Breakaway Suggestions?

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
Ok...so I just recently got back into comics. I will admit that I am a Marvel fanboy. Not because I think DC is stupid or anything...I just tend to not like their art plus I find a lot of their characters lack depth and are just cookcut images of heros and villains.

So far my comic interests are all from Marvel's Ultimate Universe (since I don't feel like retracing a decade+ of missed continuity). The only thing I read outside UU is Runaways......but I admit that I haven't caught up to the rest of the series. Last I read was the conclusion of the Victor/Ultron arc.

But with a few new releases next year outside of the UU....I'm looking to broaden my horizons and add to my pull list. Mainly newer titles devoid of long continuity.....stuff that's on issue#20 (or less....but not discriminating against some older titles...). I know I'll have to catch up.....but I don't wanna break the bank doing it. And I'm not Marvel biased. If you know of any DC, Image, etc. titles I should be looking into....please let me know.




Any thoughts????????? :D
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
43,800
Location
The World of Icelandia.
Punisher MAX. I can't recommend it enough. You don't need to know his past stories to read this. It's on #24, I believe, but you can easily catch up in the easy to find TPB's. Seriously, this series is great. Also can't stop quoting Bass about this series, because it's so freaking true.


Bass said:
Punisher Max is one of those series that isn't "ground-breaking" or "earth-shattering", but it's constantly good with every issue.
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
Well, if you want to get caught up on DC, you should do what I'm doing. I'm going to start when Crisis is over and OYL begins.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
Supreme Power, soon to be relaunched as Squadron Supreme. Supreme Power ran 18 issues, neatly collected in 3 TPBs. 2 followups are going right now - Supreme Power: Hyperion and Supreme Power: Nighthawk. The Squadron Supreme relaunch is either Feb. or March.

It takes place in it's own universe, so there's no crossovers or anything like that.
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
UltimateE said:
Supreme Power, soon to be relaunched as Squadron Supreme. Supreme Power ran 18 issues, neatly collected in 3 TPBs. 2 followups are going right now - Supreme Power: Hyperion and Supreme Power: Nighthawk. The Squadron Supreme relaunch is either Feb. or March.

It takes place in it's own universe, so there's no crossovers or anything like that.

I still need to get the last trade. I'm not going to bother with Doctor Spectrum, Hyperion or Nighthawk though.
 

Fuzzy Birds

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
1,343
Location
Ze Nedderlandz
Victor Von Doom said:
Ok...so I just recently got back into comics. I will admit that I am a Marvel fanboy. Not because I think DC is stupid or anything...I just tend to not like their art plus I find a lot of their characters lack depth and are just cookcut images of heros and villains.

So far my comic interests are all from Marvel's Ultimate Universe (since I don't feel like retracing a decade+ of missed continuity). The only thing I read outside UU is Runaways......but I admit that I haven't caught up to the rest of the series. Last I read was the conclusion of the Victor/Ultron arc.

But with a few new releases next year outside of the UU....I'm looking to broaden my horizons and add to my pull list. Mainly newer titles devoid of long continuity.....stuff that's on issue#20 (or less....but not discriminating against some older titles...). I know I'll have to catch up.....but I don't wanna break the bank doing it. And I'm not Marvel biased. If you know of any DC, Image, etc. titles I should be looking into....please let me know.




Any thoughts????????? :D


I had almost the exact same situation earlier this year, eventually increasing my pull list from around 7 ongoing titles (all Ultimate books, Exiles, Supreme Power and Runaways) to about 22 a month. Anyway, here are the titles I added, if it's any help:

Book Of Lost Souls: the premise interested me greatly, I love Straczynski, and it's set in it's own universe.

Cable and Deadpool: Not the best book out there, but I'm a fan of Deadpool (although I think his run under Joe Kelly was much better than Niciezas)

Ex Machina: Love Vaughan, love Harris, love the idea. Not perfect, but it's one of my favourite reads around.

Fables: To be honest, I can't believe I missed this one at the start. This should be required reading.

Invincible: A hell of a lot more fun than most superhero stuff out there.

New Avengers: the big stupid Michael Bay comic. Because everyone needs a brainless blockbuster now and then.

X Factor: spinning right out of the Madroc mini, this is one of my favourite comics of the year, and it's only on issue 1.

Young Avengers: given it's central premise, this really shouldn't work. But it does. Not quite as good as Runaways, but still worth a look.

Y: The Last Man: more Vaughan can't be bad, and this features great characters and an interesting story.
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
Y The Last Man
Ex Machina
Invincible
The Walking Dead
All-Star Superman
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
icemastertron said:
I looked through the lastest issue of Y that came out, and I'd say I like it. I can't wait to pick up the trades.

That was the one where his sister and that girl met?
 

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
Ok...so far out of all the suggestions (from here and a couple of guys at the comic shop) I think I'll definitely check out:

Marvel:
Gravity
Punisher MAX (Is this the series based/following "Welcome Back, Frank"? )
Young Avengers

DC:
Flash
Wonder Woman (still iffy on that one...)

Image:
Invincible



Any other titles????
 

