Captain Britain, and "The Union"

Guijllons said:
To say that it won't be the most exciting team is perhaps a little short sighted, there is a great deal to be done. If each persona is the representation of their country, then we have quite a mixed bag of personalities indeed.
Sorry, this just reminds me of an old joke that I never seem to tire of... Here it is again, for those of you who might have forgotten (yes, both of you):

It is said that Heaven is a place where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Italian, the mechanics are German, and it's all run by the Swiss; whereas Hell is a place where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it's all run by the Italians!

by their very nature, aren't comics all about hero worship though?
and like i said, i am not sure that is what 'the union' is about.
unless you treat them as 'one hero' if you see what i mean.

hmm..
*borrows bass's :ponder: smilie without paying royalties*

edit: found my own
confused33.gif

Last edited:
compound said:
Sorry, this just reminds me of an old joke that I never seem to tire of... Here it is again, for those of you who might have forgotten (yes, both of you):

It is said that Heaven is a place where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Italian, the mechanics are German, and it's all run by the Swiss; whereas Hell is a place where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it's all run by the Italians!

hehehe, I hadn't heard that before. But I would have to agree :D

Solaris said:
by their very nature, aren't comics all about hero worship though?
and like i said, i am not sure that is what 'the union' is about.
unless you treat them as 'one hero' if you see what i mean.

hmm..
*borrows bass's :ponder: smilie without paying royalties*

Actually the reason I picked up comics after all these years was because of the hero worship element while looking at the American religious right, and the expanse of that through general organised religion and world politics. But that's an aside. (Must copyright that phrase)

The Union can be treated as one hero if you see them to have a singular adversary, and they all pull together in the time of need, and backslap their way to victory. But this isn't the european way, and really, the Ultimates is not the usual back slappy comic that we are used to in general. (kinda obvious that Millar is a politically minded scot hey)

But, now, I've been suckered into the writing of the great hoon, and I am curious as to what attributes he will give this union (if at all) that will differentiate them from their American counterparts. Not simply in the manner of which they fight battles, and who they are as people, but how the team dynamics would differ. If of course this actually gets played out.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I know a lot of people are excited about "The Union" but I think if they're characterizations and backstories are to be told it certainly won't be in The Ultimates. So unless there's a mini involving them, they're just foot soldiers.

Or not there at all.. :wink:
i think yuor going to be right about there backstorys never be told at all.
but let's hope the little time they do get is great.

I'm just glad that they didn't copy this European Superhero team:

http://www.captaineuro.com/

It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad that I thought it was a parody showing everything wrong with the EU, but no, they actually mean it.

he looks like a superhero hired by a big dutch supermarket to me :roll:
edit: this appears to be a greek invention?

needless to say, he is just a little too squeaky clean, and probably aimed at the 4 to 8 year old market..... *shudders to think of those poor little ones being brainwashed with this

btw, anyone noticed their emblem? yellow five pointed star worn on chest? five points = bad. however, a six-pointed yellow star would have strong (negative) associations with europe's dark past. but that's an aside

I'd love to see the Union in a mini, although I can't imagine all of the characters being used or explored fully. In fact, I can imagine almost everyone being ridiculous sterotypes. I can just see a stoned Captain Netherlands :roll:

I've been looking but I cannot find where it says the European heroes are suit based. I know the United States back up heroes are suit based.

And the fact that they are all the exact same powers is just absolutely frickin' stupid. They're all knock offs of Captain Britian, who, in the old universe had his own identiity. On the cover of Ultimates 2 #7 i saw one of the Union members with flames on his/her head. What happened to that? Why are they all superman minus ice breath and laser vision (and i'm assumeing super-speed)?

Hawkeye101 said:
I've been looking but I cannot find where it says the European heroes are suit based. I know the United States back up heroes are suit based.

And the fact that they are all the exact same powers is just absolutely frickin' stupid. They're all knock offs of Captain Britian, who, in the old universe had his own identiity. On the cover of Ultimates 2 #7 i saw one of the Union members with flames on his/her head. What happened to that? Why are they all superman minus ice breath and laser vision (and i'm assumeing super-speed)?

Yeah but, we don't know that do we? We've barely seen them in action, at least not enough to clarify their powers.

Bass said:
I think it's mentioned in the annual.

I'm reading..... I'm reading..... I'm reading..... I'm reading..... nothing about the Unions suits being their scource of power in the Ultimates 2 Annual.

There is nothing 100% confirming it, but there is strong evidence.

There is the one particular conversation involving Captain Britain, Professor Sir James Braddock, Captain America, and Nick Fury (with everyone else milling around) that comes to mind.

Brian joked that he actually designed the 'exo-suit' and that his dad was just ugly enough to look intelligent (and presumably take the credit for its design -- again he was joking about who actually designed it).

Also, Millar has said their powers are all derived from their suits. Although since he didn't completely nail it down in the book and will soon be leaving the title, there is plenty of room for Loeb or whoever in the future to change things if they choose to.

Fuzzy Birds said:
I'd love to see the Union in a mini, although I can't imagine all of the characters being used or explored fully. In fact, I can imagine almost everyone being ridiculous sterotypes. I can just see a stoned Captain Netherlands :roll:

I would thoroughly love that personally...he should also have a bunch of prostitutes making up his group of "hanger-ons".

14rdb said:
There is nothing 100% confirming it, but there is strong evidence.

There is the one particular conversation involving Captain Britain, Professor Sir James Braddock, Captain America, and Nick Fury (with everyone else milling around) that comes to mind.

Brian joked that he actually designed the 'exo-suit' and that his dad was just ugly enough to look intelligent (and presumably take the credit for its design -- again he was joking about who actually designed it).

Also, Millar has said their powers are all derived from their suits. Although since he didn't completely nail it down in the book and will soon be leaving the title, there is plenty of room for Loeb or whoever in the future to change things if they choose to.

And just in case anyone's wondering, I think he's referring to the ending of the Return of the King arc, I believe UXM #32.

Sorry, I should have cited the issue I was referring to. The conversation I was talking about took place in The Ultimates V2 #4.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Sounds cool, but they'd have to kill off Captain France at some point.

14rdb said:
Sorry, I should have cited the issue I was referring to. The conversation I was talking about took place in The Ultimates V2 #4.

Oh thats right, during the breifing before they took out Thor. I was thinking of the re-opening of the Xavier school during RoTK after it had been destroyed in the Weapon X arc.

Latest posts

Back