Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I think this idea is stupid. Like people already said the story is still going, It's not ended that long ago. Plus isn't there another buffy tv show in the works as Joss is making "Ripper" Plus the film wasn't that good it was tv show when it came to life.

I'm against this 100%. All this is, is a piss-poor attempt at making some $$$ from the Vampire trend at the moment and chances are I won''t even bother watching it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the characters talking in Whedon-speak to die gruesomely violent deaths. :wink:

It was co-written by Drew Goddard so the Whedon-speak might not be as noticeable.

I think this idea is stupid. Like people already said the story is still going, It's not ended that long ago. Plus isn't there another buffy tv show in the works as Joss is making "Ripper" Plus the film wasn't that good it was tv show when it came to life.

I'm against this 100%. All this is, is a piss-poor attempt at making some $$$ from the Vampire trend at the moment and chances are I won''t even bother watching it.

Wow. The apocalypse is nigh. I agree 100% with Mole on something.

Not to mention, Star Trek is an elegant, simple idea that can undergo the strain of countless interpretations and still maintain the integrity of the central concept and the appeal of the audience.

Even Enterprise? Come on. I was always a huge Star Trek fan. Grew up on Next Generation, rewatched TOS when I could, the latter half of DS9 was some of the best TV out there, Voyager was ok. But Enterprise? That killed Trek for me. It was bollocks.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is.... a valley girl fighting vampires.... Seriously. I say, just let Whedon have his little universe to play in, and when he's done with it or the audience just stops caring, PLEASE just let the license fade into obscurity.

I'm sorry, but saying thats all there was to Buffy shows how little you watched or knew about the show. That was the basic concept of the film. The series took that plot and developed a completely new idea of "High School is Hell" as Lynx previously mentioned. It took concepts that many have experienced, including being ignored (in "Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight"), peer pressure ("The Pack") and many others and twisted them into a new monster or problem for Buffy to deal with. As time passed on the show took that concept an applied it to later life, for example the a girl losing her virginity and finding out the guy is a soulless jerk? Enter Angelus. As the group aged, they developed more 'grown up' issues, like getting married, losing a loved one, even paying the bills. All of these were well represented in the show. The Body, the episode centred around the death of Buffy's mother was exceptionally well written, focused on no monsters at all and just the reactions of the group to her death.

As others have mentioned, this is an attempt to cash in on the Vampire trend started by the utter bollocks that was Twilight. Yes it gets me angry that my favourite show is apparently going to be raped as a cash cow, but I fail to see the comparisons between the recent Trek reboot and this. The original Star Trek wasn't a series of my (or indeed most of the people on this boards) generation. It was of our parents. Buffy is our generation. That's the difference. It is a series still fresh in it's fans minds, not a nostalgic rose tinted blur. Plus, Buffy isn't in need of a reboot. It's time line hasn't suffered endless recons and changes. Unlike Star trek and subsequent spinoffs, in which the time line looks like something a glass-blower with hiccups would make.

Although, while we are reinventing and rebooting series that are still being used, why don't we make a Lost movie? That would be great. Of course we will have to get rid of the original cast and start from scratch, but that ok. We could recast Jack Bauer while we are at it. A brand new 24 would be awesome. We could call it 48.

The problem with Joe's argument is that the current Star Trek film is a reboot of the original series... It would be a more apt comparison if the most recent movie was a revamp of Enterprise, Voyager, or Deep Space Nine. Or if they did a Star Trek reboot with young actors and without Roddenbery or the cast of TOS instead of making "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". I mean, sure, there's similarities here... But twenty years or so from now, I would like to hope I would be open to seeing a new interpretation of Buffy, and that I would see it with open eyes and ears... But this is just ridiculous. Nobody is calling for a Buffy reboot. There isn't a need to bring the character to a new generation like people felt about the Star Trek series... That time will most certainly come, and I'd be interested to see how that would change the characters... or what new ideas the movie could explore. But this is just not the time...

I, personally, hate the original Buffy movie with a passion. Sometimes a layer of being terrible makes something fun to watch, but every minute of that film is painful... You don't sympathize with any of the characters for even a second... I don't like to think of myself as an unwavering Whedonist, but when the Buffy TV Series was at its peak, it blew every minute of the original out of the water.

And even for people who don't like the TV series... How does the fact that its NOT Whedon then make it a good thing? Sure... A teenage girl fights vampires. That could certainly be turned into a good idea... But why on EARTH would they choose to connect it to the Buffy series? It just doesn't make any sense.

If you want to do the basic concept, but make it different... Darker, more serious... And for some reason you don't want to check out the live action Blood: The Last Vampire movie that's coming out soon.... That's great. Make that movie. But connecting it to Buffy, rather than doing something original, is only going to hurt this movie.

Sure. It could be brilliant. It could be something entirely new that utilizes the concept of BtVS in a way Whedon and his team never thought to take it...

But this is just an idiot way to approach that idea. If this was some guy saying "I am making a movie, using some aspects of the concept of Buffy to create a whole new character and franchise." I doubt there would be as much of an outrage. But it's going to be a remake. The character is going to be Buffy, and I bet they put Pike and Merrick in there too... And even if its using those ideas to tell a good story, a large majority of Buffy fans won't be able to get past it... I just can't get over how stupid a decision this is for them to make.

But, generally, I doubt this movie is even going to happen. People will get frustrated... Whedon won't get involved, and in the end the studios aren't going to bite on the idea of trying to replicate the LEAST successful interpretation of Buffy we've seen so far.

Last edited:
Yeah when I saw this I thought it was the end of times. Especially since right next to it the announced that their doing a Flight Of The Navigator remake. Hollywood is truly out of ideas.

For those who are to young to remember or heard of Flight Of The Navigator here's the original trailer.

[youtube]XnB7rIL2fy8[/youtube]

Last edited:
So, I was going to keep arguing about this, and then I realized I really don't care enough about Buffy to keep arguing. Really. So all I'll say is, the remake idea is stupid.

Yeah when I saw this I thought it was the end of times. Especially since right next to it the announced that thier doing a Flight Of The Navigator remake. Hollywood is truly out of ideas.

For those who are to young to remember or heard of Flight Of The Navigator here's the original trailer.

[youtube]XnB7rIL2fy8[/youtube]

Dude.... I LOVED that movie....

Latest posts

Back