God! The humans have many false gods. They are wrong, they must be destroyed.

Sound familiar?

10.) The vipers look frakkin real! There are Vipers similar to those on the old show (they are antiques that were museum pieces) and newer, sleaker, shinier Vipers. The Cylon Centruions are big mean mo-fo's. The Raiders are no longer crewed by Cylons - they ARE Cylons!!! The space combat is no longer George Lucas WWII dogfight inspired. It is real science space combat. No explosions ringing through our TV speakers. There is no sound in space people.

And I could go on . . . and on . . . and on . . . watch the show people! Here is a critical review of the show:

"September 20, 2005 17:10 - Blogcritics reviews Season 1

"In terms of sheer science-fiction satisfaction, this has been a most excellent summer. Not only did I discover the estimable Joss Whedon's Firefly, but also the latest reimagining of Battlestar Galactica.

"In the 2003 mini-series, 40 years have passed since humanity fought against the Cylons they created. There was no clear winner, since midway through the conflict our robotic foes inexplicably took off for the far reaches of space, never to return.

"Or so we thought. In truth, they came back wearing our skin. Number Six, above pictured cyber-seductress, gets genius and womanizer Dr. Gaius Baltar to unwittingly assist her (it?) into penetrating our defenses. Soon after, the 12 colonies we're living on get hit by nukes. All our ships with networked computers get disabled almost like someone just hit the "OFF" switch.

"Suddenly, the archaic Battlestar Galactica - a ship with no networked computers to speak of and long considered a relic of the First Cylon War - becomes the only hope for the continued survival of our race.

"This background leads to some of the most gripping television I've ever seen."

And then there is this:

"September 9, 2005 14:57 - The Christian Science Monitor loves Battlestar Galactica

"The best show on TV. Really.
"The 1970s series Battlestar Galactica was so dinky that it played like "Bonanza" in space (it, too, starred Lorne Greene). The Sci-Fi Channel's radically reinvented version shares the same premise: A fleet of refugees traverses the galaxy in search of a far-off promised land, Earth. This time, though, it uses the story line as an allegory for the post-9/11 zeitgeist. The characters and plotting are so complex that you'll find other shows like "Lost" comparatively dull. Catch up by renting the miniseries pilot followed by the first season."

Hmmmmmmmmmm . . . didn't I say something like that already?

Leather

Last edited:
SPOILER - EPISODE 210 "PEGASUS"

Finally! The re-imagining of the fan favorite of the 1970's show. They find another Battlestar - The Pegasus! Admiral Cain is no longer a bitter old man played by a bitter old actor (Llyod Bridges in the original) and there doesn't yet appear to a child viper pilot (Anne Lockheart in the original) for Cain (yet!). I've cut and pasted the Sci Fi Channel's recap below:

The mood aboard the Galactica turns jubilant when the top-of-the-line battlestar Pegasus — long thought to have been annihilated with the rest of the colonial fleet — appears out of nowhere.

The Galactica's relatively ragged crew meets their spit-and-polish counterparts from the Pegasus, among them Admiral Helena Cain; her X.O., Col. Jack Fisk; and the ship's CAG, Capt. Cole "Stinger" Taylor. Cain warmly greets Commander Adama, who chooses to yield command of the fleet to his superior officer.

In private, Adama and Cain compare notes. Cain reveals that the Pegasus crew had taken its computers offline for servicing shortly before the original Cylon assault and therefore was able to escape the nuclear genocide. Since then, the ship has been on a relentless search-and-destroy mission against the Cylons.

Each battlestar holds a single Cylon prisoner. Because Vice President Gaius Baltar has successfully extracted information from Sharon, Cain invites him to study her Cylon captive on the Pegasus — a bruised and bloodied replica of Six named Gina.

It is revealed that the Pegasus encountered the Galactica while tracking a Cylon fleet, which itself appears to have been pursuing the Galactica. Plans are laid for both battlestars to attack a mysterious vessel guarded by this fleet.

However, Adama fumes when Cain announces that, due to rampant discipline problems on the Galactica, she will be reassigning key crewmembers from the Galactica to the Pegasus. Later, sparks fly quickly when Stinger maps out a reconnaissance plan that Starbuck bluntly criticizes.

