cloning trees!

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
NEW YORK - Squat, homely, dwarfed by stately oaks and poplars, and unnoticed by the tourists passing in horse-drawn carriages, it's a tree that only birds and nut-hungry squirrels could love.

But the 100-year-old European beech on Central Park's Cherry Hill was the center of attention Thursday, chosen by city officials as the first of 25 "historical" trees to be cloned as part of a plan to add a million new trees to public spaces over the next decade.

Agriculture students from a Queens high school rode hydraulic-powered tree-trimmers' buckets to upper branches of the 60-foot tree and snipped off 6- to 12-inch sections of new growth, which will be sent to a scientific tree nursery in eastern Oregon. If all goes well, the genetic-match saplings will return in two years to be replanted as part of the "Million Trees NYC" project announced last year.

"We want to break the stereotype of New York as skyscrapers and sidewalks," Parks Commissioner Adrian Benape said. "New York abounds in historical trees."

The target trees, five in each of New York's five boroughs, include nine different species. All were selected by borough foresters as historical for having existed for at least a century — either as fixtures of the urban landscape or as having special significance to local communities.

More here http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080111/ap_on_sc/cloning_trees

I would have put this in weird news thread BUT i didn't see it as weird just more like interesting , I didn't know they could clone trees , Logically this should lead to stuff like repairing the rainforests right?

The only part I don't quiet understand is this maybe a stupid thing but , Say a dog urinated on the tree and they clone it wont it have dog dna mixed in? not saying i expect to see a dog-tree just something that made say hmmmm

but regardless this is a pretty bold and interesting move imo

Dude, cloning plants is so easy.

All you do is take a branch, cut it off the main tree, and plant it into the ground. It's the same technique that's used to grow seedless grapevines.

This is cause Trees can reproduce assexually, likeameobas and earthworms. YOu just spilt a part of it, and it will grow and have the same DNA as the main part.

Dude, cloning plants is so easy.

All you do is take a branch, cut it off the main tree, and plant it into the ground. It's the same technique that's used to grow seedless grapevines.

This is cause Trees can reproduce assexually, likeameobas and earthworms. YOu just spilt a part of it, and it will grow and have the same DNA as the main part.

Cool , Wasn't sure on how they did it or what involved , but I still find it interesting

Haven't they been cloning trees for years and years?

probably , I still enjoyed the link though and the plan to make new york have more trees , and the idea of cloning famous trees is kinda cool too

There's no DNA in your pee, Mole...

probably , I still enjoyed the link though and the plan to make new york have more trees , and the idea of cloning famous trees is kinda cool too
"Cloning famous trees?"

"Why yes, imagine if we could clone the tree that inspired Isaac Newton's Theory of Gravity!"

"Cloning FAMOUS trees?"

"Indeed, perhaps a tree most noteworthy for having appeared on the Mary Tyler Moore show!"

"Famous TREES?"

"Maybe a tree which Benji urinated on?"

"Cloning famous trees?"

"Why yes, imagine if we could clone the tree that inspired Isaac Newton's Theory of Gravity!"

"Cloning FAMOUS trees?"

"Indeed, perhaps a tree most noteworthy for having appeared on the Mary Tyler Moore show!"

"Famous TREES?"

"Maybe a tree which Benji urinated on?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ok fine historical trees then :p

Yes there is Moons

But it's so degraded that to get a full strand of it would be difficult.
Really? I thought urine was just waste? Or does it pick up skin cells or something "on the way out"?

Latest posts

Back