Brian K. Vaughan & Tom Raney on upcoming Ultimate X-Men Annual?

E

Excelsior Club
From WizardUniverse.com: "Artist Tom Raney will be making the trip from New Jersey down to Wizard World Philadelphia June 3rd through 5th. Tom has been the artist on Captain America, Thor, Action Comics and most recently the rebirth of DC Comics' Outsiders.

Currently working on an Uncanny X-Men arch for issues 460 and 461 out in June, he will also be the artist on the upcoming Ultimate X-Men Annual."

Visit http://www.wizarduniverse.com/conventions/philadelphia/WW20050419-raney.cfm for the story as well as samples of Raney's work.

Brian K. Vaughan is rumored to be writing the book. A poster at Millarworld posted that Vaughan was not the only writer on the book, to which Vaughan himself replied "He's not?" Raney replied, "I was just about to ask the same thing... heh...already on the same page... this bodes well!!!"

Can someone explain to me what an "annual" is? From what I gather, this is a completely original peice of work that isn't a compilation of stories already through the single issues. Please, would someone help me out?

An annual is like a special issue, sometimes longer than a normal issue. The storys are usually self contained but still in continuity.

Goodwill said:
Can someone explain to me what an "annual" is? From what I gather, this is a completely original peice of work that isn't a compilation of stories already through the single issues. Please, would someone help me out?
Traditionally, an annual is exactly just that. Yearly release of a chock full of material into one 64 page book. It was technically an "event" on the level of the "every 18-month X-Title crossover" (but without the pretense of shock, awe and not-so-lasting change).

Unfortunately, annuals seem to make less sense to me because it's really just "one extra short story or a collection of shorts" in between a year that can only fit a couple of decompressed story arcs. There's a better way to word that, but my thoughts fail me.

At least he Super Special made sense because it was more like an Encore Finale than anything else.

This is good news...but then again, whenever there's news of an Ultimate book coming out its good news to me. Anyone know when we can expect this? Will it be sometime toward the end of the year? And since Vaughn is writing it, I would assume it will be out before Singer takes over.

Goodwill said:
From what I gather, this is a completely original peice of work that isn't a compilation of stories already through the single issues.

It could be a compilation though. I think a lot of the older annuals were at least partial compilations.

Really they can do whatever they want - it could be a big long story, several short stories, compilation, etc. There isn't really a set format for them.

When asked on the Bendis Board whether or not the rumor was true, Bendis answered in a dodging way that made it seem as though the answer is "Yes".

So, I'd expect Annuals from X-Men & Spider-Man sometime in late summer or early fall.

Link to BBoard Thread

TheManWithoutFear said:
This is a rumor at the moment, right? I saw this over at the Cabal earlier.

WizUniverse posted it as fact, so I'd assume that it happening and Raney drawing are for sure. BKV as writer is just a rumor but his post at Millarworld seems to pretty much confirm it.

Freeway420 said:
When asked on the Bendis Board whether or not the rumor was true, Bendis answered in a dodging way that made it seem as though the answer is "Yes".

So, I'd expect Annuals from X-Men & Spider-Man sometime in late summer or early fall.

Link to BBoard Thread

I heard the USM one was coming in October, the month that #1 came out in 2000.

This is all good news. I can't wait to see what's in stored! :rockon:

Though I wonder...we can believe something from wizarduniverse but not wizard magazine....:sure:

J/K!

Hey, now this makes perfect sense! One time, I asked Vaughan about the project that he was helping Bendis and Millar with being a HYDRA mini-series, with Rogue and Gambit in the story, and he replied, "Think smaller than that". I think an annual for the series would be smaller, well not only smaller, but the most plausible solution to what he's doing when he's off of the title. I think he gave us the answer to whether or not he was writing the annual well before we even knew about it! ;)

TheManWithoutFear said:
Anyone care to explain what an Annual is and if the story it's going to involve will be a smaller Stand alone type deal... than why is it such a big deal.

Read through the thread. Ourchair explained it pretty well.

ourchair said:
Traditionally, an annual is exactly just that. Yearly release of a chock full of material into one 64 page book. It was technically an "event" on the level of the "every 18-month X-Title crossover" (but without the pretense of shock, awe and not-so-lasting change).

Unfortunately, annuals seem to make less sense to me because it's really just "one extra short story or a collection of shorts" in between a year that can only fit a couple of decompressed story arcs. There's a better way to word that, but my thoughts fail me.

At least he Super Special made sense because it was more like an Encore Finale than anything else.

Ah, ok, so Annuals are outdated and this isn't a big deal...

TheManWithoutFear said:
Ah, ok, so Annuals are outdated and this isn't a big deal...

Outdated, yes, but it's possible that this could be something significant. Back in the day annuals had BIG stories - the revelation behind Peter Parker's parents, Peter/MJ's wedding, etc.

UltimateE said:
Outdated, yes, but it's possible that this could be something significant. Back in the day annuals had BIG stories - the revelation behind Peter Parker's parents, Peter/MJ's wedding, etc.
Planet of the Symbiotes...

ultimatedjf said:
I heard the USM one was coming in October, the month that #1 came out in 2000.

Well, rumor had it that they were gonna do something to celebrate the 5th anniversary of the Ultimate Universe...so, a pair of annuals (Vaughan & Raney on X-Men and Bendis & Brooks on Spider-Man) seem to be in the cards.

Latest posts

Back