Best and Worst villains in a comic book movie?

He was in every right equal to Leadger

No. Just... no.

Jack-Joker was fun, but for once in my life I actually agree with Mole. It was Jack Nicholson pretending to be a crazy clown-faced killer. I'm not saying he was bad, I enjoyed Batman, but you can see Nicholson running about in makeup, whereas Ledger BECAME the Joker. It wasn't "Ooh look its Heath being the Joker" That WAS the ****ing Joker. Jack was fun. Ledger was amazing.

Jack Nicholson played a cartoon character. Because Tim Burton directed a live-action cartoon of Batman. That's not to say it wasn't a good movie, or that Jack Nicholson didn't do a good job with it. It was a highly stylized movie that had a whole lot of style, but like most Burton movies, the movie was more about the style than it was about characterization or plot. Jack did the best he could with the character, and the result was good. But his Joker wasn't anywhere close to being as powerful as Ledger's Joker. It's not a knock to Nicholson. It's just that Ledger had a much more robust script to work with.

But saying Jack was just playing Jack-in-makeup is ridiculous. Sure, Nicholson's a little nuts, but he's not the Joker in real life. And he's certainly got a range of depth as an actor. That's like saying Robert Deniro is a bad actor because he always gets typecast as gangsters. I mean, look at Jack's roles in Easy Rider or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest or, hell, Jack Gittes. His Joker was even distinct from his "crazy" roles. Joker was even distinctly different from Jack Torrance, his archetypical bat**** role.

Last edited:
Jack Nicholson played a cartoon character. Because Tim Burton directed a live-action cartoon of Batman. That's not to say it wasn't a good movie, or that Jack Nicholson didn't do a good job with it. It was a highly stylized movie that had a whole lot of style, but like most Burton movies, the movie was more about the style than it was about characterization or plot. Jack did the best he could with the character, and the result was good. But his Joker wasn't anywhere close to being as powerful as Ledger's Joker. It's not a knock to Nicholson. It's just that Ledger had a much more robust script to work with.

But saying Jack was just playing Jack-in-makeup is ridiculous. Sure, Nicholson's a little nuts, but he's not the Joker in real life. And he's certainly got a range of depth as an actor. That's like saying Robert Deniro is a bad actor because he always gets typecast as gangsters. I mean, look at Jack's roles in Easy Rider or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest or, hell, Jack Gittes. His Joker was even distinct from his "crazy" roles. Joker was even distinctly different from Jack Torrance, his archetypical bat**** role.

The man speaks the truth

Worst:

5- Dr Doom (Fantastic Four)
4- Ninjas (Elektra)
3- Skin Creme (Catwoman)
2- Juggernaut (X3)
1- Mistah Freeze! (Batman & Robin)
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Mistah Freeze was not the worst villain ever. In fact, he was a great villain, with barely any resemblance to his comic book counterpart, in a terrible movie.

Were I to not excuse Mister Freeze on the basis of comic book faithfulness, I'd have to scratch Danny DeVito's Penguin, who is also unlike any other Penguin we'd ever seen up to that point.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Mistah Freeze was not the worst villain ever. In fact, he was a great villain, with barely any resemblance to his comic book counterpart, in a terrible movie.

Were I to not excuse Mister Freeze on the basis of comic book faithfulness, I'd have to scratch Danny DeVito's Penguin, who is also unlike any other Penguin we'd ever seen up to that point.

Considering BTAS Mr. freeze yes he was. Mistah Freeze turned Batman into a joke and detrailed the Batman franchise for 8 years, that's not the mark of a good villain. We will never Freeze in a batman movie again because of Arnold, how is that a good villain? What did his character do besides make bad ice puns, he didn't have a fraction of the pathos BTAS Freeze had.

I didn't like movie Penguin for the same reason, too different from the comic and too weird for weird sake. Because that gross Penguin, the soccer mos were able to convince WB to change the Batman franchise and we ended up with batman and Robin.

They aren't the worst movie villains though. Movie Lex and movie Doom deserve those dishonors, for beings vastly inferior to comic book counterparts.