Meanwhile, Lt. Thorne, the chief interrogator from the Pegasus, sets out to "break" Sharon like he broke Gina. Learning of Thorne's brutal tactics, Helo and Tyrol rush to Sharon's aid. A fistfight ensues, and Thorne is accidentally killed.

Cain orders a snap court-martial, and both Helo and Tyrol are sentenced to death. Refusing to allow his men to be convicted and executed without a full tribunal and the opportunity to mount a legal defense, Commander Adama initiates a high-stakes game of chicken that leads to Vipers from both ships training weapons on each other.

TO BE CONTINUED....

TheManWithoutFear said:
:sure: Best show on television?

Lost
Smallville
House M.D.
Rome
Entourage
Family Guy
Robot Chicken
Prison Break

What the hell, Desperate Housewives even...

BattleStar Galactica? Ah... I'll give you Stargate even but the best shows on Sci-Fi are repeats of Quantam Leap and Sliders.

......The OC??????Havent heard of half the shows above, but Stargate sucks.

I like the show as well...

...I want to get the box set of season 1. But I think the new spevial edition box set has the mini-series included (I think? can anyone confirm) so I'll hold out a little longer and just get that.

ace

Greenian said:
I like the show as well...

...I want to get the box set of season 1. But I think the new spevial edition box set has the mini-series included (I think? can anyone confirm) so I'll hold out a little longer and just get that.

ace

The new US version of Season 1 does include the 2003 mini-series, and is about $30 cheaper ($40 vs the UK Season 1 at $70 which DIDN'T include the mini), obviously the US version is the better deal. I think it just came out over here on Sept. 20, so not sure about international.

I understand the UK version is a little more, uh, "revealing." I'm not paying extra money to see something I get for free though, lol.

SPOILERS: EPISODES 212 "RESURRECTION SHIP" & 213 "BLACK MARKET"

Two reports in from Gateworld on a couple episodes after the midseason break. Caution, spoilers are contained.
First:

First spoilers from season's second half
FRIDAY - SEPTEMBER 23, 2005
The first details have arrived at GateWorld for the second half of Battlestar Galactica's second season! While no title for the episode is yet known, it is expected to air as the twelfth episode of the season, following the episode that will wrap up this week's mid-season cliffhanger (rumored to be titled "Resurrection Ship").

Newly promoted Admiral William Adama welcomes a visitor to the Galactica, alongside Colonel Tigh. He is Royan Jahee, a tall and dignified man who speaks for a newly emerging pacifist movement within the fleet. They wish to seek peace with the Cylons, and believe that the Colonials' current plan of fleeing, always losing people and supplies in unending conflicts, can't possibly lead to the survival of the human race, let alone any kind of "victory."

Soon after he is brought on board the Galactica, Adama and Tigh have him tossed in the brig -- though Jahee insists that he is not a part of the movement.

Meanwhile, President Laura Roslin is lying in sickbay. She is apparently near death, as Vice President Gaius Baltar and Billy, the President's aide, are preparing for him to succeed her. But there is a plan to treat her condition, which appears to involve the Cylon Sharon's unborn child. The powers that be are still considering whether or not to allow the baby to come to term.

Back in the brig, Adama and Tigh speak with Royan Jahee. A suicide bomber from the dissident movement has attacked the fleet's Tylium refining ship, damaging its FTL (faster-than-light) drive. Since the fleet cannot leave its invaluable fuel supply behind, they are stuck until the ship can make the proper repairs.

Her condition beginning to improve, Roslin insists on being taken to the brig to speak to Jahee directly. She opens up a dialogue with him, much to his surprise, and reaches an agreement ...

Again, the title for this episode is not yet known. But according to the Internet Movie Database, episode twelve is titled "Epiphanies." It is expected to air in January on The SCI FI Channel in the U.S., following the episode that wraps up this week's mid-season finale, "Pegasus."

The second is for an episode called Black Market:

First details on Season Two's 'Black Market'
SATURDAY - SEPTEMBER 24, 2005
GateWorld has received brand new info on "Black Market," an upcoming episode in the back half of Season Two.
Beware of spoilers in the report below! (highlight to read)

Lee Adama invesitages the murder of a Colonial command officer, Fisk, and is entangled with a mafia-like group of criminals on board the Prometheus. They believe that their existence is necessary and invaluable to the fleet. When the government and the military fails to take care of its people, they are there with food, medicine, or whatever else is needed.

