Can You Find The Deus Ex Machina?

icemastertron said:
Oh, I wasnt trying to say it wasn't or anything. That wasn't what I was talking about.

Oh... okay.

*shamefully takes off teacher's motarboard - which is a hat with a mortar gun on it, I don't take guff in my classroom*

icemastertron said:
I like say Doose-X-Macheena. It sounds so much better. :D

I think it's certainly a better way to spell it.

I always pronounced "Deus" like "Do." Like in Donnie Darko.

Oh, and after watching Dawn of the Dead, I'd like to say that Ving Rhames is a Deus Ex Machina in any movie, due to the extreme amount of *** he kicks, zombie or otherwise.

Last edited:
I always thought that the ghost soldiers in LotR: The Return of the King was kind of a deus ex machina. I know that it had been building but still...

Steve GMan said:
And at the end of Dodgeball, when the Average Joe's win the money, the chest says "Deus Ex Machina" on it.

But it wasn't actually a Deus Ex Machina.

The writer, apparently (this may be a joke the writer purportrated), wanted Dodgeball to end with the good guys losing. Everyone hated it and made him change it to the much better, funnier ending that it had.

He may have called it Deus Ex Machina because it wasn't his 'vision', but not only was it not Deus Ex Machina, it was quite a satisfactory ending.

Iceshadow said:
I always thought that the ghost soldiers in LotR: The Return of the King was kind of a deus ex machina. I know that it had been building but still...

It is a bit, because of the ease in which they win. If it had been more like Gandalf in the Two Towers, where there's a bit of sweat going on, it would've been more satisfactory. It wasn't deus ex, just not very good.

Return of the King does have a full on deus ex machina though - the Eagles swoop down and save them. How lucky.

Originally Posted by Bass
Return of the King does have a full on deus ex machina though - the Eagles swoop down and save them. How lucky.

Oh yeah forgot about that part.

What about in the first Harry Potter movie, Voldemort touches him and turns to dust.

Bass said:
But it wasn't actually a Deus Ex Machina.

The writer, apparently (this may be a joke the writer purportrated), wanted Dodgeball to end with the good guys losing. Everyone hated it and made him change it to the much better, funnier ending that it had.

He may have called it Deus Ex Machina because it wasn't his 'vision', but not only was it not Deus Ex Machina, it was quite a satisfactory ending.

I heard that, too. I'm glad, joke or not, they went with the ending they did, since the other is really anti-climatic. But in terms of the theatrical ending, it's a DEM, since without all the money he won, there would've been no way for him to get his gym back.

Bass said:
As for the pronounciation, it's "DAY-yoos EX MAH-kin-ah". Though that could be bollocks as I'm pretty sure no one really knows. But it's how all the cool people say it. :)

What? How can you NOT know how to pronounce it? We Americans tend to view the British educational system as superior to ours and assume you make students take Latin from Reception on up.

I'm stunned, STUNNED, to see that this is not so.

It's day-oos (soft "o") ex MAHK-een-a (also MAH-keen-a)

Rhyo said:
What? How can you NOT know how to pronounce it? We Americans tend to view the British educational system as superior to ours and assume you make students take Latin from Reception on up.

I'm stunned, STUNNED, to see that this is not so.

It's day-oos (soft "o") ex MAHK-een-a (also MAH-keen-a)

That is how I say it. I'm pretty sure it's just me being **** at writing phoenetics. :oops:

Steve GMan said:
I heard that, too. I'm glad, joke or not, they went with the ending they did, since the other is really anti-climatic. But in terms of the theatrical ending, it's a DEM, since without all the money he won, there would've been no way for him to get his gym back.

Well, it's not DEM. See, Stiller offers to buy Vaughn's gym from him. This is a decision - and he chooses to sell the gym to Stiller. He then bets all the money he got off Stiller on the game, knowing that if he won, he'd have enough cash to buy Stiller out and get his gym back and end this permanently. They play the game, Vaughn beats Stiller and wins. That's not deus ex machina. That's choice > action > consequence. He didn't get the money randomly. He bet it. Granted, this is all revealed at the end, but it holds.

Bass said:
Well, it's not DEM. See, Stiller offers to buy Vaughn's gym from him. This is a decision - and he chooses to sell the gym to Stiller. He then bets all the money he got off Stiller on the game, knowing that if he won, he'd have enough cash to buy Stiller out and get his gym back and end this permanently. They play the game, Vaughn beats Stiller and wins. That's not deus ex machina. That's choice > action > consequence. He didn't get the money randomly. He bet it. Granted, this is all revealed at the end, but it holds.

You think you're so goddamn smart, don't you?

Does the Sentinals showing up to throttle Northstar's mutant group (Dawn of the White Light?) in the Wolverine: Agent Of SHIELD stoyline count?

WOOO! 100 posts!

Last edited:
Tell you what - you put down what happens. Then read my definition of deus ex machina. Then, if you think it's a deus ex machina, say so, hit 'reply' and we'll all discuss it. I'm not the final arbiter. :)

Ok you know what!?! It is! Are you happy?
...You know what else is!?! In the Weapon X arc Wanda pulls the chips from everyones' brain!
...Chew on THAT!

Sorry, didn't mean to fly off the handle.

Last edited:
Yeah you know how to turn my crank just right.:wink: :lol:

Also that last post was supposed to be in good humor, I just forgot the smily.

Latest posts

Back