Brandon Peterson to pencil next Ultimate Mini.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
[IMGL]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j58/smckbmb/bpete.jpg[/IMGL] As posted on Newsarama.com, Brandon Peterson sits down and reveals that his next project will be in the Ultimate Universe and that it will be a mini series. Not revealed was which mini series it will be due to the announcement has not been made, though Marvel is looking for a November launch.

"So, I got that all started, I did commission lists, and started on the next project, even though it hasn't been announced yet, even though I know they're looking at a November launch. It's an Ultimate miniseries, and if you liked Ultimate Extinction, it's right in that same vein – almost a counterpart to what happened in that storyline. I've done some work on it already, and I can tell you that it's going to be written by Mike Carey, and I've got the first three plots already. So – and I'm saying this on the record, if it's late, it's my fault.

NRAMA: Are you going to be using the same style, art-wise on this new miniseries that you used on Ultimate Extinction? Speaking of that style first – that was almost reminiscent of ziaptone in its look…

BP: Right. I ended up using a lot of computer graphics in that miniseries. I used 3D graphics, as well as a lot of Photoshop. I like some of the certain grayscale things that I was able to do, but that only works well in black and white, and it hard to translate that into something that can be colored over. You can't keep it gray, because if you do, and color over it, nine times out of ten, it will turn muddy, and the colors won't be bright at all. So you have to be careful in how you approach it.

So I looked at doing things with, as you said, in a zipatone approach, kind of screen dots that you see in manga and European work. The problem with that is that sometimes it can interfere with the color dots, and you can get weird patterns, and it won't look the best.

What I decided was to try something with lines, sort of like the old duo-shade boards with the diagonal lines and contour lines. I did that in Photoshop as well, with the help of some custom filters, but it was so time-consuming. It was stupid time consuming. It literally doubled my time spent on the pages, but I was happy to try it. I think it was a success somewhat, but didn't work as well as it could have. In some places, it flattened the artwork, and sometimes it made things too dark. But by the time I realized what it was doing to the art, I was halfway through Ultimate Extinction, and I didn't want to change courses.

On this next thing, I'm taking a new approach that I'm really happy with, where I can take all the good that I like, and leave the bad. I'm actually much faster this way, which makes Marvel happy too – and let's be honest, Marvel likes to get as much work out of me as they can, and I like to give it to them, without working myself to a nub.
"

To read the rest of the article, click on the link above.

Hmm.

I want to say the Ultimate Vision Mini, since that's by Carey. But that mini's already been announced.

Still, looking foward to this.

Did we ever get a firm artist announcement for that though? It might technically BE the next Ultimate Universe miniseries. Other thoughts... Invasion doesn't have Carey as a writer... weren't they going to do an Ultimate Daredevil mini to round out the trilogy (Ultimate Elektra, Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra, Ultimate Daredevil)? Then again, I don't see how that'd be similar to Ultimate Extinction... maybe some sort of bridging story between U3 and U4 or (God forbid) a series that works like the Gah Lak Tus trilogy and bridges U2 and U3?

Loved his art on Extinction and Tempest (UXM). Great news.

E said:

Same here; I enjoyed his art on The Tempest better than his Extinction art.

I'm pretty positive that this is the Ultimate Vision mini. There's really nothing else it could be that would make sense with Carey's schedule.

I'm guessing it will be the Ultimate Vision mini.

ultimatedjf said:
I'm pretty positive that this is the Ultimate Vision mini. There's really nothing else it could be that would make sense with Carey's schedule.
Bendis is writing that mini.

EDIT:

And Ultimate Invasion is something totally different. As Peterson said, this mini will be righ up the "same vain" as Ultimate Extinction. Ultimate Invasion is a whole different story. Literally.

Last edited:
E said:

I love Tempest and am looking forward to the Ultimate Extinction tpb. I can't wait to hear the announcement.

The only thing I hated was the covers to Extinction. Everything else was great.

It will be Vision. They announced Invasion and the 5th ongoing then turned around and said it wasn;t annouced.

There are probaly doing the same with this.

If it's not a "Vision" mini, it will center around the Vision character. That's what I think. I also think a lot of it will spin out of the UFF pages. To be honest as much as I think the whole thing's "all right", I'm not too excited about it anymore. I thought the subtle cosmic stories involving Gah Lak Tus and UFF (contained in the UFF pages) was all right but now we're dealing with another mini of all of it? I'd rather see Namor coming back then something this soon involving Gah Lak Tus or other worldly.

TheManWithoutFear said:
If it's not a "Vision" mini, it will center around the Vision character. That's what I think. I also think a lot of it will spin out of the UFF pages. To be honest as much as I think the whole thing's "all right", I'm not too excited about it anymore. I thought the subtle cosmic stories involving Gah Lak Tus and UFF (contained in the UFF pages) was all right but now we're dealing with another mini of all of it? I'd rather see Namor coming back then something this soon involving Gah Lak Tus or other worldly.

....wha?

TheManWithoutFear said:

I agree with you. Does anyone know when the the vision comics will be collected in a paperback.

Prof. Toad said:
I agree with you. Does anyone know when the the vision comics will be collected in a paperback.

You mean the 6-part mini story that appeared in the other Ultimate books? They have said they aren't going to be collected, but I wouldn't be surprised if they turned up in an Ultimate Galactus hardcover, if not the Ultimate Extinction TPB.

Ice said:
Bendis is writing that mini.

EDIT:

And Ultimate Invasion is something totally different. As Peterson said, this mini will be righ up the "same vain" as Ultimate Extinction. Ultimate Invasion is a whole different story. Literally.

Bendis is writing what mini?

Marvel's making my head explode.

Ultimate Houde said:
I thought Invasion wasn't real

It was officially announced, then Bendis said there was no such thing being planned.

The prevailing opinion (around here anyway) seemed to be that he was doing an extremely poor cover up and it will still exist, even if it's not actually named "Invasion".

Latest posts

Back