Because Brian K. Vaughan will probably never come to Ultimate Central :( ....

TheManWithoutFear said:
Why?

This might be my fault but the point of this thread is to promote Pride of Baghdad not talk about how friendly writer's are to us fanboys.

I said I need to join just so I can get in on the funny Millar comments.

I'm all about promoting Pride of Baghdad!!!! BTW---any other good BKV suggestions??

It's out today. Can't wait to get it in the mail in a few days. Don't start a discussion thread until you have something to contribute. Thanks for playing. I hope this book is as good as well everyone, except two ignorant punks on MySpace, think it's gonna be.

Re:

TheManWithoutFear said:
Because Brian K. Vaughan will probably never come to Ultimate Central :( .....

Not to make any waves but Brian will not go anywhere near a place that is objective towards his writing. He's quite arrogant and does not take criticism well.

Re:

WolviesWife said:
Not to make any waves but Brian will not go anywhere near a place that is objective towards his writing. He's quite arrogant and does not take criticism well.

I thought overall Ultimate Central was pretty positive towards him. And I thought he was big on "you can talk **** about me but not about my other creator friends"

I don't find him arrogant at all. It's part of the whole reason he's one of my favorite guys. He seems like a really nice guy. The only time he attacks members on his board is when they criticize other creators.

Re:

WolviesWife said:
Lies!!! Lies and Slander!!!
benderdw0.jpg

Last edited:
Re:

TheManWithoutFear said:
I thought overall Ultimate Central was pretty positive towards him.

Very much so. I'd venture to guess that besides Alan Moore, no writer gets more positive reviews and whatnot on this site.

Re:

E said:
Very much so. I'd venture to guess that besides Alan Moore, no writer gets more positive reviews and whatnot on this site.
I know. Everyone talks about his run as being one of the best on UXM. Snob.

Last edited:
Re:

MaxwellSmart said:
I know everyone talks about his run as being one of the best on UXM. Snob.

That I never understood because of him Ultimate X-Men became more 616. Very little alternative left in the book after he was done with it.

Re:

WolviesWife said:
That I never understood because of him Ultimate X-Men became more 616. Very little alternative left in the book after he was done with it.

False. Longshot and Sinister have different takes on the characters enough to seperate them from their 616 counterparts and maintain some of their true character. What did you want to see different happen?

Re:

TheManWithoutFear said:
False. Longshot and Sinister have different takes on the characters enough to seperate them from their 616 counterparts and maintain some of their true character. What did you want to see different happen?

Most of Vaugahn's works were "lifted" from other verses within X-Men and brought about alot of 616 pairings.

For instance:

The Tempest arc - While this was a nice conceptual, Vaughan borrowed heavily from the X-Men films by creating a relationship between Bobby & Rogue out of thin air. It had no basis but just simply a homage to the films. Sinister's assasination on the Xavier institute attempts to be edgy but Vaughan fails to write out his thoughts fully. This doesn't even make sense in a cliff notes version because other than Sinister being insane we never fully understand the motives behind his actions. The whole Apocalypse undertone wasn't sufficient. It was his first dip into bringing in 616 ideas to Ultimate X-Men and this is when I knew he would not bring anything new and edgy to this book.

The Cry Wolf Arc - Not only was this arc badly written it was poked fun of by Vaughan himself for the poorly executed idea. The whole "Rogue kidnapped by Gambit" storyline directly lifted from X-Men Evolution's "Cajun Spice". Yet this isn't the only time that Vaughan crutches on Evolution for story ideas. By far his biggest mistake and atrocity towards the UXM.

Deathstrike Arc - While he tried desperately to be edgy with making the connection between Yuriko and Ororo it was completely washed over by another heavily borrowed story from Evolution's "Stuff of Heroes". The panels are eerily the same as from the cartoon. Instead Vaughan traded Rogue with Storm.

Relationships were not only bad but they were repetitive of 616
Rogue/Remy
Storm/Wolvie

Hell I was expecting a Scott/Emma after this nonsense. If I wanted to read those pairings I could have picked up Uncanny. He has difficulty creating relationships this is evident in his X-Men writings as everything he's done was forced and contrived.

But this is all in my opinion. Yours will obviously differ from mine and that's fine too.

Last edited:
I give him credit for one of my favorite ultimatizations. Longshot. He's annoying as hell in the 616, but in the ultimate universe he's just bad ***.

As for Sinister, it's not that I dislike his character, but he's just an out there character. He's just a bit too crazy for my taste, but he's still totally salvagable. I'm just glad he didn't decide to fully ultimize Apocalypse. I hope which ever does ultimize does him justice.

