Bendis talks Ultimate at Newarama

Fredrik Martinsson

Formerly known as Ultimate Warrior
Bendis talks Ultimate at Newsarama

Newsarama has posted a rundown of Brian Michael Bendis Q&A from 2006 Pittsburgh Comicon and there was alot of Ultimate questions in the air:

Here is a rundown on some of the more interesting stuff:
Q: Will there ever be a '616' Marvel Universe and Ultimate Universe crossover?

BMB: We don't look at the Ultimate Universe and the '616' Universe, as us Internet nerds call it, as two different universes. They're just different interpretations of Spider-Man stories with their own histories. But we think about it all the time. We talk about, 'Would we do that?' Because sometimes when everyone says, 'Don't do that!' they mean they do want us to do it. They just don't want us to do it badly. But we talk about it. Would we do that? Not really. Nothing's broke and nothing needs to be fixed. Everyone's cool. There's not really some great story that needs to be told that would meld these two universes that at the end of it wouldn't be just a disaster. Even when MJ and Peter got married, that was a cool story. But now he's married, now what do you do? You have to think about that, too. What's next?

When we plan this stuff like House of M, the conversation isn't so much about that story. A lot of it is, 'Why are we telling this story and what kind of cool stories do we get to tell afterward?' And that's happening with Civil War. What's happening after Civil War is just as cool as what's going to happen during Civil War. We always think, as long as we get to tell new kinds of stories and take new chances, that's why we do something like that. As far as melding the two universes, can you think of any situation that wouldn't be such a disaster or a mess afterward? During would be pretty cool—Ultimate Cap meets Cap. And then what? Then we're all stuck with the big mess we made.

Q: Will the continuity of the Ultimates and the rest of the Ultimate Universe ever catch up?

BMB: Absolutely it will. The trouble is, and this isn't a diss to Bryan Hitch at all, we don't know when those books are going to ship. So the fear is, and I know how much effort went in to that story, that we would put something out a week or two weeks ahead that completely screws up the spoilers for their story. I'd rather let them finish their story, however long it takes, and then respond to it. Because I do have things I want Peter to respond to and deal with. It's such a slippery slope. We've all waited a long time to see the end of this story; I just don't want to be the guy who screwed it up, even by a week. Because I've been the victim of accidental spoilers. There was an Avengers handbook that came out that ruined Ronin, and it was a complete accident. They were off by a week. I was so close, I had everybody and then of course … so I don't to accidentally do that.

Q: What is Ultimate Invasion?

BMB: There is no Ultimate Invasion. That is an Internet rumor. There is a project that I'm working on with Marc Silvestri that is untitled. Somehow it's been connected to this Invasion project. That's not what it is. It's a little too early to talk about the Silvestri thing. But Silvestri went and blabbed, so I can say I'm working with Silvestri. But it's a while away. It's a slow burner.

Click the link to read more.

Last edited:
Warrior, you're a lot better now at formatting these like news items. Very good, and good find. Thanks for posting.

I could have sworn that Ultimate Invasion by Bendis was confirmed at a con, and the rumor part was that it was what Silvestri was working on...

thee great one said:
So there is no Ultimate Invasion. I thought it was offical.

That's what I'm saying. I think it was. Not officially with Marc Silvestri, but officially in the works and written by Bendis.

E said:
That's what I'm saying. I think it was. Not officially with Marc Silvestri, but officially in the works and written by Bendis.

Bendis has so much work now, he just writes down words and hopes it forms a story. He doesn't know what the story is about, he relies on his artist to put his words into a semi-coherent story.

This is why Ultimate Spider-Man is blah right now.

:lol: That's great.

I think it's cool that there will be another mini-series written by Bendis... And especially drawn by my man Silvestri.

Bendis is stupid. It was confirmed he was working on a mini titled "Ultimate Invasion". :roll:

Q: Is Ultimate Peter Parker ever going to age?

