Captain America: Born Too Late

I'm inclined to make Rogers a Norman Rockwell style artist who once made a living by creating frame-worthy "camera ready" illustrations for magazines, but later ends up feeling redundant in the face of younger straight-to-digital graphic designers (yeah, easy metaphor, I know, but I suspect I can flesh it out well enough).

Question is, is it possible to execute this without it feeling too much like either Marvels or Astro City. I know the very premise invites such a comparison, but do you feel there is enough original ideas here to make it feel distinct?

I'm inclined to make Rogers a Norman Rockwell style artist who once made a living by creating frame-worthy "camera ready" illustrations for magazines, but later ends up feeling redundant in the face of younger straight-to-digital graphic designers (yeah, easy metaphor, I know, but I suspect I can flesh it out well enough).

Question is, is it possible to execute this without it feeling too much like either Marvels or Astro City. I know the very premise invites such a comparison, but do you feel there is enough original ideas here to make it feel distinct?
I think the best way to deal with your original concept, and the other new ideas that have developed since them... is for them to be two different adaptations, really.

I mean the first story is America As It Sees Itself, right? Well this 'artist and hero through the ages' idea seems closer to being more about the role of the hero-as-symbol in the face of different icons for different times, and makes it distinct from Phil Sheldon in Marvels because the observer is also a hero as well, who faces the changing nature of his relevance (whereas Sheldon was really 'old-school comic book fan' riding through the decades and how men-in-tights have changing significance for him: a fan going through reverence, disgust, hope, disappointment, etc.).

Latest posts

Back