Captain Britain, and "The Union"

Guijllons

Let's have a thread dedicated to this chappie and the rest of "The Union" shall we.
As has been recently revealed, the team of European super-soldiers is to be known as "The Union". Each of the members will undoubtedly have their own powers, and we'll see them in time. Did any of the European guys exist before this run of the Ultimates, outside of Captain Britain, of are they all just constructs?

And of Cap. Britain himself, Brian Braddock, what do we know about him? Well, class, we know that he has a suit that is the source of all his power. the powers he has being, flight, strength, and a forcefield.
But since Thor has his hammer, will Brian have his sword, Excalibur?

From Marveldirectory:

Weapons: Captain Britain wields Excalibur, the Sword of Might, forged in the fires of creation and tempered by the power of the universe. United with the Amulet of Right, Excalibur possesses the capacity to remake the cosmos. Both talismans of power formerly belonged to the god-wizard Merlin.

But obviously this will have an Ultimate makeover should it exist. But what could it actually do in the books?
And isn't it interesting that it could 'remake the cosmos', Loki anyone? hmmm

That's all for now, and remember that there will be a test.

Last edited:
Anyone else want to see Captain Britian, Nightcrawler, and Kitty Pride hanging out together sometime? Anyone? No? Okay, I'll go back to my hole now.

I want to see Germany go nuts and attack the rest. Then Captain America could save them, and we'd actually have a reason to still act like we saved Europe just yesterday. Then Germany can come back on the team again. Then go nuts again and violate Captain France!

Seriously though, I don't think I like "The Union." They all seem so boring, with the same powers and the same-ish looking suit. I much rather like the Europeans that got butchered in the Sentry Mini. Is that an actual team?

iceman said:
Seriously though, I don't think I like "The Union." They all seem so boring, with the same powers and the same-ish looking suit.

I think that's exactly the point though...

It seems to me that the uniform that they all wear, makes them actually look like a proper team, rather than a bunch of superguys that that have got pulled together for a cause.

I sincerely hope that there is no butchering of these guys before they get going though, obviously they're still pretty new to this game, but I don't wanna see a death just yet. Get by by the skin of their teeth, sure.

But come on guys, this is a new big team, with new heroes. Isn't that what people having been begging for from the Ultimate universe? and furthermore... NO CAPES!! or hoods, or magic (i would imagine), this sounds just right to me.

Guijllons said:
As has been recently revealed, the team of European super-soldiers is to be known as "The Union".
Are you sure? I can't find that name anywhere, and I'm pretty sure that they'd be referring to the European Union, not the superheroes. Only thing close to a team name I've picked up is the "European Defense Initiative".

Also, how the hell can you rip on peoples' powers, when we haven't seen them really in action yet? Are we just going to turn on anyone with strength? Because that's a lot of people in the Marvelverse.

jtg3885 said:
Are you sure? I can't find that name anywhere, and I'm pretty sure that they'd be referring to the European Union, not the superheroes. Only thing close to a team name I've picked up is the "European Defense Initiative".

Also, how the hell can you rip on peoples' powers, when we haven't seen them really in action yet? Are we just going to turn on anyone with strength? Because that's a lot of people in the Marvelverse.

It was on the Millarboard, apparently, E posted about it earlier.

And damn straight about the abilities, sounds like a case of euro-phobia iceman has going on there :)

Baxter said:
Anyone else want to see Captain Britian, Nightcrawler, and Kitty Pride hanging out together sometime? Anyone? No? Okay, I'll go back to my hole now.
This seems like as good a thread as any to ask -- has there ever been any mention of Pete Wisdom in the Ultimate Universe, even if he's never been shown on panel?

I wouldn't mind a one-arc gathering of an 'Ultimate Excalibur', as an ad-hoc group, for a single mission that justifies their coming together (most likely the Union guest-starring in UXM). They could operate from Moira's clinic on Muir Island, for one thing.

Guijllons said:
It was on the Millarboard, apparently, E posted about it earlier.

