Complete 1st print set of Ultimate titles?

Living Large

Out of idle curiousity, how many of you have a complete set of the ultimate titles as original first prints? Including the 1/2 issues and Annuals put not including variant covers (especially limited ratio variants) and such. Also, I don't consider Trades in this category. Those are effectively reprints.

Some are reasonably hard to come by and getting harder as time goes on.

The only Ultimates issues I have in singles are the two handbooks. I don't know what print edition they are.

Living Large said:
Out of idle curiousity, how many of you have a complete set of the ultimate titles as original first prints? Including the 1/2 issues and Annuals put not including variant covers (especially limited ratio variants) and such. Also, I don't consider Trades in this category. Those are effectively reprints.

Some are reasonably hard to come by and getting harder as time goes on.

I can't think of any Ultimate issues that went back for a second printintg...

There wasn't a Ultimates 1/2 issue was there?, i know there was one for Spider-man and X-men

DIrishB said:
Are you sure? I thought the early issues of USM went to a second printing due to large sales. I could be wrong, I just thought I remembered reading that.

I could be wrong as well, but I really don't think so. Marvel had gotten away from reprinting when USM started up, and it was only fairly recently that they started doing reprints. This doesn't hold true for TPBs of course, but OP was asking about issues. I really don't think there have been any Ultimate reprints.

Marvel doesn't exactly do second printings. They way they do it is when there is going to be a second printing, they reprint it with a diffrent cover...as in the variants.

Now, this does not hold true when variants are released with the regular covers because

1.) They're first printings as well.

2.) They're released with the first printings in ratios, meaning, they're what I said in 1.

Thank you.

Ice said:
Marvel doesn't exactly do second printings. They way they do it is when there is going to be a second printing, they reprint it with a diffrent cover...as in the variants.

But the question is...have they done that with any Ultimate issues? I dont think they have.

Hellsbuttmonkey said:
Was the Arachnoman issue of USM a variant? or a different version of the story? I didn't buy it...

Both. It wasn't a reprint, it was true variant. The cover was different and every reference in the story to the movie Spider-Man was changed to Arachnoman. But it came out at the same time as the regular issue.

There is a collected edition of Ultimate Spider-man 1-3. That's a reprint of all three. FCBD is a reprint of Ultimate Spider-man 1 basically.

There were a ton of variants that went along with USM 1 that could be classified as reprints because they were not put out at the same time as the original issue. They came later and in different distribution methods. I would call these reprints because they are not 1) the original issue or 2) the white retailer incentive cover.

And Marvel does do reprints, different cover or not. Inside, it actually says 2nd print if you want to get technical. Check the sketch cover issue of Astonishing X-men 8 sometime.

There was only a 1/2 issue for USM and UXM.

I didn't know that about the arachno man issue USM 54.

Last edited:
anyone know where i can find a checklist of the whole Ultimate universe soo far ? i think i have pretty much everything except for ultimate iron man

anyone know where i can find a checklist of the whole Ultimate universe soo far ? i think i have pretty much everything except for ultimate iron man

Let me know if i missed any....

USM 1/2, 1-95, Annual 1 (many variants)
UXM 1/2, 1-70, Annual 1 (sketch variant of 50)
UFF 1-30, Annual 1 (has variant of issue 13 and 21)
Ultimates 1-13
Ultimates 2 1-10, Annual 1 (sketch variant of 1)
Ultimate Marvel Team-up 1-16
USM Special 1
UWar 1-4
UNightmare 1-5
USecret 1-4
UExtinction 1-5
UIron Man 1-5 (issue 1 has 2 regular covers, 1 sketch)
USix 1-7
UDaredevil and Electra 1-5
UElectra 1-4
Ultimate Handbook 1 and 2
U Adventures 1-5
UFF & UXM 1-2
U Hulk vs Wolverine 1-2

BTW, there was also a collected edition of UXM 1-3 which are reprints.

Ice said:
UXM also has a varaint for #61, where it's just the guys on the cover, drawn by Oliver Coipel.

Weren't there 2 variants? I think the Coipel cover also came in a sketch variant - a variant on the variant. :D

And the 1-3 and FCBD aren't true reprints. The FCBD prints are specifically for FCBD. The Must Haves reprint the stories but it's basically a new issue, not a second print.

Also, good list, but there are also 2 variants for UFF #30.

And the 1-3 and FCBD aren't true reprints. The FCBD prints are specifically for FCBD. The Must Haves reprint the stories but it's basically a new issue, not a second print.

I find this an interesting point of view, particularily for collecting purposes. Marvel and DC have done a good job of changing what is percieved as a "second print" in thier favour. It's good for the retailers and for them but not so good for those actually collecting what could be considered true "First printings" of all issues in a set.

These may be a new issue but is not the first time the issue has seen print and is therefore, a second, third, fourth, etc.. printing. The story has already been to print once in it's original form. Anything after that are new printings of the original. Technically.

Variants further confuse the concept of "printings". UFF #21 came out with two covers at a 50:50 ratio. Each are "first prints" (and I only purchased one of them). If they put out another issue that combines issue 21-23 (for example), then this becomes a "second printing" of those same stories and should therefore be worth less in the collector's market. The variants that are 1:10, 1:25 or worse are unique and quite a boon to the retail market because these are truly rare to a collector and therefore worth collecting.

My original question was "Who has a complete set of 1st prints, minus Trades and variants". Interestingly, the idea of what "First print" is has been lost somewhere in the storm of variants that exist today...

BTW, there is also a variant of USM 1/2 from a convention, USM 79 sketch variant from another convention and a few others that I didn't list...

Yes, UXM 61 came with a special dealer incentive sketch variant of the original copiel variant.

Where do the dynamic forces editions come in? The completist doesn't stand a chance in today's market...

Last edited:
no checklist of anykind ? anyone know a resource website that might have one ?

Latest posts

Back