CBR reveals Ultimate X-Men #78-79 preview sketches

And Cap's legs would break from half the jumps he does, out of buildings or out of aircraft.

Physics + Comics= Yellow Sun makes an Alien super strong and able to fly.

Cap is an enhanced human. Superman is an alien. Their bodies are more durable than Cyclops's.

I'm no physics expert, but wouldn't the force needed to do that basically cause his neck to snap?
I guess that depends on how it is done. If he blast one time over a short distant of time with a powerful enough blast to stop him then yes he would probably break his neck. If he starts with a less powerful blast and increase the power of it during the fall to match the decrease of speed then I guess it would work.

I'm no physics expert, but wouldn't the force needed to do that basically cause his neck to snap?

I remember hearing about a physics professor who to get his class intrested talked about the physics of super heroes and the example I remeber was of Cyclops. He said that the force his blast gives off should have his head flying off at 120 mph and that he must have a secondary mutation like an abnormally strong neck muscles.

thats like the marvel science exhbiit they have in canada where they teach you about comic book science. but everyone needs a teacher like that. did he say any other stuff that you can remember?

thats like the marvel science exhbiit they have in canada where they teach you about comic book science. but everyone needs a teacher like that. did he say any other stuff that you can remember?

No, but I think I'm pretty good at explaining things like that, which is why I remember it in the first place (it was like 5 years ago)

Re: Ultimate X-Men #78-79 preview sketches

I guess Rogue gets a new arm? I'm assume she steals Wolverine's power, but. . .who knows?

Uhh.. Yeah. That happened already in Issue 77. Go re-read it, its clearly shown.

And Grizzly also already turned into a bear in issue 77. In 78, he looks to have the same form he assumed in the current issue.

Kirkman said:
Welcome to the super-sized, super-cool 25th anniversary installment of BUY MY BOOKS. Make sure you get the one with the holofoil variant cover - the cover price is more, but it's totally worth it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Paquette is a step down from Immonen and Oliver, and the X Jet being able to beam people up has always been stupid. Even when Millar wrote it.

Uhh.. Yeah. That happened already in Issue 77. Go re-read it, its clearly shown.

And Grizzly also already turned into a bear in issue 77. In 78, he looks to have the same form he assumed in the current issue.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Paquette is a step down from Immonen and Oliver, and the X Jet being able to beam people up has always been stupid. Even when Millar wrote it.

Why? I mean, why is it more or less stupid than a guy who shoots lasers out of his eyes, a woman who can control weather, a dude with claws and near immortality, and a gay guy who can turn his skin into steel?

Basically, why does your suspension of disbelief apply to those but not a "beamer-upper" (for lack of a better word). A "beamer-upper" (this'll be the last time, I promise) is most likely the more probable and likely of the two to actually being a reality. Maybe not teleportation, but surely some type of electromagnetic field which can slow the descent of an object?

As opposed to lasers coming out of a guy's eyes.

I really want you to think on that.

;)

Last edited:

Why? I mean, why is it more or less stupid than a guy who shoots lasers out of his eyes, a woman who can control weather, a dude with claws and near immortality, and a gay guy who can turn his skin into steel?

;)

Meh. I just find it unoriginal, not necesarrily any more unbelievable than superpowers.

One of the things I disliked about 90's comic was the ubersweet future tech, and the X Jet reminds me of that.

I find Immonen disagreeable (and loathe his inheritance of USM), though I concede to Paquette's style being reminiscent of his and admit to loving it. Rogue is visually brilliant. I think it's the haircut that does it for me. She's evolving to mirror the "X-men Evolution" Rogue; edgy, morose and hot-tempered as opposed to the whiney, no-real-character attempt at her "ultimization" that has never really spoke to me. I see good things in UXM's future. Kitty leaving is cool as long as she shows in USM. I also want Dazzler back! I love and miss her!

