Comic Book Continuity - Good or bad?

Does continuity hurt comics - whether for new or current readers?

• Total voters
Ennis' run on Punisher MAX is the perfect example of continuity.

Each arc can, essentially, be read without having to go online and research previous characters and events. Early on each arc was pretty stand alone. All you needed to know was the basis of the Punisher character: "Family killed....one man war against all criminals." Simple.

A reader could jump Slavers arc to Kitchen Irish arc to 'Cuda arc without having to follow the standard "start with issue #1 and get caught up from there".

But at the same time, Ennis began to build on previous events from his stories and craft new stories that tied into one another. The intro of O'Brien in Vol.1 - In The Beginning and her being brought back during Up Is Down, Black Is White was brilliantly tied into Mother Russia and then into Man of Stone all while the events of Barracuda played into Long Cold Dark which brought back O'Brien as well as Yorkie from Kitchen Irish. Culminating in Ennis' Punisher swansong called Valley Forge, in which he tied in Born, In the Beginning, Kitchen Irish, Up Is Down Black Is White, Mother Russia, and Man of Stone. ]

His whole run is ****ing beautiful and the perfect example of how continuity, used properly, can enrichen a story.

I think continuity matters to an extent. For instance, Peter Parker was infected by a radiated spider (Pick your universe). This fact doesn't change every issue. Gwen stacy died (Screw you UU) and it remained that way.

In those instances, continuity matters. But as for basic dates, or even nicknames, continuity is not as important.

But in regards to the other half of the CBR article, i feel with the large universe wide arcs (Secret invasion, world war hulk, civil war, disassmbled, etc.) make comics very near impossible for the average/new reader to keep up with their favorite characters. Lets look at spider-man. He has his own serieses (3) plus he flits in and out of New Avengers. For a new reader, there is way to much to keep up with to understand things that are mentioned in the books.

I don't know how that ties into the poll, but it was on my mind.

Last edited:
But in regards to the other half of the CBR article, i feel with the large universe wide arcs (Secret invasion, world war hulk, civil war, disassmbled, etc.) make comics very near impossible for the average/new reader to keep up with their favorite characters. Lets look at spider-man. He has his own serieses (3) plus he flits in and out of New Avengers. For a new reader, there is way to much to keep up with to understand things that are mentioned in the books.

I don't know how that ties into the poll, but it was on my mind.

I agree, solo titles should sick to their own stories with only mentions of the crossovers, maybe a special arc.

Just my opinion, but readers that shy too far away from continuity tend not to be attracted to this medium for the long haul (I know, you are saying, 'that's because its TOO continuity heavy).

I actually find that the type of personality drawn to comics tend to be the kind that obsess over little details of character and art. Therefore, continuity tends not to be a problem, but rather a challenge in which we (in general) happily immerse ourselves.

Having everything explained every issue (I know that's an extreme, and not what is being suggested) can have the effect of alienating those that DO want continuity. Its an interesting dilemma, but ultimately, I think continuity has to be respected.

Just my opinion, but readers that shy too far away from continuity tend not to be attracted to this medium for the long haul (I know, you are saying, 'that's because its TOO continuity heavy).

I actually find that the type of personality drawn to comics tend to be the kind that obsess over little details of character and art. Therefore, continuity tends not to be a problem, but rather a challenge in which we (in general) happily immerse ourselves.

Having everything explained every issue (I know that's an extreme, and not what is being suggested) can have the effect of alienating those that DO want continuity. Its an interesting dilemma, but ultimately, I think continuity has to be respected.

Thank You

From a Marvel panel from BCC08:

Bendis said he often asks himself, "Why do I want to tell this story?" "What am I hoping to accomplish?" He'd planned for Ronin to be Matt Murdock in "New Avengers," but ultimately decided it wasn't the time. Bedis said he'd love to put Daredevil in the Avengers, but not now.

That led into a discussion of how Daredevil seems removed from the rest of the Marvel Universe, which led to the subject of continuity. "Continuity is a double-edged sword," said Brevoort. "It can keep out people who don't follow this stuff, but it's the ultimate catnip for those of us who do."

"You don't have to mention the continuity all the time, " said Slott, "but you shouldn't contradict it. Continuity can't be the be-all and end-all of the story." This statement won Slott a round of applause.

Latest posts

Back