Captain America Movie

The Overlord said:
The thing is though I think a lot of people would want see humour in this film, mainly because people enjoyed some of the humour from the other Marvel films. What other options are there for humour in this film? The Red Skull is not funny.

I'm sure there are ways to accomplish this without compromising the character. Miller did it pretty well in Ultimates.

I'm sure there are ways to accomplish this without compromising the character. Miller did it pretty well in Ultimates.

I agree. I think much of the humor involving Cap in the Ultimates stemmed from him being a "man out of his time," but I think they can still put him in some semi-humorous situations in this movie while he's still fighting in the war. Captain America can still be the butt of a joke without cracking the joke; there's a part in the trailers where Hayley Atwell shoots his shield. That's something the audience could laugh at.

He's actually got a pretty good sense of humor in the Brubaker run. At least when he's not being manic depressant or dead.

Arguments can also be made that this is a Cap very early in his career, when he was a bit more happy-go-lucky, before the death of Bucky, his best friend, before being frozen for 70 years and awaking to an unknown and radically different world. A more serious Cap after these events makes perfect sense, but before them I can accept a bit of humor from the guy.

Exactly! Besides, mainstream Cap does throw wise cracks. Besides, there doesn't seem to be that many in the movie anyway.

I am really looking forward to this, but based on the previews and commercials I've seen, Chris Evans is a bad choice to play Cap.

I completely disagree, so far Evans has been an excellent choice.

I've never seen a Captain America comic where Cap is a wisecracking smart alack - that's not Captain America.

Then you don't know Cap, or you're confusing the Mainstream Cap with the Ultimate Cap. Cap isn't serious all the time and he has made a few wise cracks in his day.

Even then, there isn't that many in the movie, so i don't know why you are being so nitpicky.

Last edited:
I was sent this clip in an e-mail, and I thought I'd post my outrageous fanboy reaction. Please read it less like a genuine complaint and more like the e-mail equivalent of a stand-up routine, as intended.

_____

The footage shown annoyed me and I was trying to work out why and then I realised: This is Cap. In World War II. He is surrounded by tanks. And Nazis.

And he is shot at once.

With an electro-gun. And despite it hitting a metal target (the ****ing shield) Cap isn't electrocuted because he isn't earthed (except he's standing on the ground). Perhaps the shield is part rubber. That would explain why it bounces.

There are no bombs. There is no machine gun fire. I assume the War is only on from nine to five, weekdays.

And Cap doesn't even need to look at Nazis to beat them up, because he can throw his shield away from his enemies and they'll bounce back around hit the guy and then he can catch the shield. I assume the War is set in the magical toon land of Acme Acres. That would explain why Cap doesn't kill a ******* one of them and they bounce around like they're on Takeshi's ****ing Castle.

And then, when two Nazis do surround him and get the jump on him, they each have two flamethrowers, something Cap's shield can't really protect him from, and they decide to not actually hit Captain America but instead shoot around him. Perhaps they think the fire is like his shield and therefore they must aim away from him so the fire can bounce back and hit their intended targets. This is more preposterous than the Cosmic Cube. Germans are genetically incapable of being that incompetent.

When I heard the vibe they were going for was "Indiana Jones" I had hoped they meant RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and not ****ing KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL NERF-CANNON.

But it's good because kids hate violence and death. That's why RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, JAWS, STAR WARS, THE LORD OF THE RINGS, and THE DARK KNIGHT all tanked.

Note to Hollywood: If BACK TO THE FUTURE can have a ****ing rape scene in it, Captain America can kill science Nazis that are trying to take over space-time during World ****ing War ****ing II.

But maybe in the context of the film it'll work. Maybe the Nazis have been given strict instructions to capture Captain America with flamethrowers (that's what the police use to subdue people!), or perhaps this is a training level so Cap can get used to the shield combos.

_______

In all honesty, I expect CAPTAIN AMERICA to be as much fun as THOR and IRON MAN, if only due to the grenade scene, because wow. And the cast is great. I'm looking forward to it. But it's fun to take the spark of frustration into personal offence. I only offer this disclaimer because I don't want people taking this seriously and 'rebutting' my rant. It's for a laugh.

Last edited:
I was sent this clip in an e-mail, and I thought I'd post my outrageous fanboy reaction. Please read it less like a genuine complaint and more like the e-mail equivalent of a stand-up routine, as intended.

_____

The footage shown annoyed me and I was trying to work out why and then I realised: This is Cap. In World War II. He is surrounded by tanks. And Nazis.

And he is shot at once.

With an electro-gun. And despite it hitting a metal target (the ****ing shield) Cap isn't electrocuted because he isn't earthed (except he's standing on the ground). Perhaps the shield is part rubber. That would explain why it bounces.

There are no bombs. There is no machine gun fire. I assume the War is only on from nine to five, weekdays.

And Cap doesn't even need to look at Nazis to beat them up, because he can throw his shield away from his enemies and they'll bounce back around hit the guy and then he can catch the shield. I assume the War is set in the magical toon land of Acme Acres. That would explain why Cap doesn't kill a ******* one of them and they bounce around like they're on Takeshi's ****ing Castle.

And then, when two Nazis do surround him and get the jump on him, they each have two flamethrowers, something Cap's shield can't really protect him from, and they decide to not actually hit Captain America but instead shoot around him. Perhaps they think the fire is like his shield and therefore they must aim away from him so the fire can bounce back and hit their intended targets. This is more preposterous than the Cosmic Cube. Germans are genetically incapable of being that incompetent.

When I heard the vibe they were going for was "Indiana Jones" I had hoped they meant RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and not ****ing KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL NERF-CANNON.

But it's good because kids hate violence and death. That's why RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, JAWS, STAR WARS, THE LORD OF THE RINGS, and THE DARK KNIGHT all tanked.

Note to Hollywood: If BACK TO THE FUTURE can have a ****ing rape scene in it, Captain America can kill science Nazis that are trying to take over space-time during World ****ing War ****ing II.

But maybe in the context of the film it'll work. Maybe the Nazis have been given strict instructions to capture Captain America with flamethrowers (that's what the police use to subdue people!), or perhaps this is a training level so Cap can get used to the shield combos.

_______

In all honesty, I expect CAPTAIN AMERICA to be as much fun as THOR and IRON MAN, if only due to the grenade scene, because wow. And the cast is great. I'm looking forward to it. But it's fun to take the spark of frustration into personal offence. I only offer this disclaimer because I don't want people taking this seriously and 'rebutting' my rant. It's for a laugh.

rebutt

ok, the flamthrower scene actually was pretty funny. "DIAMOND!" could he not rol under the flames, they're kinda suspended in the air.

I've been disappointed with the marketing for this so far(post-trailers). The tv spots have all seemed pretty "generic, corny action movie" when I think they should be getting people hyped with a rip-roaring, Nazi-killing assault impression like the Inglourious Basterds trailers or inspiring all-American feel(even if the film itself ends up subverting that) of the "IN McCLANE WE TRUST" tv spots for Live Free Or Die Hard(which I can't find online, but were pretty close to the middle part of this trailer). I hope it's still standing out to people.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back