Classic vs Modern: Which look is the best for Beast?

Which design/look for Beast is better?

• Total voters

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Lately at my local comic shop, my friend who owns it, another friend and I have been talking about which look for Beast is better: the classic look where he's more "ape" looking or the modern one where he's more "cat". Don't remember if this has been brought up on the board before, I know I've had discussions with ProjectX2 about it before. Either way, I'm in favor of the cat look. I think it's a better design, but also works towards building character development as it was done when Morrison did it back in New X-Men as his secondary mutation.

There's a video thing from Marvel that they've done with MTV and in it Bendis says that if he had his way, he'd make Beast go back to his classic look. Some people in Marvel agree with him, others (like X-Men line editor Nick Lowe) do not and have said Beast is going to stay the way he looks now.

But what does everyone else think? Classic Ape or Modern Cat?

Classic:
Picture1-22.png

Modern:
250px-Beastastonishing.jpg

I'm serious when I say the original human look is the best.

I'm going to say classic ape. I didn't really get what the point of turning him into a cat was. Besides making it more reasonable that Emma survived the genocide at Genosha. Did anyone else beside the two of them get secondary mutations?

I'm going to say classic ape. I didn't really get what the point of turning him into a cat was. Besides making it more reasonable that Emma survived the genocide at Genosha. Did anyone else beside the two of them get secondary mutations?

Magneto claimed that his secondary mutation was that he always came back, or something to that effect. I loved that line.

Captain Canuck said:

The point was that he was becoming even more "less human." Morrison did great work with this and developing Beast's character further than anyone had done in a long time.

There were some others that went through secondary mutations. One was Archangel, or now Angel again, were his blood became a cute of sorts. It would help heap people, but to an extent. There was also Iceman were he was turning into permanent ice, though that was later reversed with House of M.

Classic ape like... It gives him a human feel instead of a hybrid...

The point was that he was becoming even more "less human." Morrison did great work with this and developing Beast's character further than anyone had done in a long time.

There were some others that went through secondary mutations. One was Archangel, or now Angel again, were his blood became a cute of sorts. It would help heap people, but to an extent. There was also Iceman were he was turning into permanent ice, though that was later reversed with House of M.

I understand the character development angle, but I feel he could have done that without mutating him again. Basically his mutation made him more feral and took away some of his dexterity b/c he now had paws instead of fingers. But really, the only other mutant who had lasting "secondary mutations" was Emma. The rest of it has been disregarded and ignored.

(and angel's blood became a cute? Do you mean a cure?)

Captain Canuck said:
I understand the character development angle, but I feel he could have done that without mutating him again. Basically his mutation made him more feral and took away some of his dexterity b/c he now had paws instead of fingers. But really, the only other mutant who had lasting "secondary mutations" was Emma. The rest of it has been disregarded and ignored.

(and angel's blood became a cute? Do you mean a cure?)

Sure, it could've been done without a further mutation, but that further mutation really drove in the point, especially of the things you said: paws, loss of dexterity, etc.

And yes, I meant cure. Typed it on my iPhone and auto correct probably did that.

Latest posts

Back