Also, there is a book (to be found on the shelves of Barnes & Noble) that delves very deeply into the science of a handful of Marvel character's powers. It is quite thick and I believe it to be penned by actual physicists, scientists, biologists, etc. Off the top of my head I remember Colossus, Iceman, and the Scarlet Witch (wonderful chapter on Chaos theory). It even goes so far as to discuss the calorie intake required by these people in order to produce said abilities. Can't remember the title for the life of me.​

I find Immonen disagreeable (and loathe his inheritance of USM), though I concede to Paquette's style being reminiscent of his and admit to loving it. Rogue is visually brilliant. I think it's the haircut that does it for me. She's evolving to mirror the "X-men Evolution" Rogue; edgy, morose and hot-tempered as opposed to the whiney, no-real-character attempt at her "ultimization" that has never really spoke to me. I see good things in UXM's future. Kitty leaving is cool as long as she shows in USM. I also want Dazzler back! I love and miss her!

Also, there is a book (to be found on the shelves of Barnes & Noble) that delves very deeply into the science of a handful of Marvel character's powers. It is quite thick and I believe it to be penned by actual physicists, scientists, biologists, etc. Off the top of my head I remember Colossus, Iceman, and the Scarlet Witch (wonderful chapter on Chaos theory). It even goes so far as to discuss the calorie intake required by these people in order to produce said abilities. Can't remember the title for the life of me.​

There's a book which I believe is called The Science of Superheroes which I've been meaning to check out. I know there are at least 1 or 2 others but that's the one that interested me.

Welcome to the site.

It's funny, I didn't like Oliver's art...until the Cable Arc. Before the Cable Arc, Paquette joining as artist was a step up. But now...I really can't get over how bulky Bobby got.

Great looking Rogue though.

Seeing X-Men disappear left and right in this comic...leads me to think we're close to a "All New, All Different Ultimate X-Men!" issue.

When he's Iceman he has his normal build. I guess Paquette decided that Bobby wears really baggy clothes.

I agree with the new guy about Rogue. Ultimate Rogue was a pretty forgettable character before. She was interesting when she showed up as a Weapon X agent as a homage to her 616 original role as a villain, but she just suddenly showed up in Return of the King as a good girl and had some minor speaking roles in most of the arcs. If not for the first UXM Annual and defeating Sinister in 'Tempest', Rogue would be the most underutilized character in the roster.

Last edited:
I don't like Rogue's character... After all she did as a villain, it doesn't make sense for her to be a good guy all of a sudden. I think it's poor writing on Millar's part, who actually turned her around. Hopefully, with Kirkman slimming down the number of cast members, he'll know how to handle Rogue. :)

I don't like Rogue's character... After all she did as a villain, it doesn't make sense for her to be a good guy all of a sudden. I think it's poor writing on Millar's part, who actually turned her around. Hopefully, with Kirkman slimming down the number of cast members, he'll know how to handle Rogue. :)

I think it's pretty accurate how they handled Rogue. The Brotherhood and followers of Magneto aren't "villains". They're mutants who were trying to group together with other mutants. Xavier's little club doesn't seem to be very good at gathering them up as Magneto sent out an open invitation. It's no surprise to see some of Weapon X initially hate "flatscan" humans upon their departure from the program.

Alright she could have been handled better in Return of the King. I agree with that. And Millar didn't quite understand Xavier's and Rogue's powers when he had Xavier say "I just amplified your powers by a factor of twelve."

Rogue was thrown in at the end of that arc and it felt like it. She even had parents that spoke to Xavier.

Poorly handled.

But I like Rogue, and I can only hope Robert makes her kick ***. She's not as hard to write as Angel would be...so...there ya go.

There are a lot of things that can be done with Angel at this point. Bendis introduced him in a very interesting situation and it's a shame he had to be written a way to the Academy of Tomorrow... Rogue is better suited there as she is only holding a place on the team. I don't see her serving a purpose at all. I'm sorry, but I don't like her character at all. At this point, it's too messy. And another thing, I don't like her with Iceman, either.

Latest posts

Back