Comics FOR Women. (Non-Superhero Preferred)

This thread is essentially - "What's a really good comic? Not a good superhero comic or one you like because the characters in it are 40 years old. It's just good."

Not that there's anything WRONG about that though... ^____^

This thread is essentially - "What's a really good comic? Not a good superhero comic or one you like because the characters in it are 40 years old. It's just good."
LOL, true. But if it was phrased that way people would bring up the usual books anyway, with the only condition being that superheroes aren't involved.

Incidentally, when you said 'characters in it are 40 years old,' I read that literally, as in alternative comix --- spelled with an x --- that focus on whining post-boomers experiencing their fortysomething angst.

I gave my mom Batman: Year One to read and she loved it. Afterwards, she wanted to watch Batman Begins again. She'd thought it was okay the first time she'd seen it, but this time she thought it was fantastic.

Soon after, I got The Long Halloween, and since I was busy with school reading for a little while, she actually read it before I did.

One time, my Mom read through one of my Punisher MAX trades. She loved it. And by loved it, I mean never took me to the comic store again.

I've lent Cute Bartender Alpha a few comics. Mainly Vertigo/horror stuff in the Swamp Thing/Hellblazer vein. Dunno if she's enjoyed them, it was only a few days ago.

Hmmm......while I'd like to contribute to the thread....I'm not exactly sure how other than some small suggestions. But even then---I can't help but feel a little biased or sexist by placing a book into a specific genre when it might not exactly belong there.

I don't think it's unfair to say that the female demographic and the male demographic have tendencies towards liking certain things over others. I don't think a book that "appeals to women" needs to be the comic book equivalent of chick flicks, though.

Victor Von Doom said:
And why is that wrong? Can't I, as red-blooded American male say that I love "Family Stone" or "Love Actually"? Crap....I kinda went off on an off-topic tangent.

No. You don't. If you say that, we take your card away.

Victor Von Doom said:
In a vain attempt of trying to contribute.....I think Gail Simone's "Welcome to Tranquility" is awesome.

Yes! That's what I was going to say. I thought I was the only one who read the book.

Crossing Midnight, too.

In further news, my mom really liked Pride of Baghdad, and psycho-ex-girlfriend loved Fables. But she's psychotic, so who knows if that goes for the whole demographic?

Last edited:
Cross bronx, read it.. LOVED IT!!! i can't pick up anything BKV for the life of me. I know I said i wanted to get into runaways but everytime i see it now, i can't get into it. fell, looked ok. DMZ is a good read as well. I've only read one issue but im getting tpb soon. I'm not that big a fan of anything wildstorm really. Fables looks annoying and Ex machina doesn't really interest me. However 100 bullets concept struck at me. I liked the whole briefcase thing with the option of killing the one you hated most.

To add a bit more, I hate that everytime i visit the store there's always a girl who only gets Runaways, because she scared of picking up another title. Oh no, don't wanna waste 2.50. Try it already, flip through it at least. Just don't knock it.

Last edited:
I don't think it's unfair to say that the female demographic and the male demographic have tendencies towards liking certain things over others. I don't think a book that "appeals to women" needs to be the comic book equivalent of chick flicks, though.

Point. I mean obviously there are some books that are geared towards men automatically and if women like them, then all the merrier. I guess I'm just not looking at the question properly.

Since I have a broad general knowledge about comics--I approached the topic at hand with a more "If I was a girl--what comics would you recommend for me?" vibe.

And since I don't like to generalize, I try to find out the specfic interests of the individual and go from there. It's the salesman in me.

No. You don't. If you say that, we take your card away.

Well, technically, I never said that I did. I was speaking hypothetically. Those films are for icky girls.

:shifty:

Yes! That's what I was going to say. I thought I was the only one who read the book.

No...there's only a few of us who do. Off the top of my head I believe Skotti does. And I think Twilight.....maybe.

But it is an awesome book that I would definitely recommend to any female reader.

No...there's only a few of us who do. Off the top of my head I believe Skotti does. And I think Twilight.....maybe.

But it is an awesome book that I would definitely recommend to any female reader.

I ADORE that book, I loved the little crossover with Gen13 and the Authority in Gen13.

"Quiet....or papa spank"

I also read Welcome to Tranquility.

In further news, my mom really liked Pride of Baghdad, and psycho-ex-girlfriend loved Fables. But she's psychotic, so who knows if that goes for the whole demographic?

My psycho ex-girlfriend loved Ultimate Spider-Man, the only comics she's ever read. I don't know what this means either.

I'll seriously have to come up with a list for this soon. intriguing question, really, as recommendation lists for girls related to comics, video games, or even books, seem to stick with the sappy and the unintelligent.

Surprisingly though, there is one such thing I can recommend that SEEMS that way, so it could be easy enough for any girl to pick up.

Project: Romantic
An Anthology Dedicated to Love and Love Stuff.

2002652889885868824_rs.jpg

It was staring at me on a bookshelf at Kinokuniya, and it was bright pink and it had a cute marshmallow getting intimate with a black stick figure. I mean, how ridiculously cute was that?

It also happens to have some big names involved in the project, and there is such an immense amount of work (35 pieces in all), over a wide variety of genres, that it's impossible to not pick up and love something. And by introducing the reader to a lot of artists, it's easy to pick something else by the same artist later on.

And on a purely aesthetic note, the book takes no stops with the color production, so it's pretty easy to be dazzled by the artwork. (I know at times that introducing something black and white to a complete noobie can be daunting for them: I've had that happen a few times when I tried pushing "Blue Monday" on some folks).

And it's also a sincere homage to the original Romance genre of comics, from both a historical and modern view point. It's also way too much fun.

Fair review of it here. and here.

Latest posts

Back