Belgariad and Malloreon

Ultimate Houde

UC's Resident Genetic Recombinator
The Belgariad and Malloreon are two series, each consisting of five books. They tell the story of the Child of Light, as he transcends his mortal bounds, and ends up as the bearer of a future.

The story itself is pure fantasy, set in a world that was torn asunder by an evil God, the groups of heroes set to fix that God's mistake. Along the way they form an alliance with other heroes of the realms, and following one prophecy, they try to find salvation.

The story was good, even great at some points. The characters are all well defined, and the way they tend to avoid trouble instead of starting it was different and great.

The author is David Eddings, and I recommend these books for a quick and good read. They follow the path of a romantic fantasy perfectly, the endings are somewhat lacking, not the climax, just the happily ever after part, everyone tends to find love and happiness in them.

Eddings does an awesome job in describing the lands these people travel through, and describing the people in them.

the endings are somewhat lacking, not the climax, just the happily ever after part, everyone tends to find love and happiness in them.

See I was fine with that due to the in-book explanation. I was pretty impressed by the use of the side characters in the later series. Overall I think I enjoyed the ancillary books (Belgarath and Polgara) a bit more.

And I found The Redemption of Althalus (Same author, different series) to be a bit more enjoyable, but a little too predictable.

Oh, and you can get the whole series in 4 volumes now.

I haven't read the ancillary ones yet, but from what I am told, those are the better ones.

But you liked the Silk - Velvet relationship? I hated that one, it annoyed me to no end.

Latest posts

Back