Countdown Series Discussion (SPOILERS!)

I like this series but the whole timeline is screwing me up. There are so many tie in books that it is impossible to tell what is happening and when. Like if you read countdown to adventure, earth is under attack by lady styx virus. But that doesn't appear anywhere else. So when exactly is this happening? And the forerunner story in there is all time screwy also. All in all I can get past the timeline issues. I am looking forward to see what this final crisis brings. I am mostly excited about how it wil tie into blackest night in Green Lantern.

I like this series but the whole timeline is screwing me up. There are so many tie in books that it is impossible to tell what is happening and when. Like if you read countdown to adventure, earth is under attack by lady styx virus. But that doesn't appear anywhere else. So when exactly is this happening? And the forerunner story in there is all time screwy also. All in all I can get past the timeline issues. I am looking forward to see what this final crisis brings. I am mostly excited about how it wil tie into blackest night in Green Lantern.

Well, Countdown hasn't taken place on Earth in quite a few issues, so I guess you could fit that stuff in anywhere recently. I don't know though, I don't read any of the tie-ins.

Well, Countdown hasn't taken place on Earth in quite a few issues, so I guess you could fit that stuff in anywhere recently. I don't know though, I don't read any of the tie-ins.

I guess so. The tie-ins are pretty good. Countdown to Mystery has been good and Death of the New Gods is also pretty good. I like how there are so many little pieces to this story that will supposedly come together. But it does seem like the tie-ins are basically extra and not necessary to follow the whole story. The one thing I like is how there is not a lot of repetition between the tie-ins and the main titles like Marvel did with Civil War and WW Hulk. Seemed like when you read a tie-in to Marvels big events you got a lot of stuff that you had already seen in other books, just from a different pov. That annoyed me cuz I didn't feel like I was getting anything new for my $3 and it is boring to read the same sh*t over and over again.

So, you know what's tragic about this book?

It could have potentially been good. The hooks for each of the storylines had potential to be interesting. The characters had potential to be interesting. Maybe I missed some stuff. I dropped it about ten issues in and only picked it back up in the ten issue last stretch, but it's like they had these set-ups for these characters, and they had a list of changes that they wanted to reach for Final Crisis, but they didn't have anything worthwhile to wedge between the two. So instead we get badly written characters and lots and lots of nothing, so when the plots start to pay out, no one gives a **** about the characters or the plots or anything. At least I don't. The origin of Kamandi's world SHOULD matter to me. It should be wicked awesome.

But really, who the **** cares?

Stop killing Legionnaires
you dialogue-less $153-costing piece of crap!

Yeah. Way lame.

BE: Very epic. It had a Marshall Rogers feel to it. This issue's narration style was remarkable. If you love this series or if you hate it, you have to give huge props to the storytelling this issue.

JE: It was quite a risk to tell the tale solely from Buddy Blank's point of view, and quite a change in the regular storytelling devices.

BE: The solo narration lent a genuine air of desperation to the story.

STOP TALKING ABOUT COUNTDOWN LIKE IT'S A FINE WINE YOU STUPID ****S!

Yes, she was eaten by rats
in Countdown 5.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We're going to find out in Batman RIP that the Joker became the Joker after reading this book.

I thought Countdown 05 was very good. Una's heroic demise was powerful and seeing the origin of Kamandi's world was fascinating. The first person narration is an effective twist and the art was solid. I suppose it didn't align with everything DC has ever published but "A foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of small minds" (Ralph Waldo Emerson).

I thought Countdown 05 was very good.

Oh really... I doubt Lee Marvin would say the same, but continue...

Una's heroic demise was powerful

getting eaten by mutant rats was powerful? Really? The set-up is that an ideal version of the DC Universe is being overrun by a fiercely mutating disease from one-thousand years in the future and the best they can do is the storyline's lead getting eaten by rats and Superman in a Teen Wolf mask?

and seeing the origin of Kamandi's world was fascinating.

What, particularly, was fascinating about it? A bunch of people turn into animals and then folks explode nukes. And it takes two issues for that to happen.

The first person narration is an effective twist

I don't know. I feel like it's a sad state of affairs when we have to refer to a change in narration as a "twist". That said, first person present narration doesn't work when the tension of the situation isn't ratcheted up, and the level of peril just seemed absent entirely. Maybe because we weren't given any means to connect to the character narrating.

and the art was solid.

I suppose it didn't align with everything DC has ever published but "A foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of small minds" (Ralph Waldo Emerson).

The problem isn't that it's inconsistent. It's that it's just bad. And it really shouldn't be. The premise of the individual stories are all interesting. And the endpoints (which I'm guessing were probably broad dictates by Grant Morrison, of where he wanted certain elements of the DCU to be when he started Final Crisis) could be dramatic if they'd been written with strength. But the path from start to finish has just been so clumsy that there's no gravity to anything that happens in this story. Ugh... I mean, there's so much that could be done with any one of the storylines, but instead.... It's just terrible.

The only thing I liked was the Kamandi explanation because as I remember the original story, it's like Panet of the Apes and he's basically Charlton Heston. Also I think this is the ploy that will be used to justify the presence of the Zoo Crew. SO eventually, this is how the world takes a turn for the worse. All the heroes die eventually and these now speaking and intelligent animals will take over the world in much the same way Magneto might have wanted for the mutants. So when/if Kamandi is introduced, you have the original story with everything explained. I hope I followed the stories correctly or else this theory is bunk.

I think that explaining the great disaster in a weekly comic where there are a lot of other storylines is not a good idea.
We don't know that earth or it's heroes, and it happens so fast (2 issues). They should have made the great disaster in a mini or something like that.
I didn't think it was that good, but it wasn't THAT bad.

Latest posts

Back