Captain Planet!

But they also wrote Superman Returns, which as I recall you were....less than thrilled with.:wink:
That is true.

But doing ONE good superhero movie is a pretty good resume compared to other superhero screenwriters like Zak Penn and Simon Kinberg.

I have a lot of problems with Superman Returns, but I don't necessarily think it's a ****ty film. Even though I hate it. Does any of that make sense? Regardless, my problems with Superman Returns was never the script.

SSJmole, you do realize that now you have to make a Captain Planet movie, since you've made a thread about it. Rules are rules.

SSJmole, you do realize that now you have to make a Captain Planet movie, since you've made a thread about it. Rules are rules.

I did but i can't post it. It's rated R and there might be kids on the site.

or at least that's my story and i'm sticking with it

I doubt more than 2 or 3 people in the entire world will care at all, let alone enough to "riot in the streets". This is besides the fact that 2 or 3 people (in world-wide terms, or any others for that matter) don't at all qualify as a "riot" anywhere but Canada.

BLASPHEMER!

Don't you know? Captain Planet died for your sins.

captainplanet.jpg

I would be open to the idea of an "all-ages" Captain Planet film, but I personally don't like the idea of taking some of the basic concepts for granted.

Most of the freakish villains are easy enough to explain, in a Spider-Man/Ninja Turtles accident-gone-wrong kind of way.

The fundamental problem, really, is the Planeteers themselves, and their allies. Even as a kid, I wanted to know:

(a) Why don't other people know about Hope Island?

(b) How the **** did Hope Island get so technologically advanced, anyway? Who built the Geo-Cruiser and the other vehicles?

(c) How did the Planeteers first get to Hope Island, from their various locations?

(d) What cover story do they give to their families, when they're off globe-trotting and saving the planet?

I know that *some* of those questions may have been answered in later episodes, but I would still like an element of "believability", if the series were to be revamped. And that would mean providing satisfying responses to those questions.

Just because something is aimed at kids, it doesn't mean that they'll just accept one wild premise after another. I don't feel it's necessary to explain, say, how exactly the ring works, or what exactly happens during the summoning process for Cap. I just think Gaia and Hope Island should be addressed in greater detail, because it's the kind of thing that would probably raise eyebrows, in the "real" world.

And no, before anybody suggests the idea -- Gaia is NOT "Jacob".

Personally, I'm inclined to go with the idea that a DHARMA-like group of multi-cultural, high-minded world-savers built Hope Island in the late 80s/early 90s, in response to the growing threat of climate change.

They wanted to find a scientific way of addressing the environmental imbalance caused by human "development", and tried to engineer genetically-enhanced "future humans" that could prepare the planet for a more sustainable future.

"Gaia" was just another project of the group -- not an Elemental, as she was in the cartoon -- but a hyper-intelligent computer program, oriented towards calculating the optimal level of biodiversity in the world.

Likewise, the "Geo-Cruiser" was meant to be a prototype form of environmentally-friendly transport, for civilian use.

So, basically, in the early 90s (arond the time of the original show), all of the core members of the project have given birth to the first batch of young "future humans", who are born with element-based abilities, with the exception of the head of the program, Lutin Plunder, whose wife and twins died in childbirth. The despondent Plunder eventually goes nuts, and attempts to sabotage the project, from inside. The other members try to stop him, at the cost of their lives. But Gaia's AI facilitated the emergency transport of the infants to their parents' next-of-kin, in various parts of the outside world.

Fifteen years after Plunder's betrayal, in 2007, Gaia has rebuilt the facilities on Hope Island, and searches the world for the surviving "future humans": the Planeteers we all know and love.

So in this revamped version, the rings are meant to control and harness the abilities the Planeteers were already born with. Combining those powers will create the real objective of their parents: a super-powered environmental champion, Captain Planet.

Does that work?

Last edited:
I like it, but would you have all of the characters speak english?
Yes, for convenience's sake.

If you really insist on an in-story explanation, I guess that Ma-Ti's parents were brilliant sociologists, or people who specialized in inter-cultral communication (since his "Heart" powers have always been related to the idea of developing understanding or compassion). So they teamed up with the tech folks to design a kind of Babel Fish-like translation device, which each of the Planeteers use to communicate with each other. Therefore, even if the *audience* hears English, all the characters are meant to be speaking their native language.

I wonder if they're gonna keep the kid with the Heart ring, he was so useless.

You can imagine someone asking them all what their powers are..

Wheeler: I can make fire!
Kwame: I can make earthquakes!
Linka: I can make hurricanes!
Gi: I can make tidal waves!
Ma-ti: I talk to monkeys.

Bit anticlimatic ain't it?

You can imagine someone asking them all what their powers are..

Wheeler: I can make fire!
Kwame: I can make earthquakes!
Linka: I can make hurricanes!
Gi: I can make tidal waves!
Ma-ti: I talk to monkeys.

Bit anticlimatic ain't it?

Oh yeah. When they introduce themselves he needs to go first so it's a build up rather than a let down.

No, turns out Heart can do alot more than just control animals.

The rest of them were captured, and he was by himself, and he went nuts, he controlled insects to swarm over someone, almost killing them, he controlled a bunch of guards to start shooting their own man, and he controlled the other Planeteers, and was using them like puppets.

It was cool

Back