Comic books for 10-year-olds

Okay, so lets say someone asked you for your recommendation for a comic book or graphic novel for a 10-year-old. Something that's not too graphic or gory, but also something that isn't going to feel like a "Kids" comic (because all 10-year-olds seem to want is grown up things). What would you suggest?

I've tried to suggest a few things in the past but always had the sense to re-read them first, only to find that someone gets impaled halfway through the story (looking at you, Ultimate Spider-man).

I wrote up a list of what I would recommend here, but I want to know what you all think as well!

I would ask that person what the reader's interests are. Superheroes? Fantasy? Talking animals? General slice of life stories? Historical fiction? Non-fiction? The number and range of graphic novels has exploded in the last 15 years, so there's someone for everyone.

I'm not a work at the moment, but when I get a few minutes this afternoon I'll look at my library's collection and see what I can recommend.

Okay, just did a quick walk-though of our J Room graphic novel collection. Let's start with these:

• Avatar the Last Airbender has three or four follow-up series that take place immediately following the animated series' end. It of course helps if you've seen the show.
  • The Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi is a self-contained fantasy series. It's pretty popular here.
  • The Courageous Princess trilogy, by Rod Espinosa.
  • If you can get ahold of the Marvel Adventures graphic novels, they are all-ages friendly without being "dumbed down for kids." The art is comparable to regular comics (as opposed to being "cutsey"). Ditto with Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers, by Chris Eliopoulos
  • The Eric Shannower adaptations of the Oz books
  • Big Nate books by Lincoln Peirce
  • Dog Man series, by Dav Pilkey. (He also wrote the Captain Underpants series, but I actually like this one.)

Latest posts

Back