And damn straight about the abilities, sounds like a case of euro-phobia iceman has going on there :)
Bahh, to me, it ain't canon till it shows up in the comics.

Well google told me who pete wisdom was, and he's not been mentioned, that I recall. If anything, he would most likely have been mentioned in the world tour arc. He may appear as one of the black ops "union" folk, or alongside Betsy, or kwannon as she's now known.

Guijllons said:
It seems to me that the uniform that they all wear, makes them actually look like a proper team, rather than a bunch of superguys that that have got pulled together for a cause.

I sincerely hope that there is no butchering of these guys before they get going though, obviously they're still pretty new to this game, but I don't wanna see a death just yet. Get by by the skin of their teeth, sure.

But come on guys, this is a new big team, with new heroes. Isn't that what people having been begging for from the Ultimate universe? and furthermore... NO CAPES!! or hoods, or magic (i would imagine), this sounds just right to me.
i like what you said it does make them look more like a team then a bunch of super powered beings. and miller did call them 'The Union"

Last edited:
Actually, I wanna expand on that idea a little. I wonder if that will peeve the Ultimates off, that the Union are like a team. Most of the Ultimates' conflicts have been with themselves. Every turn they are shooting themselves in the arse. I wonder, will the Union have a more cohesive team unit. We don't politically of course, but that's beside the point. Maybe.

Guijllons said:
Actually, I wanna expand on that idea a little. I wonder if that will peeve the Ultimates off, that the Union are like a team. Most of the Ultimates' conflicts have been with themselves. Every turn they are shooting themselves in the arse. I wonder, will the Union have a more cohesive team unit. We don't politically of course, but that's beside the point. Maybe.
I like that idea too. The thought that they'd actually be a team with better performance and cohesion while causing less collateral damage but without the kind of influence that SHIELD has or the high profile that The Ultimates have would make a very interesting plot point to explore. I doubt Millar will have time to explore it, but hopefully whoever Marvel assigns to take over will.

It certainly is a more European way of thinking I guess. Less "destroy a region to kill a lone "terrorist".", more, send your best people in quickly, get them out quickly. I feel MWoF's pain that there won't be a Union series, but more because I doubt that there will even be a mini.

I'll live.

Guijllons said:
Most of the Ultimates' conflicts have been with themselves. ... I wonder, will the Union have a more cohesive team unit. We don't politically of course, but that's beside the point. Maybe.

i dont think the issue is entirely political in any case.
for me, it's a question of society's values. hero worship in the states - a celebration of the achivements of individuals at all times

over here, looking out for each other more? happy to contribute to a team's success without having to stand out?

'see your best work get unnoticed' (MI6)

yah, so maybe that's a more boring way to read comics, mind...

Last edited:
I know a lot of people are excited about "The Union" but I think if they're characterizations and backstories are to be told it certainly won't be in The Ultimates. So unless there's a mini involving them, they're just foot soldiers.

Or not there at all.. :wink:

There always have been, and always shall be fractures within Europe, there is a constant rot that moves about from one nation to the other for a start.
To say that it won't be the most exciting team is perhaps a little short sighted, there is a great deal to be done. If each persona is the representation of their country, then we have quite a mixed bag of personalities indeed.

Time will tell, I'm merely interested in what they can and will be doing at this point. And yeah, they will be little more than footsoldiers for now. But certainly I'd like to see them explored further, it's the first proper European team and all. (Don't try to tell me Excalibur was)

Guijllons said:
There always have been, and always shall be fractures within Europe, there is a constant rot that moves about from one nation to the other for a start.
To say that it won't be the most exciting team is perhaps a little short sighted, there is a great deal to be done. If each persona is the representation of their country, then we have quite a mixed bag of personalities indeed.

Time will tell, I'm merely interested in what they can and will be doing at this point. And yeah, they will be little more than footsoldiers for now. But certainly I'd like to see them explored further, it's the first proper European team and all. (Don't try to tell me Excalibur was)

How will they not be footsoldiers? They're not gonna be involved after this next issue is over. The Thor plot will be resolved and everyone's going to go home.

Latest posts

Back