Friday

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Messages
8,903
Location
Washington, PA
Victor Von Doom said:
Ok...so far out of all the suggestions (from here and a couple of guys at the comic shop) I think I'll definitely check out:

Marvel:
Gravity
Punisher MAX (Is this the series based/following "Welcome Back, Frank"? )
Young Avengers

DC:
Flash
Wonder Woman (still iffy on that one...)

Image:
Invincible



Any other titles????
The Walking Dead - Excellent character driven drama takinga realistic look at survival in a post apocalyptic zombie wasteland. The writing is top notch by Kirkman (Invincible, Marvel Team-Up) and is presented in stark blak and whites. I honestly wouldn't want to read this book in color. They've been excellent about keeping the collections in print as well. V1-4 are out, wich collect issues 1-24. Theres also a massive (And expensive) hardcover of the run so far. Iddue 25 should be out in the next few weeks, and promises to be a good point to jump on.

Desolation Jones - An ongoing from Wildstorm by Warren Ellis, this series follows an brittish ex-secret agent tuned private investigator sentenced to live out the rest of his days in the "open prison" that is Los Angeles, where "modified" field agents are kept away from the majority of the public. It's bi-monthly and has absolutly beautiful art by J. H. Williams III. The first story arc has yet to conclued and is based in part on the noir stories of Raymond Chandler.

And Punisher MAX starts with In The Beginning, but theres also an oversized hardcover wich you can find online for about $20 that collects both IN the Begining and Kitchen Irish (the second arc). There will be a V2 Hardcover in 3 months that will bring the series up to issue 24, with issue 25 either having recently shipped or shipping out soon.

I'm not sure on the reccomendations of Wonder Woman and The Flash since both are cancled as of OYL with no deffinate relaunch plans for The Flash. I'd suggest Firestorm if you're looking for a good, ground floor DC book.
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
43,800
Location
The World of Icelandia.
UltimateE said:
Supreme Power, soon to be relaunched as Squadron Supreme. Supreme Power ran 18 issues, neatly collected in 3 TPBs. 2 followups are going right now - Supreme Power: Hyperion and Supreme Power: Nighthawk. The Squadron Supreme relaunch is either Feb. or March.

It takes place in it's own universe, so there's no crossovers or anything like that.
There's a 4 page preview of the issue in Marvel's preview book for March.
 
Last edited:

moonmaster

Without him, all of you would be lost souls roamin
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
13,670
Three Words: All Star Superman. Now, you may be saying "But Superman is boring, he's generic, he's too powerful, he's unrelateable", but trust me: you will love Superman. Morrison is really showing everyone what made Superman great in the first place. And the good news is that you don't need to read or know anything before picking it up. Its out of continuity. Their's one issue out and another in (I believe) January. I can guarantee that its about a hundred times more fun, exciting and original than most comics out there.

I'd also suggest:
Young Avengers-Young Avengers is a great book if you love characters. To be honest, I don't think the stories are very original or mindblowing, but the characters are just extremely well-written.

Desolation Jones-For all the reasons Baxter (^^^) described.

As For Most DC Books (Other than AS Supes)-Right now we're in the middle of "Infinite Crisis", which is kind of incomprehensible unless you know a lot about DC. But, as Proj said, when Crisis is over every thing will skip ahead one year (its called "One Year Later" for obvious reasons) and the books will be a bit more accessable to new readers (I think).
 

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
Well it's a month later and I've checked out a lot of the suggestions. Only a few stuck:

Punisher MAX - I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!! Its so over the top with the killing that I'm waiting for the Punisher to start looking Arnold Arnold Schwarzenegger circa Total Recall or Charles Bronson. I just finished Vol 4 of the TPB and I'm getting ready to read "Slavers" arc.

New X-Men - I tried....but I just can't get into it. Although I do like New X-Men Academy. But quick question for anyone who reads it---where does Academy end and New X-Men begin??? I thought I saw the characters on the cover of #25 but it didn't say Academy. Does it stop being Academy around a certain issue?

Freshmen - so funny it hurts. Not Nextwave funny.......but American Dad funny. No one here recommended it but a co-worker told me about it and I had to pick it up. Good stuff.

All Star Superman - its why you read comics in the first place. Definiately getting added to the "Pull List".






Now to some other recommendations. Anyone got any additional thoughts on Capt America, New Avengers or anything else?
 

thee great one

Master of TOG-fu.
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
15,570
Location
Mormon Land.
Victor Von Doom said:
Well it's a month later and I've checked out a lot of the suggestions. Only a few stuck:

Punisher MAX - I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!! Its so over the top with the killing that I'm waiting for the Punisher to start looking Arnold Arnold Schwarzenegger circa Total Recall or Charles Bronson. I just finished Vol 4 of the TPB and I'm getting ready to read "Slavers" arc.

New X-Men - I tried....but I just can't get into it. Although I do like New X-Men Academy. But quick question for anyone who reads it---where does Academy end and New X-Men begin??? I thought I saw the characters on the cover of #25 but it didn't say Academy. Does it stop being Academy around a certain issue?

Glad you love Punisher. And New X-men changed at the start of decimation.
 

Latest posts

Top