Comic Book Characters and Their Religious Beliefs

In all seriousness, though, it kind of really pisses me off...

Religion: Catholic, and GAY

reasoning: Because obviously being Gay means one can't be Catholic, as everyone in the Church believes eeeverything any pope has ever said....

*rolls eyes*

Last edited:
Dr.Strangefate said:
In all seriousness, though, it kind of really pisses me off...

Religion: Catholic, and GAY

reasoning: Because obviously being Gay means one can't be Catholic, as everyone in the Church believes eeeverything any pope has ever said....

*rolls eyes*

Is Catholic and straight, but still has issues with a number of Church teachings and practices. And I will stop there before I really get going.

Back on thread topic....

This is being discussed over at Millarworld as well. In some ways, I wish this list had been compiled in alphabetical order by character, rather than grouping people by religious affiliation, as it makes it more difficult to locate a character if you don't know his/her faith.

Some items I found interesting:
  • the sidebar comment on the large number of Episcopal comic book characters.
  • God and Jesus have both shown up as comic book characters, playing themselves, apparently
  • J. Jonah Jameson's religion listed as "hates Spider-Man".
  • And what on Earth is a "Jewish Catholic"?

Is it my imagination, or is there a much greater expression of religion in general in the 616 Marvel universe than in the Ultimate Marvel Universe? About the only UMarvel characters I remember as showing any kind of religious background are Captain America, Thor (well, obviously, right?) and Rogue. Am I missing anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
well it all comes from the writers, and DC seems to have a greater number of religiously active comic writers these days...

Seldes Katne said:
And what on Earth is a "Jewish Catholic"?

I know a guy who is a Jewish Catholic. He's a Jew who doesn't practice Judism - Catholicism (sp?) instead.

Assuming most of these heroes are based in the States, isn't the proportion of Catholic and Jewish heroes completely disproportionate compared to the protestant heroes (various denomination)? The Jewish heroes certainly are and the Catholic might be but I'm not sure. The muslim heroes on the other hand... Or villains for that matter. They're nowhere to ne seen.

One thing for sure, the proportion of heroes who follow the old Greek Pantheon is completely out of whack with that of the rest of the population! ;)

Very few atheist though. And the proportion is far higher amongst villain than heroes...

I'm an atheist and I'm not evil! Well, not with a capital E. I mean... Oh never mind.

---

Who is the gay catholic superhero? Can't see him.

Anyway, adding 'gay' to the description is as valid as adding 'Devout', or 'Lapsed'. Obviously a gay catholic has some reconciliation to do so it's a noteworthy detail.

I mean, have you read the bible? Not always a happy go lucky book and quite explicit about what God thinks of homosexuality.

Gays, feminists and pretty much any liberal need to take some creative licence with their interpretation of the Good Book in order to reconciliate their spiritual and personal beliefs. It's hard work! I abandoned it years ago (I was raised a catholic).

Last edited:
Mods, if I'm pulling this thread too far off topic, feel free to delete my post, okay?

E said:
I know a guy who is a Jewish Catholic. He's a Jew who doesn't practice Judism - Catholicism (sp?) instead.
And here the Jewish guy I dated for three years and almost married didn't think this was possible.

I'd be interested in talking to this guy and getting his rationale on that. From what I know of both faiths, they seem to be divergent in some pretty key areas, so I'm not sure how you could practice both. (And yes, I have heard of Jews for Jesus.) Unless you consider Judaism to be a race in addition to being a religion. I know some people treat it that way -- if you're born Jewish, you're a Jew for life, no matter whether you decide to convert to something else or are lapsed or whatever.

E.Vi.L. said:
Anyway, adding 'gay' to the description is as valid as adding 'Devout', or 'Lapsed'. Obviously a gay catholic has some reconciliation to do so it's a noteworthy detail.

I mean, have you read the bible? Not always a happy go lucky book and quite explicit about what God thinks of homosexuality.

Gays, feminists and pretty much any liberal need to take some creative licence with their interpretation of the Good Book in order to reconciliate their spiritual and personal beliefs. It's hard work!
Yes, as a matter of fact, I have read the Bible. (In fact, I started attending a Bible-study group not long ago.) I agree, it can be a challenge dealing with either of the Testaments from a feminist point of view. Perhaps someday I'll Ultimize the New Testament and give some of the apostles and other folks a gender-switch. :wink:

E.Vi.L. said:
Very few atheist though. And the proportion is far higher amongst villain than heroes...
The person/people who created the site commented that atheism didn't necessarily lead someone to become a villain, but a large portion of villains did seem to be atheists for various reasons. (Or words to that effect.)

Seldes Katne said:
Unless you consider Judaism to be a race in addition to being a religion.

I don't know what's "politically correct" but yes, that's how.

Seldes Katne said:
Yes, as a matter of fact, I have read the Bible. (In fact, I started attending a Bible-study group not long ago.) I agree, it can be a challenge dealing with either of the Testaments from a feminist point of view. Perhaps someday I'll Ultimize the New Testament and give some of the apostles and other folks a gender-switch. :wink:

:lol:

I'd read that!

Seldes Katne said:
Unless you consider Judaism to be a race in addition to being a religion. I know some people treat it that way -- if you're born Jewish, you're a Jew for life, no matter whether you decide to convert to something else or are lapsed or whatever.

Culture would be more appropriate than race. Racially speaking, I doubt there is a genetic difference between a jew who has lived a few generation in the same country and his geographical neighbor. Too much interbreeding. Which is obvious when you think about it ; if Jews had remained an homogeneous race for the past 2 or 3 thousand years, they'd still look like Palestinians. Logically.

And I know a few jew who are jewish only by culture, not by religion. Same can be said about Catholics, to a lesser extent. Catholics from a geographical area have a lot of common, culturally speaking, even if they stop practicing or become atheist altogether.

Last edited:
Is it my imagination, or is there a much greater expression of religion in general in the 616 Marvel universe than in the Ultimate Marvel Universe? About the only UMarvel characters I remember as showing any kind of religious background are Captain America, Thor (well, obviously, right?) and Rogue. Am I missing anyone?

Kitty is Jewish. And judging by the usage of Yiddish so is everyone else in Ultimate Spider-Man.

Kitty is Jewish. And judging by the usage of Yiddish so is everyone else in Ultimate Spider-Man.

Well, we're talking about Bendis here.

EDIT: That wasn't a sarcastic remark or anything, either. I mean, Bendis is Jewish, so he throws Jewish phrases into the book. Just like a Christian writer would write a lot of his characters as Christian or throw around the term "God" a lot.

Last edited:
So I'm not going to brag or anything but my religion is the same as Jimmy Olsen. AKA myself an Jimmy are the most important religion in all of the DC Universe.

Latest posts

Back