ComicBookResources posts 3 page preview of Ultimate X-Men #66

Hi-Fi

[IMGL]http://ultimatecentral.com/cov/UXM066.jpg[/IMGL] CBR posts a three page preview of Ultimate X-Men #66 (By Robert Kirkman & Tom Raney). This issue begins Kirkman's 9 issue run with the "Date Night" story arc.

The original solicitation reads:

ULTIMATE X-MEN #66
Written by ROBERT KIRKMAN
Pencils & Cover by TOM RANEY
"DATE NIGHT" Part 1 (of 3)

After the events of Magnetic North and their recent encounter with the master of magnetism, our heroes kick back for a night on the town with their significant others. But who or what is The Magician and how is he going to wreck their plans? Meanwhile, Wolverine runs into an old teammate who's out for revenge... Join new Ultimate X-Men writer Robert Kirkman and Ultimate Secret's Tom Raney as they take the Ultimate Universe's favorite mutants to dazzling new heights!
32 PGS./T+ SUGGESTED FOR TEENS AND UP...$2.50
In Stores: 01-11-2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: First Three Pages of Ultimate X-Men 66

looks pretty sexy. i like how the kids look like kids.

Re: First Three Pages of Ultimate X-Men 66

iceman said:
looks pretty sexy. i like how the kids look like kids.

Bobby looks too much like a kid, but the rest is fine.

Re: ComicBookResources posts 3 page preview of Ultimate X-Men 66.

Meh, Raney. I'm not a fan.

Xavier demonstrating telekenetic acts?

Meh.

Xavier has some telekinetic abilities.

We've known that Xavier has had telekinetic powers, though. We've known since the Hellfire and Brimstone arc when Xavier levitates his wheelchair over the Hellfire Club's grand staircase. He's just not nearly as powerful with it as Jean is.

As for the preview, I can't really say much about it. It's only three pages, and there's no words yet. Still, it should be a good arc as long as they don't mess with Nightcrawler's character.

I'm not a big fan of Tom Raney's art, but I really, really liked his work in the annual. I think it was the combination of the inks and colors in the Vegas settings that worked for me, because the last few pages with Bobby looked pretty odd.
His work in Ultimate Secret was very..."meh" for me. But that was because he had just followed Steve friggin' McNiven and he may have been told to rush things a little cos the series was late. Also, I don't think he had the same inking and coloring team as either McNiven or the one he had in the UXM Annual, so it really stole from his work a lot.

His artwork here looks pretty good, but still not on par with the Vegas scenes. Scott looks pretty cool, but Xavier has a weird onion head. Kitty looks good, but Logan looks like he's had some kind of neck muscle mass increase injections or something.
Don't even get me started on Kurt! So...anyone else wonder what the dialogue is?

Page One:
Cyclops: Uh...Professor? Oh...whoa!

Page Two:
Panel One:
Cyclops: What the heck are you doing...sir?
Professor X: Don't panic, Scott. This is just my specially-designed head shiner.
Panel Two:
Professor X: It keeps me glowing.
Panel Three:
Cyclops: Uh...a head shiner, huh? Riiiight.
Panel Four:
Professor X: If you'll move aside so I can do this quick-angle-changing move I've been practicing with my wheelchair...
Panel Five:
Cyclops: Nice.
Professor X: Yes, well, I HAVE been working on it for six months.
Panel Six:
Cyclops: SIX MONTHS!?
Panel Seven:
Professor X: Don't sound so surprised, Scott. I have to do something while you kids are out getting killed.
Panel Eight:
Cyclops: Oh...so what else do you do when we're not around?
Professor X: I...uh...
Panel Nine:
Cyclops: Hmm?
Professor X: ...I collect stamps.

Page Three:
Panel One:
Kitty: Oh, Professor! Like, there you are. Listen, could you do something about the weird hair punks around here...they're really, like, starting to, like, bug me.
Panel Two:
Kitty: And Wolverine kinda smells funny too.
Panel Three:
Professor X: I've just mentally suggested that they go visit the outdoor petting zoo.
Panel Four:
Kitty: Gag me with a spoon! You're, like, the greatest ever!
Panel Five:
Professor X: I shall continue my...um..."probing" in here.
Cyclops: So...um...there's a petting zoo out here?
Kitty: Duh! I mean, haven't you see the cute, little blue furry monkey?
Panel Six:
Cyclops: We have a blue monkey?
Kitty: Yep! There he is over there.
Kurt: Could someone please just help me here? I have a stiff neck.
Bobby: Mmmmm. Ice cream!

Lynx said:
We've known that Xavier has had telekinetic powers, though. We've known since the Hellfire and Brimstone arc when Xavier levitates his wheelchair over the Hellfire Club's grand staircase. He's just not nearly as powerful with it as Jean is.

As for the preview, I can't really say much about it. It's only three pages, and there's no words yet. Still, it should be a good arc as long as they don't mess with Nightcrawler's character.
So Nightcrawler's off limits, but everyone else is fair game, right?

Lynx said:

Didn't he also save the president's life with his telekenetics powers as early as the first arc?

I'm not at home right now, but I remember that Magneto tried to crush the president with a car and Xavier split it in too. Considering his limited strenght in this field and the panel, I assumed he just made a telekinetic ''wedge'' and let magneto's do the grunt work of pushing the car through it, thus splitting it in half.

E.Vi.L. said:
Didn't he also save the president's life with his telekenetics powers as early as the first arc?

I'm not at home right now, but I remember that Magneto tried to crush the president with a car and Xavier split it in too. Considering his limited strenght in this field and the panel, I assumed he just made a telekinetic ''wedge'' and let magneto's do the grunt work of pushing the car through it, thus splitting it in half.

That is true.

I don't think I'm going to like Raney's run on UXM. I hate the way he draws Nightcrawler. He looks like he's starving to death.

Nas-T! said:
So Nightcrawler's off limits, but everyone else is fair game, right?

Not quite what I meant, I'm afraid. I said Nightcrawler due to his "connection" with Colossus that was mentioned in the solicit of UXM 68.

E.Vi.L said:

I forgot about that, actually. But still, it only furthers my point that this isn't the first time we've seen Xavier use telekinesis.

Last edited:
I'm not really a fan of Raney's either. His faces are a lot alike and he's inconsistant with how characters are built. Oh, well... I wouldn't say he's as bad as Finch.

Looks like an interesting little scene here. We need to cool down and get back to the characters after what went down in Magnetic North. I do believe the interaction between Cyclops and Xavier is necessary and it's good to see Jean's not at his side. Also, it's just good to see characters (Kitty) in good spirits, while others have their own problems (Seemingly Kurt). Great stuff. Can't wait for Kirkman to hop on. I really get the feeling it'll seem like Vaughan never left with this guy. :)

Latest posts

Back