Capabilities of Green Lantern rings

I was always under the impression that the hypothetical cheeseburger could potentially be eaten, provided the ring-user used enough willpower to will-into-existence the various ingredients, down to the atomic level. So you would have to be extremely, impossibly intelligent, but it could be done. The only problem is, once you discontinue the ring-construct of the cheeseburger, any nourishment you get from it would disappear from your body.

My understanding of it is that the ring is literally only limited to the user's imagination and willpower. Giving the rings specific boundaries (beyond the whole yellow thing) is silly to me.

Was this ever explored in the book? It's an interesting concept and might make for a pretty epic story but it's not something I'd want to see GLs doing all of the time. I'd never even heard of this being possible.

Was this ever explored in the book? It's an interesting concept and might make for a pretty epic story but it's not something I'd want to see GLs doing all of the time. I'd never even heard of this being possible.

I don't think it was ever fully explored, though I'd love to see a villain with god like level of control over the ring

I don't think it was ever fully explored, though I'd love to see a villain with god like level of control over the ring

Both were touched on in Judd Winecks run on the book. At one point Kyle had the fullpower of the Battery at his disposal and could make fully realized constructs, no color restrictions. He could also maintain them indeffinatly.

As for the villian, Nero was an insane man with biblical fixations that basically didn't put limitations on what he thought he could do with the ring, yellow in this case. Things would spawn at whims and act almost on thier own. He was formidable enough that Kyle called in the JLA to help.

Winnecks run was actually quite good until it became more about Kyle's gay assistant than about Green Lantern.

Run-of-the-mill GLs like Hal or Kilowog would never be able to do it, because of the amount of raw, off-the-scale intelligence it would require (the atomic makeup of an entire cheeseburger, right down to decimal points), never mind willpower.

What scientific reason is there to say that it wouldn't work? I mean, they are comics...

Last edited:
Run-of-the-mill GLs like Hal or Kilowog would never be able to do it, because of the amount of raw, off-the-scale intelligence it would require (the atomic makeup of an entire cheeseburger, right down to decimal points), never mind willpower.

What scientific reason is there to say that it wouldn't work? I mean, they are comics...

I'd love to see a Coluan with the ring. Can you imagine if Brainiac got his hands on it?

There was a 'Justice League Adventures' comic a good few years ago (before it became 'Justice League Unlimited') where Brainiac took control of the entire Corps, but it wasn't that special.

That's definitely something they should explore.

There was a 'Justice League Adventures' comic a good few years ago (before it became 'Justice League Unlimited') where Brainiac took control of the entire Corps, but it wasn't that special.

That's definitely something they should explore.

It would be so epic, imagine a Green Lantern ring being controlled by someone able to download the entire consciousness of hundreds of worlds at once. I don't know why Brainiac isn't a huge Green Lantern villain.

OK...that makes sense. Has there ever been a GL that does have that ability? I would imagine a cosmic-type or God-like being might be able to do this, but then again he/she/it might be able to create a cheeseburger or whatever without the ring...

I'd love to see a Coluan with the ring. Can you imagine if Brainiac got his hands on it?

This weeks R.E.B.E.L.S has Vril Dox, Braniacs son and 11th level intellegence getting a Sinestro Corp ring.

I expect it to be quite good as R.E.B.E.L.S. has been pretty good so far.

It would be so epic, imagine a Green Lantern ring being controlled by someone able to download the entire consciousness of hundreds of worlds at once. I don't know why Brainiac isn't a huge Green Lantern villain.

Perhaps because he's a robot and a robot can't have willpower, because it's a purely organic phenomenon.

Perhaps because he's a robot and a robot can't have willpower, because it's a purely organic phenomenon.

Now that is a good point. I'd love to see them work that into a GL story with Brainiac.

except that current GL Stel is a robot...wow it has been a long time since i've posted here

Dang.... maybe it depends whether one is a true artificial-intelligence personality type, which Brainiac sometimes is and sometimes isn't.

Last edited:
To be fair Brainiac's not strictly a robot, he's made from organics. At least the current version is anyway.

To be fair Brainiac's not strictly a robot, he's made from organics. At least the current version is anyway.

Brainiac hasn't been a robot since what, 86? In post-crisis he was a Coulan who attempted to overthrow the computer tyrants, a task later completed by his son, Vril Dox II. He escaped his attempted execution, and in a slightly adjusted timeline to account for the recent portrayal in Action, atarted wondering the galaxy. Intellegent? Yes. Evil? Of course. Robot? Not at all. Biological, with a greater tech interface than most, but not a robot.

And no guys, Coulans aren't robots. They might all have networked themselves (as of atleat 89) and them might not be free thinkers, but they're not robots.

There are tons of stories where Brainiac is still a full-on robot. We're not limited to the current run of canon mainstream Superman comics here.

Yeah, but when the last Brainiac as a robot story was 23 years ago I think we can let it go.

But hell, they just brought back Superboy so what do I know.

I'm just glad someone responded to one of my posts in this thread. I was beginning to wonder if they were showing up.

Yeah, but when the last Brainiac as a robot story was 23 years ago I think we can let it go.

Give or take a couple decades, right?

Not to mention S:TAS, Justice Leauge Unlimited, JUSTICE, Smallville, The Last Days Of Krypton, etc.

I like him way better as an android myself. And even if there actually wasn't a single Brainiac-is-a-robot story since 1986, I'd still want to see them do one just for the sake of Gothamite's awesome Green Lantern idea.

?!?

No it wasn't! Brainiac 2.5 and Brainiac 13, both really vital characters in comics from 1997-2006, were both robots.

Anyway, yeah, let's move on.

Latest posts

Back