Books versus Comics

I get what Bass is saying.

At least I'd like to think I do.

I could be wrong, after all.

Also, I find it ridiculous that an entire medium is reduced to a single age/maturity demographic while it's absolutely ridiculous to suggest the same of other mediums.

For example, the 'potential' of comics is for kids, adolescents or people with arrested emotional development, but TV is for everybody! I mean, come on.

That's like saying classical music is only for senior citizens! Well, okay, poor example, but you know what I mean.

I try as much as possible to refer to comic books as 'comic books'. Not graphic novels or sequential art or the ninth art or fumetti or whatever, but 'comic books'

I understand that most of those terms are probably more accurate from a semantic and syntactic perspective, but I think that it acts as an idiot screen.

I'm serious. If anybody presumes to condescend to the word 'comic book' then I'm not sure if I can trust their intellectual integrity.

****, I just replied to a thread I thought I had never seen before.

Clearly, I am getting old.

:shock:

You people don't know me at all.

I started this thread because this is why I don't like calling comics "books", as it reinforces the nonsense that a book is a higher form of art than the comic.

Well to be fair it kind of is mainstream wise. By this I mean people think the following

Comic book reader = 5-13 year old or a geek

Book readers = Interesting and smart.

Now take a non-superhero comic book. You say the following sentence "I read a book the other about *insert plot*" and "I read a comic the other about *insert plot*" When you use the first one you'll get people nodding and saying stuff like "wow that sounds really interesting I might have to read that" you say the second one and before you even get to the plot the people have formed an opinion and will either wait till your finished or interrupt you, Either way the response will be "I don't like comics"

It's a stupid way of thinking but that is how people think.

Latest posts

Back