Berserk (Manga by Kentaro Miura)

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
So I usually hate manga. I dislike the style, and the either over-the-top, melodramatic moodiness of them, or the completely superficial nonsense on the other end of the spectrum.

However, I've been a fan of the epic manga series Berserk by Kentaro Miura since I first watched the anime (which is extremely faithful to the manga). After buying and watching all 6 DVDs of Berserk, I began to search out the manga. Luckily, in 2003, Dark Horse Comics began translating and releasing the Berserk manga here in the US.

Its pure awesomeness. From its gritty, hard-hitting violence; its incredibly detailed and eye-catching artwork (very different than most mangas...much more Western-influenced); and its impressively deep, ultra-violent but emotional, and interesting storyline, this book delivers on all levels.

So far, 16 volumes have been released in the US: they're released bi-monthly, as in Japan 32 volumes have been released already on the rate of about two per year...in a couple years the bimonthly release rate here in the US will slow to bi-annually once our translated volumes catch up to those released in Japan. I find myself unable to stop reading once started, even in between volumes. The series is addictive, no other word works.

The storyline follows Guts, a young mercenary who's had an extremely hard life. He joins with a mercenary group led by Griffith, an extremely ambitious and intelligent warrior, who soon turns his status as a mercenary into that of a General, due in large part to Guts' incredible fighting skills on the battlefield...well, that and his humongous sword. Unforunately, Griffith's ambition eventually leads him to turn on his friends, and Guts gets caught in the middle. Losing an eye and an arm, Guts and his companions barely survive, while Griffith becomes a God. The series continues to follow Guts as he seeks vengeance on Griffith, now known as the Demon God Femto.

The series examines the struggle between destiny and free will (and it is a struggle for sure in this story), and the validity of sacrifice. Its characters are multi-layered and definitive archetypes, but still believable in their motivations and not "overdone". The emotional roller-coaster that this series is is what truly makes it unique amongst other manga, at least in my opinion.

I definitly recommend you check it out if you haven't already. Most Barnes & Noble or Borders bookstores carry them, or can order them for you.

I've heard of this but have yet to check it out, maybe I'll do that now.

I very much recommend it. Its pure awesomeness, all around. I'd recommend downloading the anime (shouldn't be hard to find) and checking that out first. Its very faithful to the manga, and is probably the best way to be introduced to the universe. It only adapts the first 13-14 volumes or so of the manga, and ends on a cliffhanger, so if it interests you I'd recommend checking out the manga as well, which is already up to 32 volumes in Japan (and 16 translated volumes here in the US...Dark Horse releases a new one every couple months).

Picked up the most recent volume (#16) last week. Good stuff, as usual.

Miura really is a master of telling the majority of the story through his artwork. Incredibly detailed as is, he makes the extra effort by decompressing battle-scenes so that you can almost feel every single sword stroke. This is pure awesomeness.

Right. I don't like a mindless, plotless bloodbath with unnecessary rape scenes, so I must be a pokeman fan.

You sure got me.

Whatever, Mr. Defensive. I was joking, you're being harshly sarcastic.

Firstly, thats a totally unfair critique. Plotless? Unnecessary rape scenes? You're full of it, McCheese. It has far more of a plot (and more interesting in my opinion) than most manga. Most of manga is tripe, at best pulp. The artwork in the book in my opinion also far outdoes most other mangas. The book is bloody, no doubt. And there's definitly a phallic undertone to the huge sword Guts uses to mow through crowds. But the action scenes are done so beautifully, sometimes taking up to 40-60 pages, the fight extremely brutal but beautifully drawn. During the fight scenes there isn't much dialogue, of course, so you're able to fully enjoy the artwork and follow the fight without it being a chore. Far more so than in ANY other comic book or graphic novel I've ever read. Of course, there's plenty of dialogue in the scenes which call for it. And then there are the questions of free will, fate, revenge, love. Its a great combination of medieval fantasy/horror/western.

How much of the series have you actually read?

What manga do you read, may I ask?

Ultimate Houde said:
I agree with McCheese

Sorry DiB

**** you guys.

;)

just kidding.

You're entitled to your opinion. I just think the specific critique McCheese listed was lame and unfair. Its a lot of fun in my opinion. Not your thing, thats cool. But how about using intelligent remarks to back up your opinion? I'd seriously love to know how in his opinion it lacks plot, especially in comparison to other manga.

Whatever, Mr. Defensive. I was joking, you're being harshly sarcastic.
It's what I do. That and hunt Skrulls.
Firstly, thats a totally unfair critique. Plotless? Unnecessary rape scenes? You're full of it, McCheese. It has far more of a plot (and more interesting in my opinion) than most manga. Most of manga is tripe, at best pulp. The artwork in the book in my opinion also far outdoes most other mangas. The book is bloody, no doubt. And there's definitly a phallic undertone to the huge sword Guts uses to mow through crowds. But the action scenes are done so beautifully, sometimes taking up to 40-60 pages, the fight extremely brutal but beautifully drawn. During the fight scenes there isn't much dialogue, of course, so you're able to fully enjoy the artwork and follow the fight without it being a chore. Far more so than in ANY other comic book or graphic novel I've ever read. Of course, there's plenty of dialogue in the scenes which call for it. And then there are the questions of free will, fate, revenge, love. Its a great combination of medieval fantasy/horror/western.
Plotless was a low blow, I'll grant you that. But I stand by the rest of my critique. And the plot that was there never managed to grab my attention. Just not my cup of tea I suppose.
How much of the series have you actually read?
My experience is mostly the anime (the blooper reel was funny), but I have read some of the manga.
What manga do you read, may I ask?
A whole lot of stuff. Currently Naruto, Bleach (although it sucks right now, for details head to the All About Manga Forum), One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, High School of the Dead (purely out of boredom, I do not recommend this) and I just started Ares, Fairy Tail (One Piece but with wizards - meh), and The Meloncoly of Haruhi Suzumiya.
**** you guys.

;)

just kidding.

You're entitled to your opinion. I just think the specific critique McCheese listed was lame and unfair. Its a lot of fun in my opinion. Not your thing, thats cool. But how about using intelligent remarks to back up your opinion? I'd seriously love to know how in his opinion it lacks plot, especially in comparison to other manga.
Like I said, plotless was a low blow. But in my opinion, it doesn't have great character development and it relies too heavily on the gore, nudity, etc. It just never drew me in as a reader and made me care about the characters. It always seemed like they were just waiting for the next fight scene. I have the same complaint about Ares and I'm this close to dropping that too.

It's what I do. That and hunt Skrulls.
Plotless was a low blow, I'll grant you that. But I stand by the rest of my critique. And the plot that was there never managed to grab my attention. Just not my cup of tea I suppose.
My experience is mostly the anime (the blooper reel was funny), but I have read some of the manga.

A whole lot of stuff. Currently Naruto, Bleach (although it sucks right now, for details head to the All About Manga Forum), One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, High School of the Dead (purely out of boredom, I do not recommend this) and I just started Ares, Fairy Tail (One Piece but with wizards - meh), and The Meloncoly of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Like I said, plotless was a low blow. But in my opinion, it doesn't have great character development and it relies too heavily on the gore, nudity, etc. It just never drew me in as a reader and made me care about the characters. It always seemed like they were just waiting for the next fight scene. I have the same complaint about Ares and I'm this close to dropping that too.

Fair enough. I do agree about the nudity, but the gore and violence I love. I guess thats just my cup of tea.

Anyway, no harm done.

Latest posts

Back