Cool games for the iPod, iPhone, and iPad

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
I've been playing the hell out of my iPod, and figured I'd start a thread for people to post about games for the iPod, iPhone, and iPad.

So, first up:

The Sims 3...not a regular player of this one, but its fun from time to time.

Sim City...more my style.

Solitaire...its a classic. And its even more fun with Touch controls (thats what she said).

Assassin's Creed - Altair's Chronicles...based on the Ubisoft franchise, this prequel explores Altair's past and features pretty decent gameplay for iPod controls.

Assassin's Creed II - Discovery...even better than Altair's Chronicles. Good stuff.

Dungeon Hunter...my all time favorite new game. So much fun. If you enjoy RPG's like Dragon Age - Origins or classics like Diablo 2, you'll probably like this one.

Some pretty decent-looking upcoming games:

Dungeon Hunter II...Oh, YEAH!!!!

Ultimate Spider-Man: Total Mayhem...looks like fun, basically the USM game from Gamecube, Xbox, and PS2 shrunk down for you iPod. Interested to see how well the controls will work, and also interested to see if it features a new storyline (or is just an adaptation of the USM game for consoles) and fits into existing USM continuity.

Looking forward to the Ultimate Spider-Man game.

My son absolutely loves Pocket God. I'm more partial to the EA version of Sudoku, Bejeweled 2, and Tetris.

The implementations of Rock Band and Guitar Hero are also very well done.

Great thread!

Looking forward to the Ultimate Spider-Man game.

My son absolutely loves Pocket God. I'm more partial to the EA version of Sudoku, Bejeweled 2, and Tetris.

Ah, how could I forget Tetris!! I can never make it past Level 13. :(

The implementations of Rock Band and Guitar Hero are also very well done.

I'll have to give those a download and check them out.

Great thread!

Thanks. I could've sworn there was an existing iPod games thread, but I searched and couldn't find it.

Ah, how could I forget Tetris!! I can never make it past Level 13. :(

This version seems to get more difficult more quickly than other versions I've played.

Thanks. I could've sworn there was an existing iPod games thread, but I searched and couldn't find it.

There is an Apple products thread that seems to be focused on the iPhone, but nothing dedicated to the apps.

This version seems to get more difficult more quickly than other versions I've played.

I thought so, but the only other versions of Tetris I've played were on my Gameboy and NES like 20 years ago, so I was a bit fuzzy on the details.

There is an Apple products thread that seems to be focused on the iPhone, but nothing dedicated to the apps.

Ah, ok.

I've been playing Madden 11 on iPad - nice implementation. Not perfect, but much better than last year's iPhone version.

There's also a great iPad game called Little Things where you have a mosaic of tiny objects and you must find various things in it. Here's a review.

There's also a universal game called Babo Crash which is a lot of fun. Probably my favorite game right now. It's like Bejeweled but there's a lot more to it.

I've been playing a game called Galaxy on Fire a lot recently. Its basically a toned down flight sim/space shooter with minor RPG elements (at least for upgrading your ship). The game uses tilt calibration controls to pilot your ship. Lots of fun. The sequel just came out, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Star Battalion, another pretty good flight sim, but more basic than Galaxy on Fire (without the choice of which missions you play when). This one is reminiscent of Star Fox on the Super NES, since most of the missions take place over planets. More interesting environments than GoF. Also good fun.

Ravensword is a game I've only played a little, but it's a medieval fantasy RPG that boasts really impressive graphics and a pretty immersive world for an iPod/iPhone game.

Spartacus - Blood and Sand (based on the mediocre tv show) is a fighting game with pretty clunky and unimpressive controls. Not a fan of this one. It is worth checking out for the horrendously bad character lines before and after each fight. :roll:

Labyrinth, a classic. This is the one where you tilt the iPod in the direction you want the marble to roll, avoiding holes until the end. Classic game, and even better than the original wooden box version. ;)

Space Ace, another Don Bluth game (basically Dragon's Lair in space) is another simple game, fun for the first time but not much replay value.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars HD (iPad) is on sale for $6.99...

Getting my iPad this weekend. Getting a 64GB WiFi model.

Getting my iPad this weekend. Getting a 64GB WiFi model.

Awesome. That's the one I have. I use it more than my phone and laptop combined.

Get the Appshopper app (it's free) and it lets you know when new things are out, and lets you create a "want list" to let you know when apps you want are on sale. That's how I found out about Grand Theft Auto (the iPhone version is also on sale by the way).

I started downloading apps for the iPad as soon as they became available so I'd have them at launch.

I misread her post. I've got the 3G+Wifi model.

Yes, they are all wifi. Either they are *only* wifi, or they are 3G+wifi.

Oh, ok, I understand.

Speaking of which, someone told me that there's no such thing as 4G yet. Even though there are 4G phones, there isn't a working 4G network yet, and basically anyone who buys a 4G capable phone doesn't get the benefits of 4G at this time, but will sometime in the future when the network is up.

I raised my eyebrows at that, but I figured I'd ask here, since so many of you fine folks are so tech savvy.

I've read the same thing from several different sources. I don't know the details of why.

EA is running a pretty major sale on it's iPad games...I just picked up Need for Speed and Scrabble for $5 each. They are regularly $13 and $10. Tetris and Boggle and a few others are also on sale.

Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Gunner is out!

I just played it and it's great. You have to play it sitting in a spinning chair to get the full effect.

Hey guys,
I'm looking in getting an iPad, most likely without 3G. I just don't know if I should get the 64GB or just get the 16GB. How many apps/games can you store on it?

Hey guys,
I'm looking in getting an iPad, most likely without 3G. I just don't know if I should get the 64GB or just get the 16GB. How many apps/games can you store on it?

If you're going to use it for games/apps/books/streaming, then 16GB is completely fine, as most apps are only a couple MB or so in size. If you're going to want music/video on iPad as well, it never hurts to have more space. I personally use mine for watching videos on the go, so I opted for the 64GB model.

Latest posts

Back