Children of Men (Spoilers!)

compound

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_Men

Children of Men is a 2006 dystopian thriller film directed by Alfonso Cuarón. Children of Men is based on P.D. James's novel The Children of Men and stars Clive Owen, Julianne Moore and Michael Caine. Set in 2027 where no human child has been born for 18 years and science is at a loss to explain why, Children of Men envisions a world that has fallen into chaos as humankind faces the threat of its own extinction.

HOLY CRAP! Anybody here seen a trailer for this? It sounds awesome, like a cross between Y the Last Man , DMZ, and 28 Days Later (the human drama and societal breakdown aspect; not the zombie aspect). Click on the link for plot details (inlcuding spoilers).

Opens last week of the year, in the U.S., and apparently, it's already been released in the U.K.

Any of you Brits already seen it?

Re: Children of Men

I've seen the previews for it and I'm intrigued.....but I think I'll hold out for DVD and check it out in the comfort of my own home.

I'm pretty sure Millar saw it, and thought it was good.

Last edited:

I'm definitely going to see this one in theaters. I really like this kind of quasi scifi. If it gets good reviews, I'll probably go see it opening day.

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_Men

HOLY CRAP! Anybody here seen a trailer for this? It sounds awesome, like a cross between Y the Last Man , DMZ, and 28 Days Later (the human drama and societal breakdown aspect; not the zombie aspect). Click on the link for plot details (inlcuding spoilers).

Opens last week of the year, in the U.S., and apparently, it's already been released in the U.K.

Any of you Brits already seen it?
Yeah, I've seen a trailer and an in-depth review thing that a show here does quite frequently. They said something along the lines of "decent story, pretty well acted, a little disconnected but on the whole pretty good".

I might see it, I might not.

I saw this in theaters tonight. It was pretty good, I was surprised at the amount of humor in it,and it was very edge of your seat towards the end. Worth my money I thought.

Saw it on a date last night.

It's one of those movies that's extremely well done and then suddenly ends with almost no resolution, which kind of bites.

It deserves at least 3 Oscar Nominations very, very much: Best Director, Best Supporting Actor(Michael Caine), and Best Cinematography.

The best way I can describe the feel/plot of the movie is Schindler's List meets War of the Worlds.

I give it and 8/10.

Saw it on a date last night.

It's one of those movies that's extremely well done and then suddenly ends with almost no resolution, which kind of bites.

I think it worked for the movie. It certainly resolved the plot of the movie, which was getting the pregnant chick to the Human Project people, which did indeed happen at the very end. Sure, the main character died and it doesn't have a defined ending, but that fits the tone of the movie. All we know is they accomplished what they set out to do (on the surface, anyway). We don't know if this will cause others to become fertile again, etc. This works in tandem with the reason for the infertility never being addressed, either.

It deserves at least 3 Oscar Nominations very, very much: Best Director, Best Supporting Actor(Michael Caine), and Best Cinematography.

Definitly agree there. The cinematography was amazing. Some of the action scenes were just amazingly shot. The scene in the car, where Moore's character is shot by the guys on the motorcycle was amazingly filmed. The climactic battle scene at the end had me on the edge of my seat the entire time as well. It did a great job of drawing the viewer in and making you feel like you're actually there.

The best way I can describe the feel/plot of the movie is Schindler's List meets War of the Worlds.

??

I think Compound's comparison to Y - The Last Man, and some reviewer's comparison to Blade Runner are more apt.

I give it and 8/10.

I really enjoyed it. I give it a 10/10. Its the first movie in a long while that I've seen which really impressed me on all levels. The story, acting, direction, scope...all extremely well done.

Besides, how could I not like a movie which features something like Strawberry Cough?

??

I think Compound's comparison to Y - The Last Man, and some reviewer's comparison to Blade Runner are more apt.

Never seen Y and I don't get the Blade Runner similarities at all.

My comparison, Schindler's List meets War of the Worlds stems from the similarites to the concentration camp scenes in Schindler, the cinematography, and the frequent instances of someone being held at gun point by soldiers and then mercilisley shot, and the world-as-an-anarchistic war-zone filled with rubble, dust, and destroyed towns.

It's just a general impression based on the feel of the movie, not the plot.

i watched it last night. when leaving the theater i thought this is my most satisfying movie going experience since Batman Begins.

i thought the ending was pretty much right on.

much like how 28 days later felt like it could possibly be a real future Children of Men did the same thing. Even more so. I could imagine a bleak world that is depicted possibly happening.

Never seen Y and I don't get the Blade Runner similarities at all.

More stylistic similarities than plot similarities in the case of Blade Runner. It wasn't as colorful and over-the-top as Blade Runner, but it did an amazing job of giving a glimpse of a very possible future (in terms of the setting, not necessarily us all becoming infertile). The interesting live video advertisements of a society crumbling from within in the various backgrounds. The car bodies, etc. Nothing drastic (like Blade Runner), but different enough to keep reminding you this isn't our time. And if you've never read Y - The Last Man, check it out. Its what got my girlfriend into comic books.

My comparison, Schindler's List meets War of the Worlds stems from the similarites to the concentration camp scenes in Schindler, the cinematography, and the frequent instances of someone being held at gun point by soldiers and then mercilisley shot, and the world-as-an-anarchistic war-zone filled with rubble, dust, and destroyed towns.

Understood. I think we're just making to comparisons to different aspects of the movie.

It's just a general impression based on the feel of the movie, not the plot.

Ditto.

Latest posts

Back