Re:

MaxwellSmart said:
I know. Everyone talks about his run as being one of the best on UXM. Snob.

I never did, I thought his run was average

I was also quickly shot down.

I am a new fan of Wolvie's Wife.

Welcome to the fold if I haven't welcomed you already

Re:

Ultimate Houde said:
I never did, I thought his run was average

I was also quickly shot down.

I am a new fan of Wolvie's Wife.

Welcome to the fold if I haven't welcomed you already

Awww Thank you! Thank you!!!

*hugs*

Re:

Wolvie's Wife. I never saw X-Men: Evolutions. I'm willing to take a look through them and see how the similarities are. But I didn't think any of those arcs were poorly written or bad stories. I didn't like Deathstrike for a few reasons but that's about the only thing I didn't like about Vaughan's run.

The only thing that bothers me about your posts. You do have the right to your own opinion (despite everyone thinking that I think you shouldn't). But I think until you're expression of BKV's Ultimate X-Men run, most of the site has considered it to be a great ultimate run on UXM or in the Ultimate Universe in general.

And if his UXM run was even lackluster... what's that to say about his other material?

Re:

TheManWithoutFear said:
Wolvie's Wife. I never saw X-Men: Evolutions. I'm willing to take a look through them and see how the similarities are. But I didn't think any of those arcs were poorly written or bad stories. I didn't like Deathstrike for a few reasons but that's about the only thing I didn't like about Vaughan's run.

You might want to because I was stunned at how exactly the same plots were dealt with in each arc from that show. Which would make sense because Gregg Johnson (Evolution's Writer) had a fondness of Rogue in the show. The only thing Gregg did not do was place Rogue/Remy together because he was not fond of that pairing (I believe it's in Season 3 DVD Commentary he discusses this) and wanted the show to be "alternative" to the X-Men lore. Which is exactly what Ultimate was up until Vaughan came aboard.

TheManWithoutFear said:
The only thing that bothers me about your posts. You do have the right to your own opinion (despite everyone thinking that I think you shouldn't). But I think until you're expression of BKV's Ultimate X-Men run, most of the site has considered it to be a great ultimate run on UXM or in the Ultimate Universe in general.

This is purely my opinion and preception of his run.

You're right I should have been at least more detailed in my post in regards to BKV's dislike for criticism on his work.

TheManWithoutFear said:
And if his UXM run was even lackluster... what's that to say about his other material?

In my opinion, Vaughan's UXM run was lazy. There were almost no inventive ideas during his run. Nothing that sparked for me.

I personally liked his other material. Mystique is the one I loved the most but I have picked up Ex-Machina and was completely amazed at how well he soared with that comic. I haven't been picking up alot of his comics lately but I do want to catch up on Ex Machina and Y:the Last Man.

Last edited:
Re:

WolviesWife said:
This is purely my opinion and preception of his run.

You're right I should have been at least more detailed in my post in regards to BKV's dislike for criticism on his work.
It doesn't take much to have a discussion with me. I thought you made your point rather nicely. If not I would've come off as a far greater jerk. You being a member of Ultimate-X, should know that.

In my opinion, Vaughan's UXM run was lazy. There were almost no inventive ideas during his run. Nothing that sparked for me.
I dunno I was just turned on by so much of it. Because of it I went right for Y, Ex Machina.

I personally liked his other material. Mystique is the one I loved the most but I have picked up Ex-Machina and was completely amazed at how well he soared with that comic. I haven't been picking up alot of his comics lately but I do want to catch up on Ex Machina and Y:the Last Man.
Well as long as you don't hate him completely :twisted: But I'm curious... Why do you think he's "arrogant". You made some personal quips but seem to only dislike his run on UXM.

*Patiently waits for someone to start a PoB discussion thread*

Didn't anyone pick this up today!?!?!

Re:

TheManWithoutFear said:
*Patiently waits for someone to start a PoB discussion thread*

Didn't anyone pick this up today!?!?!

I'd actually be offended if you didn't start the thread. :wink:

I went to grab it today and the local shop here didn't order it. So I went to the bookstore to grab it and they said it wasn't being released until 19 October. :? I told them that it was a mistake and that it was out today. They figure that they won't get it in store until October.

I get back to IL tomorrow and PoB will be the first thing I search for.

After the 10 page preview on MySpace---I'm so hyped for this book. I cannot wait to find it and read it!

I was hoping to grab it today and read it on the flight home.....but Panama City FL lacks comic books something bad.

Latest posts

Back