Meanwhile, Lee visits a woman from his past on Caprica, Shevon. It is not entirely clear what their relationship is, but in the past it was romantic. Phelan, leader of the criminal group, suggests that she is a prostitute.

Lee hopes to get Shevon and a young girl in her care, Paya -- who may be Lee's daughter, whose mother was a woman named Gianne -- safely to the Galactica. But Phelan and his men bomb their way into Shevon's quarters and abduct them all.
Guest characters include Shevon, Paya, Phelan, Weller, and Beach (two of Phelan's cronies).

"Black Market" will air in early 2006 on The SCI FI Channel, after Season Two returns with new episodes in January! Stick with GateWorld for the very latest on Battlestar Galactica.

leather_w0lf said:
Two reports in from Gateworld on a couple episodes after the midseason break. Caution, spoilers are contained.
First:

First spoilers from season's second half
FRIDAY - SEPTEMBER 23, 2005
The first details have arrived at GateWorld for the second half of Battlestar Galactica's second season! While no title for the episode is yet known, it is expected to air as the twelfth episode of the season, following the episode that will wrap up this week's mid-season cliffhanger (rumored to be titled "Resurrection Ship").

Newly promoted Admiral William Adama welcomes a visitor to the Galactica, alongside Colonel Tigh. He is Royan Jahee, a tall and dignified man who speaks for a newly emerging pacifist movement within the fleet. They wish to seek peace with the Cylons, and believe that the Colonials' current plan of fleeing, always losing people and supplies in unending conflicts, can't possibly lead to the survival of the human race, let alone any kind of "victory."

Soon after he is brought on board the Galactica, Adama and Tigh have him tossed in the brig -- though Jahee insists that he is not a part of the movement.

Meanwhile, President Laura Roslin is lying in sickbay. She is apparently near death, as Vice President Gaius Baltar and Billy, the President's aide, are preparing for him to succeed her. But there is a plan to treat her condition, which appears to involve the Cylon Sharon's unborn child. The powers that be are still considering whether or not to allow the baby to come to term.

Back in the brig, Adama and Tigh speak with Royan Jahee. A suicide bomber from the dissident movement has attacked the fleet's Tylium refining ship, damaging its FTL (faster-than-light) drive. Since the fleet cannot leave its invaluable fuel supply behind, they are stuck until the ship can make the proper repairs.

Her condition beginning to improve, Roslin insists on being taken to the brig to speak to Jahee directly. She opens up a dialogue with him, much to his surprise, and reaches an agreement ...

Again, the title for this episode is not yet known. But according to the Internet Movie Database, episode twelve is titled "Epiphanies." It is expected to air in January on The SCI FI Channel in the U.S., following the episode that wraps up this week's mid-season finale, "Pegasus."

The second is for an episode called Black Market:

First details on Season Two's 'Black Market'
SATURDAY - SEPTEMBER 24, 2005
GateWorld has received brand new info on "Black Market," an upcoming episode in the back half of Season Two.
Beware of spoilers in the report below! (highlight to read)

Lee Adama invesitages the murder of a Colonial command officer, Fisk, and is entangled with a mafia-like group of criminals on board the Prometheus. They believe that their existence is necessary and invaluable to the fleet. When the government and the military fails to take care of its people, they are there with food, medicine, or whatever else is needed.

Meanwhile, Lee visits a woman from his past on Caprica, Shevon. It is not entirely clear what their relationship is, but in the past it was romantic. Phelan, leader of the criminal group, suggests that she is a prostitute.

Lee hopes to get Shevon and a young girl in her care, Paya -- who may be Lee's daughter, whose mother was a woman named Gianne -- safely to the Galactica. But Phelan and his men bomb their way into Shevon's quarters and abduct them all.
Guest characters include Shevon, Paya, Phelan, Weller, and Beach (two of Phelan's cronies).

"Black Market" will air in early 2006 on The SCI FI Channel, after Season Two returns with new episodes in January! Stick with GateWorld for the very latest on Battlestar Galactica.

By the way, the episode after Black Market is called "Sacrifice", and you're right about Epiphanies being the name of the other episode.

Latest posts

Back