When looking at Nicholson's Joker, you have to consider a lot of things.

There have been far worse villains in comic book movies, but the reason why Jack's Joker is so terrible is because he's just so disappointing. The reason why people say that his Joker is just him in makeup is not to suggest that Jack Nicholson is really an insane gangster but to point out that The Joker's flamboyant personality and general attitude in the movie are pretty much just Jack Nicholson's flamboyant personality and general attitude. Which is totally true.

I just don't think he ever bothered to take the role seriously, and it shows. I wouldn't necessarily blame him for that. It was probably more Burton's fault. He's publicly expressed how little respect he actually has for comics and would never have thought to attempt something like Ledger's Joker. With someone like Burton directing, it's no wonder that Nicholson played The Joker the way he did.

But it's just the disappointment factor that I think gets people. Where was all that scariness and intensity from The Shining? It's like if they cast Anthony Hopkins as a major comic book villain and instead of doing a Hannibal Lecter, he looked at the whole thing like a joke and turned in a predictable, campy performance.

The soccer mom is an important demographic and don't you forget about it.

Also, there is a massive amount of truthiness to the assertion that Victor Von Doom was just Julian McMahon in a mask.

The Soccer Mom should be the next Spider-Man movie villain.

it would be better then venom!!11lolz

The soccer mom is an important demographic and don't you forget about it.

Also, there is a massive amount of truthiness to the assertion that Victor Von Doom was just Julian McMahon in a mask.

Soccer moms ruin everything, never forget that. :wink:

Soccer moms ruin everything, never forget that. :wink:
Truly the greatest villain of all.

That's how they could work her into Spider-Man 4.

IN ORDER FOR PETER PARKER TO CONTINUE BEING SPIDER-MAN

HE MUST TEST POSITIVELY IN FRONT OF THIS FOCUS GROUP OF MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN

"My god."​

Last edited:
Truly the greatest villain of all.

That's how they could work her into Spider-Man 4.

IN ORDER FOR PETER PARKER TO CONTINUE BEING SPIDER-MAN

HE MUST TEST POSITIVELY IN FRONT OF THIS FOCUS GROUP OF MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN

"My god."​
"I think Richard Gere should play Spider-Man. Such a nice man."

But saying Jack was just playing Jack-in-makeup is ridiculous. Sure, Nicholson's a little nuts, but he's not the Joker in real life.

That's not what I was saying. It's a little hard to explain, when I watch Batman, I see Jack Nicholson playing The Joker. When I watch TDK, I see The Joker. Heath Ledger isn't there. It's as if Nicholson's presence overtakes the character he is playing.

To give another example, a lot of people complain about Will Smith just being Will Smith doing something different in every film he is in. Hancock - "Look, it's Will Smith the Superhero", Men in Black - "Look, it's Will Smith the alien hunting government agent" etc etc.

I'm not saying Jack Nicholson is to that extreme, but in Batman I do feel Nicholsons' personality overtakes the role he is playing, whereas Ledger buried himself underneath the character to the point he disappeared and there was only The Joker left.

Cesar Romero was the best Joker.

That's not what I was saying. It's a little hard to explain, when I watch Batman, I see Jack Nicholson playing The Joker. When I watch TDK, I see The Joker. Heath Ledger isn't there. It's as if Nicholson's presence overtakes the character he is playing.

To give another example, a lot of people complain about Will Smith just being Will Smith doing something different in every film he is in. Hancock - "Look, it's Will Smith the Superhero", Men in Black - "Look, it's Will Smith the alien hunting government agent" etc etc.

I'm not saying Jack Nicholson is to that extreme, but in Batman I do feel Nicholsons' personality overtakes the role he is playing, whereas Ledger buried himself underneath the character to the point he disappeared and there was only The Joker left.
I think that may be due to his voice is so recognizable

Last edited:
Am i the only one of thinks it sad that movie Obadiah Stane is more impressive than movie Lex Luthor?

Latest posts

Back