Comic book movies and reboots

The Overlord

Since it seems that reboots are becoming a more prominent thing in comic book movies, I thought it would be interesting to discuss reboots, when a reboot is needed, what franchises should be rebooted.

Its pretty clear that Batman and Iron Man don't need a reboot at this point.

I also think its clear that the Superman and Fantastic four movies do need a reboot, Superman has way too much baggage from the last film and frankly the FF movies were never good, they screwed up several key points.

I don't think the X-Men movies need a reboot, because they can focus on prequels instead of sequels. I'm also not sure the Spider-Man movies need a reboot. It may be a good idea to reboot Daredevil.

I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to the last Hulk movie, since it was already rebooted, it doesn't need another reboot.

And frankly I don't care if they reboot Ghost Rider or not.

Well then, that was a pretty good discussion.

In all seriousness, I would love to see a Daredevil remake maybe even with Ben Affleck reprising his role just so he could do the character some justice this time around.

FF reboot - put Deadpool on the team
Spider-Man reboot - it should be about Deadpool instead of Spider-Man
Superman reboot - Deadpool!

FF reboot - put Deadpool on the team
Spider-Man reboot - it should be about Deadpool instead of Spider-Man
Superman reboot - Deadpool!

I feel like a Deadpool Corps film has been overdue for a long, long time. I mean, they announced the comic series, like, what, three months ago?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, HOLLYWOOD!?

Fantastic Four - needs a reboot. Bad. It's too big of a Marvel property to let fall to the wayside. But they need to go ape****, crazy, huge with it! I'm talking absurd Mark Millar's F4 big! And John Hamm is Reed Richards!

Spider-Man - needs a softboot much like they did with The Hulk series. Don't take him back to HS. Make him an adult. Perhaps a substitue science teacher who freelances with the Daily Bugle as their photographer? Go ahead and keep his relationship with MJ....but don't make them married. They should be very serious again....but not married. And instead of calling it Spider-Man 4 or just Spider-Man: Web of Deception or something crazy like....call it The Amazing Spider-Man.

Daredevil - such a great character with so much drama made for the screen! On one hand I want to see this softbooted with a more serious tone....but on the other hand, there is so much to tell with Murdock that a film series would kind of be wasted. Instead I'm thinking a regualr TV series of Daredevil would be amazing. There's very little CGI that is needed (mostly with him leaping from rooftop to rooftop). The rest is great choreographed fightscenes and gritty courtroom drama/mystery.

Hulk - is actually on the right track. Keep the franchise going as is (maybe a little better CGI...make Hulk big like in the Ang Lee version and not so "ripped" like the 2nd film).

Ghost Rider - let it go Marvel. Not all your characters need to come to the silver screen. Especially ones that don't even do well in comic books format!

X-Men - This one could go either way. On one hand you could go reboot route and make the team more about CYCLOPS and his team instead of fanboy fave Wolverine. On the other hand, you could go prequel route and make films dating before the 1st film...but unfortunately you're confined by the existing film continuity. Or you could travel down the 3rd road and just continue the films with an all-new cast...keeping the existing continuity and find a way to bring Cyclops back and follow one of the MANY X-Men stories from the comics.

Punisher - doesn't need to be rebooted for the big screen. It needs to become an HBO series and closely follow the MAX comic series. Keep Ray Stevenson since he actually made a good Castle and just have his character mirror the gritty, weary Castle from the comic. No armor...no Micro...no Jigsaw...no silly white boots/gloves. Just Frank...guns...mobsters. If HBO followed the MAX series to the T....they could easily get 3-4 seasons out of the show. Oh to see Terry Crews or Jamal Duff as Cuda on screen...........

Fantastic Four - needs a reboot. Bad. It's too big of a Marvel property to let fall to the wayside. But they need to go ape****, crazy, huge with it! I'm talking absurd Mark Millar's F4 big! And John Hamm is Reed Richards!

Spider-Man - needs a softboot much like they did with The Hulk series. Don't take him back to HS. Make him an adult. Perhaps a substitue science teacher who freelances with the Daily Bugle as their photographer? Go ahead and keep his relationship with MJ....but don't make them married. They should be very serious again....but not married. And instead of calling it Spider-Man 4 or just Spider-Man: Web of Deception or something crazy like....call it The Amazing Spider-Man.

Daredevil - such a great character with so much drama made for the screen! On one hand I want to see this softbooted with a more serious tone....but on the other hand, there is so much to tell with Murdock that a film series would kind of be wasted. Instead I'm thinking a regualr TV series of Daredevil would be amazing. There's very little CGI that is needed (mostly with him leaping from rooftop to rooftop). The rest is great choreographed fightscenes and gritty courtroom drama/mystery.

Hulk - is actually on the right track. Keep the franchise going as is (maybe a little better CGI...make Hulk big like in the Ang Lee version and not so "ripped" like the 2nd film).

Ghost Rider - let it go Marvel. Not all your characters need to come to the silver screen. Especially ones that don't even do well in comic books format!

X-Men - This one could go either way. On one hand you could go reboot route and make the team more about CYCLOPS and his team instead of fanboy fave Wolverine. On the other hand, you could go prequel route and make films dating before the 1st film...but unfortunately you're confined by the existing film continuity. Or you could travel down the 3rd road and just continue the films with an all-new cast...keeping the existing continuity and find a way to bring Cyclops back and follow one of the MANY X-Men stories from the comics.

Punisher - doesn't need to be rebooted for the big screen. It needs to become an HBO series and closely follow the MAX comic series. Keep Ray Stevenson since he actually made a good Castle and just have his character mirror the gritty, weary Castle from the comic. No armor...no Micro...no Jigsaw...no silly white boots/gloves. Just Frank...guns...mobsters. If HBO followed the MAX series to the T....they could easily get 3-4 seasons out of the show. Oh to see Terry Crews or Jamal Duff as Cuda on screen...........

Have you not read Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider? It is brilliance.

Have you not read Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider? It is brilliance.

It's true!

A Robert Rodriguez directed Ghost Rider would be simply brilliant.

Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider IS on my list to read in trade when I get back. But as it stands now, I just don't see Ghost Rider as a viable film property. At length, the most I would approve of him being transferred to screen would be a weekly horror/mystery show like Supernatural on SyFy channel.

Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider IS on my list to read in trade when I get back. But as it stands now, I just don't see Ghost Rider as a viable film property. At length, the most I would approve of him being transferred to screen would be a weekly horror/mystery show like Supernatural on SyFy channel.

Dude... That would just be atrocious....

Marvel needs to give the franchise to a director with grindhouse sensibilities who's not afraid to make a film that's silly and grisly at the same time. As long as they don't try to make it into a superhero movie, it could be great.

Last edited:
I want a B.P.R.D reboot. The Hellboy movie continuity needs to be dropped. No ***** Abe, no bad german stereotype Johan and no Liz hellspawn twins. Who ever designs Del Torro's monsters needs to be kept on board though.

Latest posts

Back