BMB: We're using what we call the Simpsons time frame. He'll graduate from high school when Bart moves up a grade. Actually, I think he'll be turning 16 around the 100th issue. I figure every hundred issues, we'll get to 400 by the time he turns 20. But I think about 10 months have passed since Uncle Ben died—just a really sh*tty 10 months.

Woohoo, for continuity!

Last edited:
E said:
I could have sworn that Ultimate Invasion by Bendis was confirmed at a con, and the rumor part was that it was what Silvestri was working on...
It was not confirmed with any artist, but yeah, it was definetly announced.
thee great one said:

So there is no Ultimate Invasion. I thought it was offical.
If you believe that, you need to be hit. He' ****ing about there not being one. He's just trying to dodge about it being with Marc Silvestri. There'll be an Ultimate Invasion. Whenever that happens, who knows.

Last edited:
Joe Quesada's response to Bendis "there is no Ultimate Invasion" answer @ Joe Fridays:

NRAMA: All right, moving on to other subjects, at the I>Pittsburgh Comic-Con, in response to a question, Brian Bendis said there is no such thing as Ultimate Invasion". Thing is, though, you guys announced in WizardWorld: Chicago last summer that in fact, there was, with a super-star-artist-to-be-announced attached.

JQ: Let's be clear, Brian was the first to announceUltimate Invasion [laughs]…

NRAMA: But ten you, in fact, called it - and we quote - a "big climactic battle at the end of 2006." We've also asked you about it several times in these weekly Q&A's since then, and your response has been it's too early to talk about, not that there was no such thing.

Sorry to put you on the spot, but what's the deal?

JQ: Isn't that whatJoe Fridays is all about, me being put on the spot? Ask away, I'll do the best that I can.

NRAMA: Has a one-time project in development changed or been cancelled? How did a project that was announced officially at a convention panel become a "rumor" since last summer?

JQ: Sometimes things leak early like Ultimate Invasion. And lets go back to what you just pointed out. What have I said n the past when asked about the project? It's too early to discuss. Why do I say stuff like that? Because it's too early and things can always change as they have in this case. I understand that the wonderful folk that read this Q&A want answers and want them now, but sometimes if I go too far out on the limb too early I'll be misrepresenting what we have in mind.

That said, there still is a huge Ultimate project that Brian is working on with a superstar artist for year's end, it's just not called "Ultimate Invasion".

Last edited:
So now Bendis is working on TWO ultimate projects by the years end?

Soon, Bendis will be the ONLY writer Marvel has. :?

Ice said:
So now Bendis is working on TWO ultimate projects by the years end?

Soon, Bendis will be the ONLY writer Marvel has. :?

And the worst. :(

TheManWithoutFear said:
I thought the article pretty much states that Ultimate Invasion shouldn't be counted on. So I'm thinking Bendis is writing one project.
Eh?

Listen, Bendis is writing the first three issues of Ultimate Power. That takes up October, November and December. There's another mini (as it sounds) that Bendis will do with someone else, that also takes up this years end. Unless the mini they're talking about is Ultimate Power (Which I doubt), that means TWO minis being worked on by Bendis by the last months of the year.

I didn't even mention Ultimate Invasion anyways, nor was reffering to it in any format.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I thought the article pretty much states that Ultimate Invasion shouldn't be counted on. So I'm thinking Bendis is writing one project.

Don't forget Ultimate Power as well.

EDIT: Goddamn UC acting up... Ice, come back on MSN.

Last edited:
Ice said:
Eh?

Listen, Bendis is writing the first three issues of Ultimate Power. That takes up October, November and December. There's another mini (as it sounds) that Bendis will do with someone else, that also takes up this years end. Unless the mini they're talking about is Ultimate Power (Which I doubt), that means TWO minis being worked on by Bendis by the last months of the year.

I didn't even mention Ultimate Invasion anyways, nor was reffering to it in any format.

oh, all right.

Latest posts

Back